DFL Rep. bill requiring swim instruct...

DFL Rep. bill requiring swim instruction in schools is "a civil rights issue"

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#1 Apr 22, 2014
Really? A civil rights issue? People of color can't take their kids to the local beach and teach them to swim? Or send them to an instructor outside of school? Is there anything that is not a civil rights issue to these people? Who votes for these fools? When can "whitey" expect to be done with paying for the sins of those long since dead?

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2014/04/df...
Trigger

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Apr 22, 2014
IF the kid that drowned, RIP, was not in a Government pool without a lifeguard he would be alive today. This is a classic case of fixing the wrong problem and wasteing a lot of $$$.

The Government will require ALL school districts to be equiped with swimming pools in order to teach swimming skills. When they really need to equip existing pools with life guards. YES, kids should learn how to swim but classes at lakes in summer have always worked in out area.

Swimming doesn't need to include olympic level performance in every type of stoke. Kids need to be compfortable (not fear it) in water and simply need to know how to stay afloat, dog paddle, float etc. Again ALL Government pools need to be equipped with life guards.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Apr 22, 2014
That's weird we had swimming in grade school and high School here in the cities ever since I could remember in public school.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Apr 22, 2014
Trigger wrote:
IF the kid that drowned, RIP, was not in a Government pool without a lifeguard he would be alive today. This is a classic case of fixing the wrong problem and wasteing a lot of $$$.
The Government will require ALL school districts to be equiped with swimming pools in order to teach swimming skills. When they really need to equip existing pools with life guards. YES, kids should learn how to swim but classes at lakes in summer have always worked in out area.
Swimming doesn't need to include olympic level performance in every type of stoke. Kids need to be compfortable (not fear it) in water and simply need to know how to stay afloat, dog paddle, float etc. Again ALL Government pools need to be equipped with life guards.
The schools with pools DO have lifeguards during paid swimming. As a cya move.
What stops many kids from learning is the cost and time. As well as distance from a pool.

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Apr 22, 2014
redeemer wrote:
That's weird we had swimming in grade school and high School here in the cities ever since I could remember in public school.
For me, swimming lessons was not a part of gym until the junior high I attended got built. And it had a pool as part of the school.
My earliest lessons I had to be driven by bus from the drop off/pickup point at a elementary school, then driven by bus to the pool in Maple Grove. This was when I was in elementary school at the time.
I can see why swimming should be part of gym class in school. Not many parents have the resources to haul their kid to and from either the pool itself, or at least the drop off/pickup point that the officials running the program have. Nor do many parents have the funds to pay for the schooling out of their paycheck after paying for everything else.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Apr 22, 2014
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
For me, swimming lessons was not a part of gym until the junior high I attended got built. And it had a pool as part of the school.
My earliest lessons I had to be driven by bus from the drop off/pickup point at a elementary school, then driven by bus to the pool in Maple Grove. This was when I was in elementary school at the time.
I can see why swimming should be part of gym class in school. Not many parents have the resources to haul their kid to and from either the pool itself, or at least the drop off/pickup point that the officials running the program have. Nor do many parents have the funds to pay for the schooling out of their paycheck after paying for everything else.
You're right Sang we use to have swimming meets with other high schools and competed ,and since our schools were always integrated civil rights in education wasn't an issue and I'm talking about in the early 60's,the writer of that article must not have grew up here,he's probably from the deep south.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Apr 22, 2014
Trigger wrote:
You make a good point trigger,also we getting a lot of immigrants from all over the world
and some of these children just never had the opportunity that we had,also I appreciate that you didn't make this issue a racist slander light Can't attempted to make.
Trigger

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Apr 22, 2014
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
The schools with pools DO have lifeguards during paid swimming. As a cya move.
What stops many kids from learning is the cost and time. As well as distance from a pool.
We have swimming lessons at the local beach. There are a few areas in the land of 10,000 lakes without a beach and maybe those districts need a pool.

I'd guess the vast majority of kids have parents that can afford to pay a nominal fee to keep their kids alive. It might mean going without smokes, drinks, dope or some other non-essential stuff. In this case the kid was in a pool at a school and there never have been a period of time without a life guard AT ANY TIME.

This school really blew it!

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Apr 22, 2014
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text> You're right Sang we use to have swimming meets with other high schools and competed ,and since our schools were always integrated civil rights in education wasn't an issue and I'm talking about in the early 60's,the writer of that article must not have grew up here,he's probably from the deep south.
When I was in junior high. About 1/4 at least of my gym class had never been swimming before it became part of the program.
Even with swimming areas that the city has. Many of them had parents who didn't believe in girls knowing how to swim.

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Apr 23, 2014
Trigger wrote:
<quoted text>
We have swimming lessons at the local beach. There are a few areas in the land of 10,000 lakes without a beach and maybe those districts need a pool.
I'd guess the vast majority of kids have parents that can afford to pay a nominal fee to keep their kids alive. It might mean going without smokes, drinks, dope or some other non-essential stuff. In this case the kid was in a pool at a school and there never have been a period of time without a life guard AT ANY TIME.
This school really blew it!
There you are wrong. Take a look at GoogleEarth to see your mistake. The lakes with a beach is not in range of everyone in Minnesota. Most are in very remote places.
The lakes follow the path of what the glaciers carved out. Not all of Minnesota residents live within a one to two miles of a lake or pond even. Some are just as far away from a creek even. Even if that creek was deep enough to swim in.
As for lifeguards at swimming areas. Not all outdoor swimming areas have them. It is truly a swim at your own risk type.
As for poor kids. Not all poor families have adults that smoke, drink, and or do drugs. They are living from paycheck to paycheck. Some have to either scrounge around for clothing and or make it.
Plus, in the metro here, one can spend up to two hours trying to get to a beach via bus. If they had the cash to do so. Since very few bus routes come within walking distance of a lake with a beach. Since there are not as many lakes as you think there are here.

Rogers, MN

#11 Apr 23, 2014
Ok so if a school has a pool I have no problem with offering swimming lessons. And there should be a lifeguard on duty when the pool is in use. But it's not a "civil rights" issue that demands we start building pools in the schools that don't have them. If your local school doesn't have a pool, take your kids to the Y.

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Apr 23, 2014
cantmakeitup wrote:
Ok so if a school has a pool I have no problem with offering swimming lessons. And there should be a lifeguard on duty when the pool is in use. But it's not a "civil rights" issue that demands we start building pools in the schools that don't have them. If your local school doesn't have a pool, take your kids to the Y.
Not every city has a Y.
Many of the stuff that we have in the metro here. Is not available in all cities of this state.
Cath

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Apr 23, 2014
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
Not every city has a Y.
Many of the stuff that we have in the metro here. Is not available in all cities of this state.
And there in is a slippery slope.

The DFL seem to think EVERYONE in the state is entitled to the same amenities. From farm country to pathetic Pine County to Gunflint Lake to Minneapolis and to Nisswa. The DFL feels EVERYONE is entitled to the same stuff.

Providing the same service to everyone would be very expensive and unjustified. People in DT Mpls andm those living in rural Pine County will NEVER have equal services and NEVER should. If people in Pine County want the same stuff as people in Mpls then MOVE TO MPLS!!

The legislative idiots are starting on just such a project with $25,000,000 dedicated to Broadband, to be supplied by Hiawatha Broadband. Idiots!! Wasting the money they overcharged the taxpayers. When will it ever end?

Rogers, MN

#14 Apr 23, 2014
Sangelia wrote:
<quoted text>
Not every city has a Y.
True. But when it comes down to it, no one has a "right" to swimming lessons or a pool in their school. No matter what race they are.

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Apr 23, 2014
cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>
True. But when it comes down to it, no one has a "right" to swimming lessons or a pool in their school. No matter what race they are.
I see it more as a thing to incorporate into the school gym program. Just like Home Ec should be a mandatory set of courses as well for both genders.
Too many folks assume throwing a factory made meal into the microwave is the only way to cook. When it is not. When it ends up being cheaper to make home made meals.
But in the case of swimming, it is a good way to exercise. And after you get the cost of the suit per person. It is cheaper going to the lake in the warm months. Than to be paying some health club membership to use a pool that may not have been cleaned in a year or more.
Jose de Jesus Mendez

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Apr 23, 2014
No matter what all u rednecks think, institutional racism is the root of this problem. We need to provide pools, lifeguards, and tacos for all children in this country. Otherwise admit it, you are racist.
LIbEralS

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Apr 23, 2014
The stat used to be something like 1 in every 8 people weren't boyant. In other words, 1 out of every 8 people might not be able to swim well enough to save their own life. I would assume that the stat may have changed since the 80's when I first heard it since the entire nation is getting fat and fat floats...

Rogers, MN

#18 Apr 23, 2014
Jose de Jesus Mendez wrote:
No matter what all u rednecks think, institutional racism is the root of this problem. We need to provide pools, lifeguards, and tacos for all children in this country. Otherwise admit it, you are racist.
And here all this time, I thought I was racist because I refused to vote for the corrupt Senator from Illinois.

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Apr 23, 2014
Jose de Jesus Mendez wrote:
Why tacos? Why not another ethnic group's meals? Most of the foods we eat today in America came from several different countries.
Also, why not teach the folks how to cook. This way they are not dependent on others for meals.
Too many folks do not know how to cook even a basic meal these days. No matter what ethnic food or American adapted form is used for a meal.
Just like many folks do not know how to swim.

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Apr 23, 2014
LIbEralS wrote:
The stat used to be something like 1 in every 8 people weren't boyant. In other words, 1 out of every 8 people might not be able to swim well enough to save their own life. I would assume that the stat may have changed since the 80's when I first heard it since the entire nation is getting fat and fat floats...
No, due to how folks are built. As in fat amounts is why folks either are buoyant or not.
The fatter the person, the more they can float. Since fats unlike muscle and other parts are able to float.
This explains why the thin person has to expend more energy to try and keep their head above water.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Woman must take down Trump 2 hr Crassus 3
Racism: Tips & Tools for White People 3 hr Crassus 3
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 5 hr LIbEralS 37,418
Rocket Man! 7 hr Irish 9
Earthquake: Little Girl Trapped in the Rubble 7 hr Irish 1
Hurricane Maria Ah Yah Yea 8 hr Irish 1
Irish: I'm Back 8 hr Irish 1

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance