Tax-free Internet shopping jeopardized by bill

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#1 Apr 23, 2013
Yet another unwarranted law that we don't need. Another way for Congress to dodge the real issues like a balanced budget, cutting spending, N. Korea, the middle-east etc. You know, all of that stuff they seem to be ignoring.

http://news.yahoo.com/tax-free-internet-shopp...
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Apr 23, 2013
This is a state by state issue. Congress should keep their nose out of it.

I'm undecided about collecting sales tax on internet sales. I am somewhat opposed because I know that it will just increase the revenue the legislature has to spend and will not reduce taxes elsewhere. On the other hand, the brick and morter retail stores have to collect sales taxes and it puts them at a competitive disadvantage.
Bushwhacker

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Apr 23, 2013
Bricks and mortar pays property taxes, pays employees, pays the baggage of employees, pays all the corporate taxes in a state like Minnesota, pays for inventory, pays sales tax, pays for heat-light-maintenance-managem ent-etc..

Internet sales escape the majority of brick and mortar operation AND don't contribute sales taxes to the state.

It's TIME for all retailers pay sales taxes.

Rogers, MN

#4 Apr 23, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
Bricks and mortar pays property taxes, pays employees, pays the baggage of employees, pays all the corporate taxes in a state like Minnesota, pays for inventory, pays sales tax, pays for heat-light-maintenance-managem ent-etc..
Internet sales escape the majority of brick and mortar operation AND don't contribute sales taxes to the state.
It's TIME for all retailers pay sales taxes.
Companies like Amazon also pay all of those taxes and costs in the locations where they have office or warehouse space. I agree with Wade that this should be handled at the state level, not the federal level. Local "brick and mortar" stores offer value added services that on line retailers cannot. Let the consumers decide where they want to shop. Perfect example of this is purchasing tires on line. You still have to get all of the mounting, balancing, etc done at a local shop.
Bushwhacker

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Apr 23, 2013
cantmakeitup wrote:
<quoted text>
Companies like Amazon also pay all of those taxes and costs in the locations where they have office or warehouse space. I agree with Wade that this should be handled at the state level, not the federal level. Local "brick and mortar" stores offer value added services that on line retailers cannot. Let the consumers decide where they want to shop. Perfect example of this is purchasing tires on line. You still have to get all of the mounting, balancing, etc done at a local shop.
Tires to tech stuff is NOT a good comparison. You know that as well as I do, don't play with me.

In order for the sales tax to be effective all sales in the state need to be taxed. Brick and mortar stores like Best Buy are going broke for one of many reasons they must charge sales tax and their online competition doesn't.

While I agree in freedom of choice for consumers they must pay sales taxes for what they buy.
Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

#6 Apr 23, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
<quoted text>
Tires to tech stuff is NOT a good comparison. You know that as well as I do, don't play with me.
In order for the sales tax to be effective all sales in the state need to be taxed. Brick and mortar stores like Best Buy are going broke for one of many reasons they must charge sales tax and their online competition doesn't.
While I agree in freedom of choice for consumers they must pay sales taxes for what they buy.
This is not about "tax fairness".

This is about Mo Money fo da Gubernment!

Instead of making buyers on the Internet PAY MORE in Taxes, how about having the Brick and Mortar Outlets PAY LESS?

Rogers, MN

#7 Apr 23, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazon sells a lot more than tech stuff and brick and mortar stores just add the sales tax on to the price of the purchase. They don't actually pay the tax. They are forced to act as tax collectors for the state. Which in the case of Minnesota, is a ridiculous burden. As always, there is no revenue problem here, there is a spending problem.
Bushwhacker

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Apr 23, 2013
Consistant and canmakeitup I agree.

Consumers understand they pay the sales tax and they know they save 6.5% when buying online.

Prices are lower with online sellers because they have less overhead, many ship right out of the factory.

If sales tax isn't charged for online purchases then they shouldn't be charged for local purchases. Paying tax is part of buying something.

Why punish local brick and mortar retailers?

BTW Minnesota taxes ARE way to high and should be adjusted so Governor goofy can have his BILLIONS invested in Minnesota instead of South Dakota.
Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

#9 Apr 23, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
Consistant and canmakeitup I agree.
Consumers understand they pay the sales tax and they know they save 6.5% when buying online.
Prices are lower with online sellers because they have less overhead, many ship right out of the factory.
If sales tax isn't charged for online purchases then they shouldn't be charged for local purchases. Paying tax is part of buying something.
Why punish local brick and mortar retailers?
BTW Minnesota taxes ARE way to high and should be adjusted so Governor goofy can have his BILLIONS invested in Minnesota instead of South Dakota.
Of course the answer to all this is a Flat Sales Tax to replace EVERY other Tax.

Taxing "spending" is the least Oppressive form of taxation (least "Regressive" for you Demokrats out there).

Of course this would destroy the "Collections Industries" and put about 3/4 th of Amerika's Leech Class,(Lawyers), out of work. So it will not happen.

Also, Taxation as a "Social Engineering Tool" as Demokrats are so happy to do with "Targeted Tax Cuts" would also be lost as a way to control Free Peoples. So this too will prevent a Flat Sales Tax.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#10 Apr 23, 2013
I love the state "level" morons, who believe some stares won't take advantage... Blathering idiots, right cantgetitup ?
Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

#11 Apr 23, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
I love the state "level" morons, who believe some stares won't take advantage... Blathering idiots, right cantgetitup ?
Bully,

We must be careful about "stares" that won't take advantage because they cantgetiup, but will take advantage of you like Uncle Daddy, your Mommy's Brother did....Damn! those "stares"!

Please note:

YOU are no "Blathering Idiot"...Hhahehohhihihheh eahhaohho!
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#12 Apr 23, 2013
Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

#13 Apr 23, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
Psychotic,

Interpreter up!

Can we get an Interpreter?

Slewsie, do you plan on spending all day destroying Threads?

We understand that you cannot deal with the awful truth, and that the Medication just takes the edge off. But why can't you go play Monopoly with the other Patients, and let the grown ups address the issues of the day?

I know Red Reamer will play with you.....he likes obese womyn.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#14 Apr 23, 2013
Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

#15 Apr 23, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
Bully,

Read and change. Your miserable existence is not the fault of Posters on Topix!

Sociopaths

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 2 hr Earthling-1 33,108
Hillary clinton "businesses dont create jobs" 9 hr Sangelia 31
Franken Campaign Goes After McFadden for Sellin... 12 hr goose 1
African Aid Workers Are Not Heros 15 hr cantmakeitup 3
How the Dem intend to win this November 16 hr LIbEralS 5
The Liberal Ebola Nurse 16 hr cantmakeitup 4
Viral video documents woman's experience with s... 17 hr Liberal 3
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match

Minneapolis People Search