Union's Stubborn Stand Kills Hostess, 18,500 jobs

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CRASSUS

Green Bay, WI

#1 Nov 16, 2012
TWINKIES DEAD: A small union's stubbornness in contract talks with Hostess is being blamed for the shutdown of one of America's snack food icons, the loss of 18,500 jobs and much-needed tax revenue from hundreds of plants and shops across the country.

The privately-held company had reached a deal with the Teamsters, but a smaller union representing bakery workers refused to agree to concessions, prompting the mass layoffs and closing down of hundreds of plants, bakeries and delivery routes. That prompted harsh words from both the company and from Teamsters officials.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/16/hostess-...
Bob of Many Names

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Nov 16, 2012
How many threads do you need on the same topic? Maybe you should post it a few times more in case someone did see the first few.

The union did not shut down Hostess. The employees voted to reject the unfair wage reductions.

You should really quote a NEWS source, by the way, rather than an entertainment network.
CRASSUS

Green Bay, WI

#3 Nov 16, 2012
Bob of Many Names wrote:
How many threads do you need on the same topic? Maybe you should post it a few times more in case someone did see the first few.
The union did not shut down Hostess. The employees voted to reject the unfair wage reductions.
You should really quote a NEWS source, by the way, rather than an entertainment network.
Union? This is a story about dead homosexuals like you will soon be. "TWINKIES DEAD"

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#4 Nov 16, 2012
What a sad day for the 13,500 or so employees that are not members of the BCTGM union, but because of that union's actions are now out of a job.

Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to all those loyal unionistas.
Bob of Many Names

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Nov 16, 2012
It just burns you up to know that somewhere there are union employees that make a living wage, doesn't it.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Nov 16, 2012
I have not eaten a Twinkie in many years. I just may have to buy one purely for nostalgia's sake. I preferred Ho Hos and Suzy-Qs.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

#7 Nov 16, 2012
Bob of Many Names wrote:
It just burns you up to know that somewhere there are union employees that make a living wage, doesn't it.
What kind of wage does unemployeed workers make?
CRASSUS

Green Bay, WI

#8 Nov 16, 2012
Wade Gustafson wrote:
I have not eaten a Twinkie in many years. I just may have to buy one purely for nostalgia's sake. I preferred Ho Hos and Suzy-Qs.
You've just been sucking the filling out of them.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

#9 Nov 16, 2012
As part of the consesions Hostess offered the unions a 25% equity stake in the company and offered 25% of its board seats to union representitives.

P.S. One of the major sticking points was Hostess passing off an increase in healthcare costs to the employees as well as decreasing their contribution to the union health care plan. Wasn't the ACA supposed to lower health care costs?
Bob of Many Names

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Nov 16, 2012
Bridgework wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of wage does unemployeed workers make?
In Minnesota? 50% of their wage when they were employed. You can find more information on the state website.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

#12 Nov 16, 2012
Is RawMoney a Hostess cupcake, I heard he hasn't had a "job" since 2003 ??? LMAOROTFU~! Really poor Americans taking joy out of American unemployment, but of course, you'll complain about feeding your fellow man, soon too...right ???

Hey, donate nutritious "sugar"...
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

#13 Nov 16, 2012
Bob of Many Names wrote:
<quoted text>
In Minnesota? 50% of their wage when they were employed. You can find more information on the state website.
You consider that a living wage?
Bob of Many Names

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Nov 16, 2012
Bridgework wrote:
<quoted text>
You consider that a living wage?
Republicans don't care if it is a living wage. In fact, if people like Smart Liberal had their way, nobody in America would make more than $10 per hour so the rich can get richer.

That's why Republicans are so anti-union.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

#15 Nov 16, 2012
Bob of Many Names wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans don't care if it is a living wage. In fact, if people like Smart Liberal had their way, nobody in America would make more than $10 per hour so the rich can get richer.
Why did Obama keep bringing up the 4 million new jobs when 2.6 million of them were low paying?
The Truth Squad

Rancho Mirage, CA

#16 Nov 16, 2012
Stubborn, overpaid union leaders with too much power are the biggest problem for union workers.

Former MN Tax Payer

#17 Nov 16, 2012
Bob of Many Names wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep trying, little man. You think that people get rich by paying others less? You are really showing your stupidity.

People get rich by providing products and/or services that are demanded by an end user, for a price that the end user and the producer agree to - and then finding a way to become more efficient and productive than your competitors.

If I pay you $2.00 per hour and sell nothing, I lose money.

But if I pay you $100 per hour and sell $1,000 per hour as a result of having you on my payroll, I will get rich very quickly.

It ain't about low wages. It is about productivity and the cost to produce a product or service.
Consistent

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Nov 16, 2012
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep trying, little man. You think that people get rich by paying others less? You are really showing your stupidity.
People get rich by providing products and/or services that are demanded by an end user, for a price that the end user and the producer agree to - and then finding a way to become more efficient and productive than your competitors.
If I pay you $2.00 per hour and sell nothing, I lose money.
But if I pay you $100 per hour and sell $1,000 per hour as a result of having you on my payroll, I will get rich very quickly.
It ain't about low wages. It is about productivity and the cost to produce a product or service.
So if I can sell a widget for $10, and it costs me $5 to produce a widget in the US paying $25/hour wages + taxes + fringe and I move production to China where it costs me $1 to prduce a widget paying $1/hour wages + taxes + fringe and my shipping cost goes up $1 per widget, I won't make a lot more money?

Former MN Tax Payer

#19 Nov 16, 2012
Consistent wrote:
<quoted text>
So if I can sell a widget for $10, and it costs me $5 to produce a widget in the US paying $25/hour wages + taxes + fringe and I move production to China where it costs me $1 to prduce a widget paying $1/hour wages + taxes + fringe and my shipping cost goes up $1 per widget, I won't make a lot more money?
Why not produce the widget in the US for $1.90 instead of the $2 (producton plus freight) it would cost in China?

Then you can sell three times as many widgets for $5 and become one of the uber rich.
Bob of Many Names

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Nov 16, 2012
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not produce the widget in the US for $1.90 instead of the $2 (producton plus freight) it would cost in China?
Then you can sell three times as many widgets for $5 and become one of the uber rich.
Because you'd need to have a boatload of illegal immigrants willing to work for $2 an hour with no benefits to produce the widgets for $1.90 in the US, that's why.

Former MN Tax Payer

#21 Nov 16, 2012
Bob of Many Names wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you'd need to have a boatload of illegal immigrants willing to work for $2 an hour with no benefits to produce the widgets for $1.90 in the US, that's why.
Union mentality means no progress.

Automate. Robotics. Invention.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 4 hr VN Vet 32,996
Autopsy reports on Ferguson Shooting 6 hr Space ace 15
Local widow of Ebola victim waiting for survivo... 15 hr Free Money 1
Twin Cities: lowest metro unemployment rate in US 18 hr Liberal 24
Nina Pham 'cured of Ebola' and set to meet Obama 19 hr Liberal 6
New York physician tests positive for Ebola Fri cantmakeitup 4
He fled, fired -- and died (Feb '07) Fri Gonar 163
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match

Minneapolis Jobs