Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

I am wondering opinions on this.

Delacy Auto in South St Paul sent out letters with keys in it that could open a vehicle to win it. First thing I noticed is that the keyless modular was made in China. My thoughts were that they use this as a gimmic to get people into their small dealership and no winning key is ever mailed. Is there a way to confirm this? They ran a "liquidation bank sale." They said they were selling so many cars that semi-trucks were coming in daily with new cars to replenish the ones that sold.

I decided to go there and try my luck. Before I went I opened my "key" and noticed there were no electronics on the inside, so I knew I didn't win that. When I looked at the cars, none of them had price tags on and they were the same cars that have been on their website for weeks. I was told they sold over 40 cars in the last 2 days, none of which I believed.

So I found a car I liked, I drove it and it was great. The saleman was great, then I was handed off to a "banker" that supposedly worked for the "liquidating" bank. He quoted the car at $3300 above MSRP. Then he said since I brought the flyer in, he would take $2000 off. So it was still above the MSRP (which I found out after I went home and looked it up). He said, "I would never find the same car for that price." I told him that I have seen the same car sell for $8,000 less than what he quoted me. He said, "if you can find one for that price, he would buy it for me and a couple more to sell." He also said, "if I would commit to buy the car and start the paperwork, he could "call" the bank and see what the "best" deal I could have on the car would be." I told him I would pass since he couldn't give me a good price up-front.

After taking criticism for not wanting to buy the car for what he offered it to me. The "banker" became even more pushy. Things just went downhill from there. I looked at another car and when I told the "banker" that it wasn't right for what would suit my family, he just kept on pushing.

I emailed the dealership after I left and did some research at home. I found about 25+ cars that were better priced that the banker promised me I would never find. I actually found several cars that had 25,000 less miles and were priced $8,000 less than what the banker quoted as the absolute "best" price I would find. I also mentioned that the banker quoted "that he would buy me a car if I found the same car at the price I told him it should be at." I found more than several cars that fit this criteria. They never responded to my email, so I called them.

I was told in the phone conversation that they did not have a response to the email. I asked them about the car and the person on the phone said they would have to "call" the bank to see what the absolute "lowest" price they would sell the car for would be (I thought I received the absolute "lowest" price already). The person called back and said they would now offer it for an additional $5,000 less than previously quoted. This price however was still $3,000 more than what other dealerships were offering the same car with less miles. I questioned their sales stategy and that semi-loads were coming in with new cars daily and also that there were "winning" keys that would open the door to a new truck.

I know I should have let this go, but the "banker" was just so pushy and it was hard to let go. The way he treated me as well as a couple other couples I saw in the store was absolutely demeaning.

I guess all I am wondering is if this is a common tactic? I have not seen this done in a long time. I am convinced no winner will be awarded the new truck and there was never a winning key sent out. Is there anyone who has ever questioned this in a different kind of scam?

Is there a way to have it investigated for legal purposes?

I will never go to this dealer ever again. I had a great experience with the saleman, but the "banker" was horrible.
Mistified

Lindstrom, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

TOUSLEY FORD SHOULD BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS !
They take your keys to evaluate your present auto, truck or what ever you drove there, Then Get lost or won't let you go, This happend at the lot in White Bear & the Truck lot on 61 Maplewood.
ONE YOUNG LADY, Crying Called the police !
I Told the salesman to walk outside & he Did, With Other Men with him, Police came. Took keys, Girl went home & I was told to leave or I would be arrested for trepassing !!!!!!!!!! TRUE !!!!
I Purchased a new ford truck at Stillwater Ford !!!
It Has to be illegal, It is Bulling & Rude & at times Fearful, There ought to be law enforcement.
Yes The Key is a Scam !!!!! None Ever work, I was told by several car salesman, But Some Dealers Are honest & do want to deal & Sell Products !
hockeydd

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2011

What jerks! Don't worry I just pranked them a couple times for you. Bastages deserved it
Mikey

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2012

This is a bait & switch operation. I received the flyer yesterday, and Delacy Auto was in the fine print. I fell for it Monday morning. I feel like a sucker. Don't go to it, it is located in the fairgrounds in Farmington. The flier said I won $25,000 on the scratch-off game. I read the fine print and it didn't mention any disclaimers. They wanted me to go to the "Farmington Fairgrounds Auto Liquidation event" to claim my $25,000. The first guy I talked to (looked like a 60-year old bum, poorly dressed with a pot belly) was trying to get this better dressed guy (he was standing south of the building where they were headquartered, south of the car lot) to help me, and he kept saying no. The second guy (a southerner on a cell phone) I talked to also tried to get that guy to help me, and he said "no" again. Then he said "you won something" and was digging through cardboard boxes of junk & didn't find what he was looking for. Then he directed me to the third guy, who came from the north section of the car lot, who was the same guy who originally didn't want to help me, who sat me down and filled out a small piece of paper with my name, phone number and address & car that I drive. He said he was from Duluth. He talked a little about the weather. He also asked me what my job was, the same things any salesman would ask me. He said "somebody in Redwood Falls won the $25,000." He also pointed to a board on the wall, something to do with the prizes, the number on my flyer had to match that. He took the flyer, I don't have it anymore. Once I told them I'm not getting any car to replace mine, he said someone will be here in a moment to get you your prize. He said stay here a moment, the guy you need to talk to will be here any moment. I said I have to get to work and left. They never called me. Hence, it is a scam. Everybody is a winner who gets the flier. I should have known, because I never entered my name in a prize drawing.

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2012

hockeydd wrote:
What jerks! Don't worry I just pranked them a couple times for you. Bastages deserved it
too bad you were not around when Coon Rapids Chevolet was in business.
one time my dad went there. while he was inside talking about something. some dude went and stuck a price sticker onto my dad's car.
dad came out to see some salesman trying to sell to a couple, my dad's car. thing is, the car was in the visitor area at the time.

Since: Aug 10

Here

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2012

Judged:

Apparently.. this is a topic for people that are easily fooled.
Isayas

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

I had a flayer from Delacy auto stating that i won a $25.000 visa loaded card and the numbers on the back of the card and the number on the flayer mutch.
When I go to claim my priz a horrable sales man approached me and asked about the car I drive and trying to push me to trade my card and I explained that "I just come to claim the prize that I already won" then the sales man grab a junk piece of paper and start asking me my name, Phone number, Address, My birth Date, My social security number then I declined to his question and explained that I am not buying the, then the sales man grab the flayer quickly and tear it apart and explain to me that there is no priceunless you buy a car have a good day.
Please stay away from this junks and Scams and don't disclose any of your informaton and they are fake lier Jerk
Isayas

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Stay away from south Saint Paul delacy auto they are a complete SCAM!!!!!!!!!
Jack Boot

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

Trapped in a dealership and want to get out.
Get loud and through in a few F bombs and see how quick they want you out....

It worked for me!
Amused Slew

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Car dealers are all scammers, remember Bill Clinton?

Bill was raised in a car dealership family, questions?
dennis7MN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

I went to fairground sale, last year at least the salespeople were professional, this year a michigan salesman greeted mu but when he didn't think i was worth his time because he "works on comission and paid for his own hotel" was a complete jerk and that is putting it nicely. I walked away and will not return, also i will tell everyone i know not to shop for cars there! I have never sold a car but i am betting $25,000 i could sell one sooner than the stupid jerk from Michigan.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2013

Judged:

Amused Slew wrote:
Car dealers are all scammers, remember Bill Clinton?
Bill was raised in a car dealership family, questions?
His biological father, William Jefferson Blythe II, worked as a traveling salesman.

Now Mittiot's daddy was a car dealer.... After their welfare.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Minneapolis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Minneapolis