Lunds and Byerly's pull plug on round...

Lunds and Byerly's pull plug on round-the-clock shopping

There are 14 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 7, 2008, titled Lunds and Byerly's pull plug on round-the-clock shopping. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

That 3 a.m. dash to Lunds for an upscale junk food run will soon be history. Lunds and Byerly's stores in the Twin Cities will no longer be open 24 hours, starting Feb.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

jyu

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Feb 7, 2008
Maybe with the new hours, the employee's at the Highland Park Lund's will get a better attitude.
S Patterson

San Francisco, CA

#2 Feb 7, 2008
This is a good thing -- I hope it starts a trend!
Hey jyu

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Feb 7, 2008
I have a good story about the Highland Park Lunds...I purchased a few items, maybe five or six, and nobody came over to bag them. The cashier starts bagging them and then a bagger came over just before she finished. The bagger was from somewhere in Africa. She told him that she didn't need help...She then turns to me and says, "Now do you see why I don't like foreign people?"

I kinda laughed, said yeah, and just wanted to get out of there....
Jim B

Sheboygan, WI

#4 Feb 7, 2008
Talk about OLD news. The Saint Cloud store has been on those hours for over a year
Bread and butter

United States

#5 Feb 7, 2008
Jim B wrote:
Talk about OLD news. The Saint Cloud store has been on those hours for over a year
That may be, but the one around the corner from me is open all the time right now...and i'm there all the time, so therefore, i needed to know this so called old news
Herman

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Feb 7, 2008
"It's really not an economic thing," he said. Baloney, something is going on with Lund's Holdings and it's not for the better for the customer. We shop at Lund's Highland 4+ times per week. In recent months Lund's has done things like changing from selling 4 and 8 packs of Brazed chicken to selling it at $7.99/pound in the Salad Bar area. In recent weeks prices have risen significantly, as an example Vienna bread and rolls from $2.49 to $2.99. Comparing receipts virtually everything has gone up, some by 10% to 15% or more. While we don't particularly like Cub, it is beginning to look good.
Denny

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Feb 7, 2008
Highland Lund's has also been closing the deli on quiet nights, probably to send employees home early. It's really irritating to try to go to the deli counter at 8:00 Pm or 8:30 PM and be told the counter is closed, while standing in from of the sign that says the deli is open to 10:00 PM.

Got to be cuttng costs.
Denny

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Feb 7, 2008
Hey, Pioneer Press, when did I move to Minneapolis? All these years I thought Pinehurst was in Saint Paul! Maybe Ramsey County will give me a refund on all the taxes I've paid to the wrong county!
BillB

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Feb 7, 2008
first of all my city is Saint Paul cuz I know that mpls is in Kansas and North Carolina. The place with a similar name north of Richfield is not where I live. But Byerlys and Lunds can both keep their stores and close all together if they like. Wehn I was a kid Samec's had everything we ever needed. Bring em back.
Brockage

AOL

#10 Feb 7, 2008
Sorry to hear about the shrinking hours especially for swing shifters, and I don't know Byerly's, but this summer I visited St Paul and a couple of times went to a Lunds close to a Ford assembly plant. Beautiful store, beautifully managed, great food, and really helpful people. Not everybody is as lucky as you gophers; in the West, we raise a lot of foodstuffs, but your prep is far superior ot ours. Open your stores in Colorado! Go Gophers!
hhh

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Feb 7, 2008
The Highland Lund's has to be the most unfriendly grocery store I have ever been in. The boys in the meat department should take a course in "How to win friends and influence people." Couple of weeks ago I'm in their for the 350 time in the last four years, see the same guy behind the counter ask him for the same meats, always trying to be friendly, but never once has he even acknowledged the fact. So I finally ask him if he likes his job, he tells me strait out, "I hate working here." Great customer service. Come to find out there all union workers. Figures. Cant wait for Trader Joe's to open.
big earl

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Feb 8, 2008
maybe theyr doing what target did in mpls- they got the fff...k out of there.
Mpls office worker

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 8, 2008
I work a couple blocks from the Lunds that was supposed to open a couple years ago on 12th and Hennepin in downtown Minneapolis. They closed the only little grocery on that end of town when they first announced that it was going to be built. No where to buy essentials nearby, unless you want to count Target - but they don't have fresh meat or vegetables. Finally, there's construction going on. The one across the river finally opened, also a couple of years late. No wonder they're having to reduce hours and raise prices - they cant even get new stores built and open on time.
lori

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Feb 8, 2008
According to the employees of the Burnsville Byerly's, the stores are changing hours because the Edina Lund's was robbed and the stores are concerned about employee safety. I didn't realize a store cannot be robbed between 6 am and midnight.

I'll miss being able to do my shopping when I get off of work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BLM lies on a 0-4 losing streak 50 min anarchist 26
Boots On the Ground Guy from Minneapolis diddle... 3 hr Joe Balls 7
official endorsement 20 hr anarchist 3
News Purple Faith: Prince's Life as a Jehovah's Witness Sun truth 992
Trump does it again May 28 anarchist 56
FOVR fascist past May 27 anarchist 1
FOVR assaults old women/children May 27 anarchist 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages