WCCO Radio loses a legend: Steve Cann...

WCCO Radio loses a legend: Steve Cannon dies at 81

There are 38 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 6, 2009, titled WCCO Radio loses a legend: Steve Cannon dies at 81. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Steve Cannon, one of WCCO-AM's legendary voices, died Monday of cancer, the radio station reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
fairandbalanced

AOL

#1 Apr 6, 2009
Steve, we'll miss you, buddy.

“Live Life with GUSTO!!!”

Since: Jun 08

St. Paul, MN

#2 Apr 6, 2009
Cannon you were one of the original all-time good guys of WCCO radio that spoke for the common person and loved Minnesota with a big heart. You will be missed my friend along with your legendary cast of characters.

As the ancient Roman axiom states; "...sine non qua...". Cannon you truly were 'without equal'! Rest in peace and may the good Lord find a place for you in the broadcast studios of Heaven.
Jim

Steamboat Springs, CO

#4 Apr 6, 2009
"The Cannon Mess" was always on my radio when I drove home from work! Every show started with "The Barking Dogs of Eveleth".

Once I had a relative from California riding with me and when Cannon introduced Morgan Mundane as the sports editor of the Congressional Quarterly, he turned to me and said with complete seriousness "I never knew the Congressional Quarterly covered sports! I always thought it was just politics. What you don't learn!" I think Cannon would have gotten a kick out of that. RIP.
former East Sider

Azusa, CA

#5 Apr 7, 2009
Steve was from that long-ago era when 'CCO was actually fun to listen to. Boone & Erickson, Howard Viken, Joyce LaMont, Chuck Lilligren, Steve Cannon ... I miss all their voices.
clinging to the wreckage

Abingdon, MD

#7 Apr 7, 2009
I still have my "Sid's Suit City" clothing labels that Steveo (as I believe Morgan M. called him) sent out to listeners upon request back in 1970 or so. One of the highlights of coming back to the Twin Cities over the years was tuning in the Cannon Mess. Although I have been exposed to a lot of radio programs in many locations, none compared favorably to Steve's consistent performance. Count me among those standing out on the "Boulevard of Broken Hearts" today. RIP Steve and thanks for the hours and hours of real entertainment.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Apr 7, 2009
rest in peace Steve..you brought me many hours of enjoyment, and i am very thankful
God bless

“it takes a lot to laugh...”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#9 Apr 7, 2009
Rest in peace.
Josh S

Chaska, MN

#10 Apr 7, 2009
I doubt we'll ever hear his like again. It's a sad day, but hearing about this also brings back many good memories of listening to his show.
Jim

Saint Petersburg, FL

#11 Apr 7, 2009
I first heard Steve on WMIN and later listened to him on WLOL. I have lived in numerous large cities and each one has their favorite radio personality. Steve is at the top of my list both for his voice and unbelievable creative talent. He was truely one of a kind. My top 5 would be Steve Cannon, Paul Harvey, Cedric Adams, H.B. Kaltinborn and Edward R. Murrow. I am sure there are others my memory has lost, but no one could forget Steve Cannon
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Apr 7, 2009
The Twin Cities lost a great radio personality.
Inquirer

United States

#13 Apr 7, 2009
When I first moved to Minnesota in 1987, the Cannon Mess was the first show that I enjoyed. After all, who could resist the singing dog routine or the wisdom and exertise of Morgan Mundane.

Cannon was funny as heck. He once presented the high school championship on TV and did a great job as well.

I learned this morning that he invented the phrase ''close, personal friend'' which is a catch phrase in this state.

A true Minnesota Gem, he will be sorely missed.
Don in Venice

Auburn Hills, MI

#15 Apr 7, 2009
Jim wrote:
"The Cannon Mess" was always on my radio when I drove home from work! Every show started with "The Barking Dogs of Eveleth".
Once I had a relative from California riding with me and when Cannon introduced Morgan Mundane as the sports editor of the Congressional Quarterly, he turned to me and said with complete seriousness "I never knew the Congressional Quarterly covered sports! I always thought it was just politics. What you don't learn!" I think Cannon would have gotten a kick out of that. RIP.
I remember Steve doing Morgam Mundane so convincingly that Cal Griffith banned Morgan from the Twins clubhouse.
MFB

United States

#16 Apr 7, 2009
Good night, old friend.
Ack

San Francisco, CA

#17 Apr 7, 2009
Steve's show was of national broadcast quality and he was right here in the Twin Cities. When I was growing up, Steve WAS radio. RIP, Steve.
radiotapes

United States

#18 Apr 7, 2009
In addition to the Pavek website, Steve Cannon audio clips can be heard at the following websites:

http://www.830wcco.com/In-Memory-Of/4123966

www.radiotapes.com
Save US

AOL

#19 Apr 7, 2009
former East Sider wrote:
Steve was from that long-ago era when 'CCO was actually fun to listen to. Boone & Erickson, Howard Viken, Joyce LaMont, Chuck Lilligren, Steve Cannon ... I miss all their voices.
I could not agree more. Those were the Golden Days of Minnesota radio and Steve Cannon was one of the best. I even remember when he did the sports news on KSTP TV. "Nighty night" Steve and RIP.
Ward Cleaver

Burnsville, MN

#20 Apr 7, 2009
Always had Cannon on the radio during the ride home from work. WCCO went down hill after he left.
R.I.P. Morgan Mundane.
Another East Sider

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Apr 7, 2009
One of my earliest memories is waking up to Steve's "barking dog song"!! My parents used to get up about 5am for breakfast,and from my room I could smell the coffee and bacon and hear the "barking dog song"!! This was in the late '50's when he was at KSTP. A lovely way to start the day!

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Apr 7, 2009
I was on my way to work one morning when Steve,still on KSTP, called up Benny at Sid's TV. Steve said he had a broken microphone and wanted to know if Sid could fix it. Benny opined that the ohms might have leaked out of the mike, "gotta have lots of ohms in there." I was an electronics technician at the time and broke up completely.

We'll not see another like him.
Ed B

Minneapolis, MN

#23 Apr 7, 2009
Don Shelby is OK for the PM drivetime, but no one else can ever beat Steve Cannon and all the Little Cammpms!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Club calls police on black women golfers over s... 2 hr The Lumber Jack 6
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 2 hr positronium 39,171
News Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 4 hr payer 26,705
Crassus, fovr, davy Tue Space ace 6
Comey beng investigated by IG Tue MAGAfiggypops 9
Exploding Ant plows van into pedestrians in Tor... Tue The Lumber Jack 11
Try me Apr 23 Space ace 5

Minneapolis Jobs

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages