Obama wants to pump $475 million into...

Obama wants to pump $475 million into Great Lakes cleanup

There are 22 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 15, 2009, titled Obama wants to pump $475 million into Great Lakes cleanup. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A budget proposal from the Obama administration would spend $475 million on beach cleanups, wetlands restoration and removal of toxic sediments from river bottoms around the Great Lakes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“SAY WHAT ???????????????”

Since: Mar 09

BULLRUSH

#1 May 15, 2009
why not,spent what so far,spend onward my son
Incredible

Saint Paul, MN

#2 May 15, 2009
Half a billion here, 2 billion there...who cares, right? At least we will (possibly) have clean beaches to go to when we are all unemployed because the US economy is destroyed.
Never enough

Eden Prairie, MN

#3 May 15, 2009
Obama obviously does not understand the concept of a limited budget.

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#5 May 15, 2009
What a waste wrote:
I don't think "Obama wants to pump $475 million into Great Lakes cleanup." I think Obama NEEDS to clean up the Great Lakes. Too many years of deregulation have allowed countless businesses to use the lakes as a dumping ground. This is just another mess that fell in Obama's lap from the corrupt administration prior to his.
was unaware that people were only dumping from 2000-2008, which business is dumping toxic stuff there?
Chebama

Saint Paul, MN

#6 May 15, 2009
jw in the grove wrote:
<quoted text>was unaware that people were only dumping from 2000-2008, which business is dumping toxic stuff there?
Didn't you get the memo. Prior to evil buushco. The great lakes were pristine prior to teh evvil one's arrival. Don't tell anyone but Bush has a secret plant up in Silver Bay where he dumps baby seals and nukkulear waste right into Gitchugume!
Castle Walls

Grand Forks, ND

#7 May 15, 2009
Incredible wrote:
Half a billion here, 2 billion there...who cares, right? At least we will (possibly) have clean beaches to go to when we are all unemployed because the US economy is destroyed.

Environment! Who cares about the environment? I hate the environment. What does it do for me? I never see it, it never see's me. Food, air, and water come from concrete, so who cares.
Free-done

Bergen, NY

#8 May 15, 2009
People oppose it because it will actually bring to light the utter destruction that is being cause by reckless behavior. Of course if he were spending this money to build a couple of new tanks of a battle ship all those who oppose great lakes clean-up would be applauding him.
Pragmatist

Clear Lake, MN

#9 May 15, 2009
What a waste wrote:
I don't think "Obama wants to pump $475 million into Great Lakes cleanup." I think Obama NEEDS to clean up the Great Lakes. Too many years of deregulation have allowed countless businesses to use the lakes as a dumping ground. This is just another mess that fell in Obama's lap from the corrupt administration prior to his.
Like the Cuyahoga river catching on fire after the policies of Kennedy and Johnson? Most of the pollution around the lakes is due to past practices not present. I know its convenient to blame everything on Bush, but if you can prove the lakes are dirtier due to practices encouraged during his administration, I wait for your non-Sierra club link.
Arrogant American

Lakeville, MN

#10 May 15, 2009
OBAMA ADMITS HIS OWN SPENDING IS UNSUSTAINABLE

May 14 (Bloomberg)-- President Barack Obama, calling current deficit spending “unsustainable,” warned of skyrocketing interest rates for consumers if the U.S. continues to finance government by borrowing from other countries.

“We can’t keep on just borrowing from China,” Obama said at a town-hall meeting in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, outside Albuquerque.“We have to pay interest on that debt, and that means we are mortgaging our children’s future with more and more debt.”

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news...
Taxpayer

Minneapolis, MN

#11 May 15, 2009
Where is the money comming from?

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 15, 2009
Taxpayer wrote:
Where is the money comming from?
your grandchildren dont worry about that.
Porkulus

Monroe, LA

#13 May 15, 2009
I think he's pumped us enough

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#14 May 15, 2009
Porkulus wrote:
I think he's pumped us enough
and i didnt even get a dinner at least.
Robert

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 15, 2009
The GOP hates it when Democrats use their own tricks against them. Never mind that the deficit has skyrocketed under one Republican administration after another. You "conservatives" weren't talking about your grandchildren then, just greedily shoving those extra nickles and dimes you saved in taxes into your pockets. Now that a Democratic President has continued a spending spree (that was begun by Bush, Paulson, & Bernanke, I should add), now you wingnuts show some concern about borrow and spending? You're only fooling yourselves.
Taxpayer

Minneapolis, MN

#16 May 15, 2009
Robert you Fool -
The commie has spend more than the 43 Presidents that came before him in total and it took him less than 100 days.
Too bad the f'n beggers that always have there hand out for the govt to fill would pony up once, they would have a different outlook.

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#17 May 15, 2009
Robert wrote:
The GOP hates it when Democrats use their own tricks against them. Never mind that the deficit has skyrocketed under one Republican administration after another. You "conservatives" weren't talking about your grandchildren then, just greedily shoving those extra nickles and dimes you saved in taxes into your pockets. Now that a Democratic President has continued a spending spree (that was begun by Bush, Paulson, & Bernanke, I should add), now you wingnuts show some concern about borrow and spending? You're only fooling yourselves.
most conservatives did not like bushs spending , also when obama does it 4 fold makes most of us 4 times as concerned, you on the other hand hated it when bush did it but love it when obama does it in 100 days more than all republican president combined before him.

“I'm not crying... Winning!”

Since: Oct 08

Twin Cities, USA

#18 May 15, 2009
jw in the grove wrote:
<quoted text>most conservatives did not like bushs spending , also when obama does it 4 fold makes most of us 4 times as concerned, you on the other hand hated it when bush did it but love it when obama does it in 100 days more than all republican president combined before him.
The reason President Obama has to spend so much is to cover for the wars our last administration started and failed to mention how we were paying for it. President Obama actually put war spending into the budget, and that is how come it goes so high. You guys can point fingers at President Obama all day and say he has spent more in 100 days blah, blah, blah. But the reason is to save America from the terrible policies we have had for the last however many years.
Arrogant American

Lakeville, MN

#19 May 15, 2009
Dick In Dixie wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason President Obama has to spend so much is to cover for the wars our last administration started and failed to mention how we were paying for it. President Obama actually put war spending into the budget, and that is how come it goes so high. You guys can point fingers at President Obama all day and say he has spent more in 100 days blah, blah, blah. But the reason is to save America from the terrible policies we have had for the last however many years.
Wrong. The total cost of the war in Iraq has been less than 670 billion--that's in over six years. You might be able to fool your liberal friends with misinformation like you're pushing, but you have no facts to back it up.

Obama's deficit for this year is four times greater than Bush's largest deficit. Did the war suddenly become more expensive, or what? Obama's total deficit is projected to be over ten trillion. There's no way that you can justify this kind of spending. George Bush didn't force Obama's massive expansion of government. That was Obama's decision.

Even Obama has admitted that his spending is unsustainable. This is what conservatives have said from the beginning. Now that Obama has made this admission, are you in agreement with him? Will you hold Obama accountable for irresponsible spending?

OBAMA: US DEBT LOAD "UNSUSTAINABLE"

May 14 (Bloomberg)-- President Barack Obama, calling current deficit spending “unsustainable,” warned of skyrocketing interest rates for consumers if the U.S. continues to finance government by borrowing from other countries.

“We can’t keep on just borrowing from China,” Obama said at a town-hall meeting in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, outside Albuquerque.“We have to pay interest on that debt, and that means we are mortgaging our children’s future with more and more debt.”

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news...
Arrogant American

Lakeville, MN

#20 May 15, 2009
Robert wrote:
The GOP hates it when Democrats use their own tricks against them. Never mind that the deficit has skyrocketed under one Republican administration after another. You "conservatives" weren't talking about your grandchildren then, just greedily shoving those extra nickles and dimes you saved in taxes into your pockets. Now that a Democratic President has continued a spending spree (that was begun by Bush, Paulson, & Bernanke, I should add), now you wingnuts show some concern about borrow and spending? You're only fooling yourselves.
Bush is not even in Obama's league on spending. Our country has never seen such a massive expansion of government. Obama knows that we don't have this kind of money, but he spends it anyway. Obama is the most irresponsible president in history. His debt will cripple us for many generations. There is no justification for what he has done to this country. A ten trillion dollar debt is nearly incomprehensible.

“I'm not crying... Winning!”

Since: Oct 08

Twin Cities, USA

#21 May 15, 2009
Arrogant American wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush is not even in Obama's league on spending. Our country has never seen such a massive expansion of government. Obama knows that we don't have this kind of money, but he spends it anyway. Obama is the most irresponsible president in history. His debt will cripple us for many generations. There is no justification for what he has done to this country. A ten trillion dollar debt is nearly incomprehensible.
Blah, blah, blah.

How come this wasn't an issue when George Bush went spend crazy over the last eight years? The second a Democrat gets in the White House and all of a sudden the spending is out of control!

Let me guess, you were out there tea bagging on the 15th of April, weren't you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
harrassed on purpose my whole life 2 hr space ace 3
News Pride Weekend Kick-Off Parties 2 hr cowboy chris 3
News Fourth of July Fireworks in Minnesota 3 hr Phineas 11
Typical Minnesota Voter 3 hr Tellitlikeitis 3
britain leaves EU, new world order stunned 4 hr cowboy chris 9
Obama's America 8 hr OK Barry 75
Radical Islam Thu LIbEralS 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages