Queer & Celtic

Dec 15, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

Published by Minneapolis, MN-based Squares and Rebels Press, which primarily promotes literary works by LGBT poets and writers "who have a strong connection to the Midwest," "Queer & Celtic," a new collection of Irish memories, poetry, essays, plays, and short stories, is a powerful reflection on family, community, and Celtic culture.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2013

Judged:

Nothing on earth like a Celt .. sizzling stuff ..

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2013

Judged:

david traversa wrote:
Nothing on earth like a Celt .. sizzling stuff ..
The Celts don't exist anymore.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2013

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Welsh and Bretons.

Since: May 12

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
If I don't exist anymore, why am I still paying taxes?
LIbEralS

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

DragonHung wrote:
<quoted text>
If I don't exist anymore, why am I still paying taxes?
Hey, death and taxes are the 2 givens here on Obama's earth. Nothing says that the second one ends just because you don't exist.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. They still exist in groups in various places. The Celts included Scotts, Irish, Welsh, and some English.
In some parts of the UK they still at times speak the old language.
http://www.americeltic.net/people.html Celt generally refers to people from Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Scotland, the Isle of Mann, Brittany (in France), as well as Galicia and Asturias in Spain. But most of the peoples of Europe, with the exception of Italy, southern Spain and Greece, are Celtic in varying amounts.
...Celts originated in Central Europe, and left a strong legacy of Celtic culture in Switzerland, Austria and Hungary. Scandinavians, Germans and Slavs generally have evolved from the older Celtic peoples that once dominated part of the Balkans, Spain and northward throughout Europe and parts of northwest Asia.
http://www.leyline.org/cra/celts.html The word Celt (kelt) was first used by the Greeks in the 6th century BC to refer to the tribes of peoples scattered across Europe north of the Alps and the River Danube. These peoples, connected by a common language, were free-spirited, fierce warriors renowned for their metal work, love of talk and feasting, and spirituality (embodied by their priest-class, the Druids), but they were primarily known to the Greeks and Romans as fierce adversaries.
...At the height of their power the Celtic tribes dominated Europe from the Black Sea to the British Isles, from Galicia in northwest Spain to Galatia in modern-day Turkey. They sacked Rome in 387 BC and large portions of Greece, including the holy city of Delphi, a hundred years later. But the Celts, possibly because of their wonderful love of freedom, never organized into a unified, coherent society as the Greeks and Romans did. And it was their downfall.
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I meant , of course , their descendants .. genes play an important part in how we look and act .. always considering there's no such thing as a " pure " race .

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

Judged:

Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. They still exist in groups in various places. The Celts included Scotts, Irish, Welsh, and some English.
In some parts of the UK they still at times speak the old language.
http://www.americeltic.net/people.html Celt generally refers to people from Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Scotland, the Isle of Mann, Brittany (in France), as well as Galicia and Asturias in Spain. But most of the peoples of Europe, with the exception of Italy, southern Spain and Greece, are Celtic in varying amounts.
...Celts originated in Central Europe, and left a strong legacy of Celtic culture in Switzerland, Austria and Hungary. Scandinavians, Germans and Slavs generally have evolved from the older Celtic peoples that once dominated part of the Balkans, Spain and northward throughout Europe and parts of northwest Asia.
http://www.leyline.org/cra/celts.html The word Celt (kelt) was first used by the Greeks in the 6th century BC to refer to the tribes of peoples scattered across Europe north of the Alps and the River Danube. These peoples, connected by a common language, were free-spirited, fierce warriors renowned for their metal work, love of talk and feasting, and spirituality (embodied by their priest-class, the Druids), but they were primarily known to the Greeks and Romans as fierce adversaries.
...At the height of their power the Celtic tribes dominated Europe from the Black Sea to the British Isles, from Galicia in northwest Spain to Galatia in modern-day Turkey. They sacked Rome in 387 BC and large portions of Greece, including the holy city of Delphi, a hundred years later. But the Celts, possibly because of their wonderful love of freedom, never organized into a unified, coherent society as the Greeks and Romans did. And it was their downfall.
And in modern times, don't forget Scottish communities in Cape Breton, Irish people in Newfoundland and some other places and Welsh people in Patagonia, all areas where there is a strong identification with ancestral culture (mostly due to remoteness). And the Galicians don't speak Celtic but their music and culture also has strong Celtic influence as part of their heritage.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2013

david traversa wrote:
<quoted text>I meant , of course , their descendants .. genes play an important part in how we look and act .. always considering there's no such thing as a " pure " race .
Except perhaps the Basque people.
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

I'm gay and Scotch Irish. Hip hip HOORAY!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

Brown Lipstick wrote:
Or the Ashkenazis, eh snyper?
The Basque are one of only three genetically unique peoples on the planet, AND the only linguistically unique.

You are an idiot, ya know.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
The Basque are one of only three genetically unique peoples on the planet, AND the only linguistically unique.
You are an idiot, ya know.
You are incorrect about linguistically unique, however. There are quite a number of language isolates. The one with the most speakers is probably Korean, which has not definitely been related to anything. Some of the isolates are dying, which is truly unfortunate. A good example here in Canada is the Haida language which has fewer and fewer speakers as time goes on.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2013

JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect about linguistically unique, however. There are quite a number of language isolates. The one with the most speakers is probably Korean, which has not definitely been related to anything. Some of the isolates are dying, which is truly unfortunate. A good example here in Canada is the Haida language which has fewer and fewer speakers as time goes on.
The Basque is the oldest that we know of. I should have qualified it, I guess.

It's been too many years (decades <blush>) since my AnthroLing studies.

Oops.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 12 min EASTER 26,172
Global cooling 'undeniable,' scientists say 1 hr Gen DeShawn Jesus Patton 9
The truth about arab aggression against israel 1 hr Gen DeShawn Jesus Patton 16
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr Seattle Slime 31,841
The Impeachment Delusion 2 hr Seattle Slime 9
Get away from the cities and all the crime 4 hr Bellweather 4
Springtime in Chicago 4 hr Bellweather 28
•••
•••