Miss. Newspaper Owner Lets Homophobic...

Miss. Newspaper Owner Lets Homophobic Readers Have It

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Awful Truth

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Feb 25, 2013
I couldn't fit the full title:

Mississippi Newspaper Owner Lets Homophobic Readers Have It After They Cancel Subscriptions Over Coverage of ‘Historic’ Same-Sex Wedding

I took the bulk of the irate phone calls from people who called the paper to complain. Most of the complaints seem to revolve around the headline, "Historic Wedding," and the fact that we chose to put the story on the front page. My answer to the "Historic Wedding" headline is pretty simple. You don't have like something for it to be historic.

The holocaust, bombing of Pearl Harbor and the Black Sox scandal are all historic. I'm in no way comparing the downtown wedding of two females to any of those events (even though some of you made it quite clear that you think gay marriage is much worse).

Cegielski goes on to note that many of those who took issue with the article expressed concern for their children or the children of others.

To those people he had this to say:

We have stories about child molesters, murders and all kinds of vicious, barbaric acts of evil committed by heinous criminals on our front page and yet we never receive a call from anyone saying 'I don't need my children reading this.' Never. Ever. However, a story about two women exchanging marriage vows and we get swamped with people worried about their children.

http://gawker.com/5986014/mississippi-newspap...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New species of 'exploding ants' discovered in S... 50 min The Lumber Jack 1
G W will be dead in a month 1 hr The Lumber Jack 4
Mini-Me Passes Away 1 hr it is what it is 5
Charlize Theron debates leaving America for her... 1 hr Sickel and Ebert 7
Democratic Showers 1 hr The Lumber Jack 1
Homeless thread taken down 2 hr The Lumber Jack 2
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's shocking response t... 2 hr The Lumber Jack 3

Minneapolis Jobs

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages