Car strikes, kills pedestrian on Highway 36 in Washington County

Full story: TwinCities.com

A pedestrian crossing Minnesota 36 between Lake Elmo and Grant was struck and killed by a car just before 9 p.m. Thursday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 114 Comments Last updated Apr 7, 2011
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
FrankL

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

WWI (Walking While Intoxicated)?
smallville

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Just build a walk bridge somewhere not needed. Allow politicians to decide where they go instead of experts..
Cindy Stainker

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Condolences to the Berschen family and sorry for the young woman who hit him.

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Since: Aug 09

Twin Cities

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

I M sure They C this wrote:
NIT WIT..
do you think the family jumps on Topix to get condolences..Dumb ****.
Real classy criticizing someone for offering a family condolences on the death of a loved one.

Prayers to the family
NO Accidents

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

36 is turning into death trap for pedestrians.

SOOO Senator Wiger and Rep Lillie have a pedestrian bridge over 120 at 36, where there has NEVER been an injury accident.

Thanks Wiger and Lillie, your the best.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Cindy Stainker wrote:
Condolences to the Berschen family and sorry for the young woman who hit him.
My sentiments exactly, Cindy. The young woman will have this burden on her for a very long time. A good friend of ours was in an almost identical situation years ago when he was about her age. He was not at fault but it weighs on his heart still that someone died in an accident in which he was a part. He took the death very hard, as I'm sure this gal is. Sympathy to all involved.

Zen
really

Waconia, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

You are so nice. A man lost his life, a 22 year old girl has to live with this for the rest of her life. All you can do is be negative?
I M sure They C this wrote:
NIT WIT..
do you think the family jumps on Topix to get condolences..Dumb ****.
Invisible Man

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Never understand how a man can NOT be seen on a highway. Or was someone texting?
duh idiot

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Invisible Man wrote:
Never understand how a man can NOT be seen on a highway. Or was someone texting?
Have you ever driven this stretch of highway 36? There are no overhead lights - people have only their headlights to go by at night. Stoplights are far and few between, and there are no stoplights at this particular intersection.

This guy shouldn't have been walking in the dark on an interstate - type highway, but he definitely didn't deserve to die. It's a very sad and unfortunate accident, but if you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, maybe keep your opinion to yourself.
Neighbor

Stillwater, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Sen. Lillie wasn't in office when that ped-bridge was built at Hwy. 36 and Century.
Invisible Man

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Neighbor wrote:
Sen. Lillie wasn't in office when that ped-bridge was built at Hwy. 36 and Century.
The Lillie I was referring to is State Rep. Leon Lillie of North Saint Paul. He is a relative of State Senator Ted Lillie but they at opposite ends of the political spectrum. Leon is 100% bleeding heart liberal and Ted is conservative.

Maybe some of Ted's intelligence will rub off on Leon but I'm NOT holding MY breath.
Invisible Man

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

duh idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever driven this stretch of highway 36? There are no overhead lights - people have only their headlights to go by at night. Stoplights are far and few between, and there are no stoplights at this particular intersection.
This guy shouldn't have been walking in the dark on an interstate - type highway, but he definitely didn't deserve to die. It's a very sad and unfortunate accident, but if you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, maybe keep your opinion to yourself.
Highway 36 is not an interstate highway. An interstate has limited access with no pedestrians crossing them. And they have fences.

I'm familer with 36 and understand there may be pedestrians crossing it especially at intersections. It is NOT a lighted freeway but a state highway.

Hint Hint: When driving on a dark highway where pedestrians frequent KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD and USE THE HIGH BEAMS of your headlights!

Also KEEP YOUR HEADLIGHTS CLEAN so they light up the road.

I submit to a person of average intellegence IF this driver was watching where she was driving she could have missed this gentelman. Lock her up!
Just me

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Johnny was a good man from what I remember growing up in Lake Elmo. The ride you gave me a few years ago in the old steam engine vehicle will never be forgotten. RIP Johnny
bidness

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

really wrote:
You are so nice. A man lost his life, a 22 year old girl has to live with this for the rest of her life. All you can do is be negative?
<quoted text>
Actually, all you dopey posters who come on this site just to express your emotion are really clogging up the comment postings!

The original guy was right. Don't come on here just to "make condolences" or to say how sad it is. What is wrong with you?

pointless behavior makes you feeeeeel better?
Quizz

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

How many of you know how and when to use your high beams?
FrankL

River Falls, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Invisible Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Highway 36 is not an interstate highway. An interstate has limited access with no pedestrians crossing them. And they have fences.
I'm familer with 36 and understand there may be pedestrians crossing it especially at intersections. It is NOT a lighted freeway but a state highway.
Hint Hint: When driving on a dark highway where pedestrians frequent KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD and USE THE HIGH BEAMS of your headlights!
Also KEEP YOUR HEADLIGHTS CLEAN so they light up the road.
I submit to a person of average intellegence IF this driver was watching where she was driving she could have missed this gentelman. Lock her up!
The highway is 65MPH, there is usually enough traffic to prevent you from ever using your high beams. This is also a limited access highway, local traffic uses the north fronatge road, and there would be no reason for someone to be walking on it.
The American Lesion

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Gotta love all the excuses people make for drivers plowing into things. Newsflash: the LAW and also COMMON SENSE dictate that the driver (yes, that would be the one supposedly controlling the vehicle) is supposed to maintain situational awareness AND not brainlessly plow into everything in the vehicle's path. Here's another clue for the clueless: if there's, say, a moose in the road and you are not able to stop in time to avoid hitting it because you are overdriving your headlights, it's not the moose's fault you were speeding and yes, the speed limit sign doesn't mean you get to go that or 5 or 10 over at all times. I swear to god people put their heads up their butts when they get behind the wheel.
chuck

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

The American Lesion wrote:
Gotta love all the excuses people make for drivers plowing into things. Newsflash: the LAW and also COMMON SENSE dictate that the driver (yes, that would be the one supposedly controlling the vehicle) is supposed to maintain situational awareness AND not brainlessly plow into everything in the vehicle's path. Here's another clue for the clueless: if there's, say, a moose in the road and you are not able to stop in time to avoid hitting it because you are overdriving your headlights, it's not the moose's fault you were speeding and yes, the speed limit sign doesn't mean you get to go that or 5 or 10 over at all times. I swear to god people put their heads up their butts when they get behind the wheel.
Your'e a rural idiot who doesn't know anything. Please go back to your cave. All of us feel sorry for all parties involved, but ESPECIALLY for the driver. It's not her fault some old geezer who was drunk or just old and didn't have a clue what he was doing stepped right out in front of her, on a major freeway, at night! Old people do dumb things as they get more senile, slow and stubborn.
Invisible Man

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

FrankL wrote:
<quoted text>
The highway is 65MPH, there is usually enough traffic to prevent you from ever using your high beams. This is also a limited access highway, local traffic uses the north fronatge road, and there would be no reason for someone to be walking on it.
Well he11 then run his arse over!
Invisible Man

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Judged:

Invisible Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Well he11 then run his arse over!
Oh heck didn't need to say that because that is what the driver did.

Stupid me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••