Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
The Truth

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Mar 18, 2013
Why should the rich pay at higher tax rates than they do now>

Because they are the only economic group that has seen measurably increased income in recent years.

I don't think that any other groups have seen any gains in their earnings and wages. I think the other groups have all seen losses.

The losses really hurt when you are in a lower income group. If you had an income of $50,000 per year, and it decreases to $35,000, that can determine whether or not you can pay your rent or afford health insurance.$50,000 is slightly above average, but $35,000 is below it. Assuming it is a loss in income that hits pretty much across that pay range, it is a loss of $15,000 that can't be taxed by the government. At that pay level, your money is taken out of your paycheck. You have normally no choice but to pay your taxes. So the government loses income. And actually,$50,000 is probably a pretty high starting figure for the incomes of people who have been losing the financial tug-of-war.

As we saw with Romney, people who make millions, lots more than the $50,000-30,000 level have all kinds of ways to hide their income and protect it from taxes. At most the earner of the lower wage or salary can maybe buy a house and deduct the interest or the taxes on that. The person earning millions hires an accountant and shields his money from taxes -- finds tax shelters.

That is the way that it works and that is why those who have gained need to pay at very high tax rates while those who earn relatively little should not.

The person earning $35,000 now who earned more later may have already lost a home and may be doing two jobs now rather than the one he or she did before. I have seen that in my family.

The odd thing is that the person who earns less, say a couple with three children, has in some respects more crises in life than those who earn more. The low earners' cars break down. The electricity gets turned off. Buying the kids' school clothes is a crisis that takes mom to the second-hand store. The other kids in school have the internet and computers. Your kids don't. It's a never-ending battle focused on money.

For the families that do better, the big challenge is not buying everything their children want, not accumulating too much.

Disparity in incomes is a far bigger social malady than high taxes on the rich.

It's the disparity that is dividing our country. We were far better off when I was a child and we were ALL a lot poorer.

So yes I would like to see higher taxes on the rich. They should pay a bigger share toward educating and providing health care for all of our children.

I was born during WWII. When I was growing up, I was taught that we are one country, that we are in it together. I remember how we were all so afraid of the atomic bomb. I remember how proud we were of our response to Sputnik. I still believe that we are one country and in it together. Apparently the rich, those who have gained the most from the technological and scientific progress that our tax dollars have made possible, don't.

There would be no internet, no four-lane highways, no cell phones, no news from Mars, fewer new pharmaceutical miracles, less information about healthy diets and what is happening to our environment, especially the oceans and the how we learn and you name it less information and less knowledge if we didn't tax the rich at rates as high as possible.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#2 Mar 18, 2013
The Truth = The Victim!! Whoa is me!! I am a victim and all those evil rich people, who are either smarter, more ambitious, or work harder, and they should just pay for my shortcomings. Amen!

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#3 Mar 18, 2013
Niether of the Above wrote:
The Truth = The Victim!! Whoa is me!! I am a victim and all those evil rich people, who are either smarter, more ambitious, or work harder, and they should just pay for my shortcomings. Amen!
The Truth = plagiarize from others without quoting a source. Friend of the slewpid?

http://sync.democraticunderground.com/1002252...
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#4 Mar 18, 2013
The truth is the rich have gotten richer AT THE EXPENSE OF THE MIDDLE CLASS......

Location hidden

#5 Mar 18, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
<quoted text>The truth is the rich have gotten richer AT THE EXPENSE OF THE MIDDLE CLASS......
Yep, because many, not all, work harder, are smarter and more ambitious than most of the middle class. Some inherited it, or marry it, like Kerry!
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#6 Mar 18, 2013
Because in this Country we PUNISH success
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#7 Mar 18, 2013
Because, in this country we tax folks who have the money and benefits from public services.....Convince me, the poor use the roads as harshly as any semi-truck... Let alone, the legal system.

Location hidden

#8 Mar 18, 2013
Never ride a bus or train, but I pay for them. Never visited a public health clinic, but I pay for them.
Haven't had a child in school in over 20 years, but I am still paying for them.

So, other than the schools, which I have no issue with, how am I benefitting from the others??
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#9 Mar 18, 2013
Never had a breast exam either, did you expect an personal accountant supplied by the government for every service, because that's clearly almost as stupid as your usual....
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#11 Mar 18, 2013
First time anyone complained about taxes ?? Sure, he JUST gave Obama a million...

If that's what you're hanging your hat on, be prepared to pick it up...

Location hidden

#12 Mar 19, 2013
Democrats love attacking the GOP for practicing “trickle-down economics,” but their latest congressional budget makes Republicans look like pikers. The spending priorities and “investments” Senate Democrats propose to help the middle class mostly involve handing money to big corporations.

“The Senate Budget takes the position that trickle-down economics has failed as an economic policy,” the document’s introduction reads,“and that true national prosperity comes from the middle out, not the top down.” By “trickle-down economics,” the Democrats are referring to tax cuts and deregulation — what a conservative might call “leaving people and businesses alone.”

But in the next paragraph, the Democratic budget celebrates “the policies President Barack Obama and Congress put in place in response to the Great Recession.” Those policies are Obama’s implementation of the Wall Street bailout, the government-funded rescue of Chrysler and General Motors, and a stimulus bill that threw money at the likes of General Electric and Bechtel, on the theory that the money would trickle down to American workers.

In their new budget, Senate Democrats don’t merely applaud this sort of trickle-down Obamanomics — they propose more of it.
Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#14 Mar 19, 2013
<quoted text>Yep, because many, not all, work harder, are smarter and more ambitious than most of the middle class. Some inherited it, or marry it, like Kerry!
Funny, Kerry was successful before the marriage and none of the RawMoney kids have been....
LIbEralS

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Mar 19, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
<quoted text>The truth is the rich have gotten richer AT THE EXPENSE OF THE MIDDLE CLASS......
And the poor have gotten poorer at the hands of the very people they elected.
Anti Obiden

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Mar 19, 2013
the liberal noise, they claim to be for the poor and the church. Why do they not follow the Bible?

gay marriage = is a SIN

abortion = is a SIN

Ture Christians follow the conservative, it is that simple. Liberals are NOT Christians.

they can not be.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Mar 19, 2013
LIbEralS wrote:
<quoted text>
And the poor have gotten poorer at the hands of the very people they elected.
You should grow-up and be honest,Bush got the poor pooer and the rich richer.
LIbEralS

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Mar 19, 2013
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text> You should grow-up and be honest,Bush got the poor pooer and the rich richer.
Just Bush? I don't think so.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Mar 19, 2013
LIbEralS wrote:
<quoted text>
Just Bush? I don't think so.
Ok Bush and company!

oh BTW: we have a progressive tax system in this country,and Bush tax cuts,are temporary and now it's time for it to expire,what a dumbas topic!
LIbEralS

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Mar 19, 2013
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text>Ok Bush and company!
oh BTW: we have a progressive tax system in this country,and Bush tax cuts,are temporary and now it's time for it to expire,what a dumbas topic!
If you define progressive tax system as half of the people paying nothing or close to nothing, while receiving piles of benifits, you are correct. There really isn't a reason to strive to better yourself. Just vote for the progressive candidate and sit back.
DSM Local

Ankeny, IA

#21 Mar 19, 2013
Anti Obiden wrote:
<quoted text>
the liberal noise, they claim to be for the poor and the church. Why do they not follow the Bible?
gay marriage = is a SIN
abortion = is a SIN
Ture Christians follow the conservative, it is that simple. Liberals are NOT Christians.
they can not be.
There is a reason that all religions that believe in a single god are at odds with Leftist ideals, except the EOC of course
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Mar 19, 2013
LIbEralS wrote:
<quoted text>
If you define progressive tax system as half of the people paying nothing or close to nothing, while receiving piles of benifits, you are correct. There really isn't a reason to strive to better yourself. Just vote for the progressive candidate and sit back.
You're such a phony!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ebola Spreads to Texas 7 min LIbEralS 30
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 26 min LIbEralS 32,813
al freakin tax cheater 7 hr Frank 4
Writer finds no mention of Christ in 126 histor... 14 hr Sangelia 8
St. Paul schools fall short on state proficienc... 15 hr LIbEralS 2
Mid Term elections 15 hr Zoey Jaja 9
Drop one word....add one word game 15 hr Doug77 133
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match

Minneapolis Jobs