Powers Live: Vikings' Childress says ...

Powers Live: Vikings' Childress says he wanted to protect Favre...

There are 159 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 21, 2009, titled Powers Live: Vikings' Childress says he wanted to protect Favre.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Who was right? Brad Childress for wanting to put Tarvaris Jackson in the game, or Brett Favre for insisting that he stay in? Are Brad Childress and Brett Favre at odds to the point where they are feuding? In an e-mail response this morning Childress, who was mum on the subject the night before, wrote of pulling Favre: "Yes, I did consider it and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Denny Green

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Dec 21, 2009
I'm packed and ready to return!
PurpleBlood0021

La Verne, CA

#2 Dec 21, 2009
wow...I'm an optimist and have been telling myself since the game was out of reach last night that every SuperBowl Champ goes through adversity at some point during the season...but I get the feeling that things are beginning to unravel

Of course, the pendulum could swing back towards all for one and one for all with a win next week against the Teddy Bears.

A loss will affirm we are in amidst of unravelling at the worst possible time.

SKOL VIKES
Jack The Pack

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Dec 21, 2009
The drama Queen has wrecked havoc on another team!

Brett Farve is a joke and all the Queens fans who loved him
will soon blame it on the whole team and team mates instead
of the drama Queen himself.

Too bad it is all AP's fault, Winfield's fault, Childress's fault,
defenses fault, offensive lineman's fault and on and on.....

BUT it is not Brett Farve's fault because he can't be wrong
and besides he is a kid at heart.........Right?

Oh yeah!!!! You go drama queen destroy the Vikings organization
from within for us!

Go Packers Go!!
The SHWAMY

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 21, 2009
Jack the Pack is right you know. I knew (and told everyone I know) that Chilly lost control of his team when he signed Favre and let him start after missing OTAs, after missing Camp, and after missing a preseason game. Now he's insubbordanant to boot. It is unbelievable to me that he played the whole game last night. Any other QB would've been pulled after the 2nd pick.
I know I'm mostly alone on this, but I'll take my chances with Jackson, thank you very much.
A 54548 Packer Backer

Houston, TX

#6 Dec 21, 2009
But never a Favre backer. After several seasons it was apparent that he did not accept coaching well. Look at all the interceptions!! Look at the lack of self control when in tight situations. Look at the inteception in OT against the Giants in 2007. He plays the game his way for his own glory, seldom for team success. Is he a great athlete? Yes. Is he a winner? No. Could he be a great QB? Most certainly but only if he puts the team's good before his own. This comment is not about sour grapes. His years with the Packers were frustrating for me as were the Homgren years. Good luck Coach Childress on getting him to be a team player.
Hardcore Vikings Fan

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Dec 21, 2009
I never liked childress from the beginning and thought that we should of pursue someone who was more credible. Anyways we're stuck with him for several more years. As for last nite, I knew that this was gonna happen. How, you ask, easy, Packers lost to Steelers and Vikings got crowned NFC North Champs. The players came into this game knowing they got the title already and playoff berth already. So in short, they became overconfident that they could beat the panthers. Didn't happen as they thought it would. Julius Pepper became a one-man wrecking crew. Even only when it was 3 men rush, he still got to Favre. Childress was pathetic in in-game adjustment. He obviously knew Pepper was harassing Favre all nite, but yet didn't use an TE to help block. He should know, that the key to winning games is protecting your QB and neutralizing their best pass rusher. ANd neither of the two I stated was found in last night game. Matt Moore was average at best, but had time to survey and throw, why? They neutralize Jared Allen. Our best pass rusher. How they do that? with the help of an TE. Would of thought Childress would of knew it by now, but guess he didn't. Overall, I love the Vikings, but last night game got me wondering if they are actually LEGIT!!!
Big D

Seattle, WA

#10 Dec 21, 2009
Tom, good article. Very much a tmz.com feel to it with unverified quotes, but some good insider info. I'm sure you're now banned from the locker room for the rest of the season. But thanks for the article! Chilly is a control freak, with no creativity on offense. Favre is a washed up vet who looked tired on Sunday night and he needs rest until the playoffs.
Purple FudgePacker

Littleton, CO

#11 Dec 21, 2009
OK everybody, point the pistol to your head and pull the trigger on the count of 3, ready? one...two...three
Jason

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Dec 21, 2009
Writers trying to stir up drama and people on here are obviously buying into it. That's society today, everyone is a follower like lambs to the slaughter. Do you know why locker rooms have doors? because it's none of our business what happens behind them. Favre isn't exactly playing lights out football but AP has been pitiful and the Offensive line hasn't een doing a dman thing either (pay attention Jack). Peterson puts up 30 yards rushing and they have to use Shiancoe to pick up defensive lineman every play, that has nothing to do with poor play from the O line now does it? It was a team loss and a lack of execution and effort from the team. Blame one guy all you want if it makes you warm and fuzzy inside. You only have to wait until next year when you will have Jackson back at QB, then you won't have anything to complain about.......(yeah right).
Move the Damn Team

Littleton, CO

#13 Dec 21, 2009
Send Brett and his late season losing ways to LA. LA would stand for Lose Again which is what usually happens each January for the Queens
Bah Humbug

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Dec 21, 2009
Yawn
Jack The Pack

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Dec 21, 2009
Jason wrote:
Writers trying to stir up drama and people on here are obviously buying into it. That's society today, everyone is a follower like lambs to the slaughter. Do you know why locker rooms have doors? because it's none of our business what happens behind them. Favre isn't exactly playing lights out football but AP has been pitiful and the Offensive line hasn't een doing a dman thing either (pay attention Jack). Peterson puts up 30 yards rushing and they have to use Shiancoe to pick up defensive lineman every play, that has nothing to do with poor play from the O line now does it? It was a team loss and a lack of execution and effort from the team. Blame one guy all you want if it makes you warm and fuzzy inside. You only have to wait until next year when you will have Jackson back at QB, then you won't have anything to complain about.......(yeah right).
Really?

I heard Brett was the one stirring the pot by exposing and
saying all the bad stuff about Childress and him having
a fight about resting his butt for the playoffs. Isn't that
suppose to be kept in house?

But, oh no he wants to start and break some record so now he
is pouting out to the media because he didn't get his way!

Just shut up and play like a man BF, whiny little b---ch!
Not a team player at all.........Chester Taylor.
Docintherock

Denver, CO

#16 Dec 21, 2009
Nice job Packer fans trolling on the Vikings site.

The Packers lost to the Steelers and they lost the division even though many pre-season publications had them winning the division. Go back to greenbaypressgazzette.com and cry about the Packers loss.

Vikings fan. Support the team and quit letting the Packer fans get to you. They are just sore we beat them twice this year.

Childress was probably pissed that Powers was following him around when he was in a towel. Sounds kind of creepy to me.
Gravedigger

Eau Claire, WI

#17 Dec 21, 2009
Let Brent do whatever he wants. That's what he's going to do anyway.
Jack Dupp

Sun City, FL

#18 Dec 21, 2009
The play-calling has been abymsmal for several weeks now. Telegraphing handoffs to AD, no deep balls down the field to Berrian, and very few passes thrown to Schiancoe.

The cover-2 defense scheme is outdated and the secondary, especially the safties Williams and Johnson, are horrible. If Allen doesn't get a push, this defense gives up major chunks of yardage!
Jonny D

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Dec 21, 2009
Does it really matter ? the Queens will have to go on the road IF they really think they are going to make it to the bowl AND if they think they can win on the road ? Hmmm, PIT, PHX , AND last night pathners Hmmmm, best of luck !!!
PACKER-REX
teresa

United States

#20 Dec 21, 2009
Childress will have to discuss this with
Favre...the game score was 7-6...Vikings up
by one...before Carolina started to move the
ball downfield and score Childress should
have dealt with the issues on the field ...
penalties, missed tackles, no protection for
QB, missed catches, dropped balls, fumbles,
the list is endless...what did they talk about
at half time...should have came out with winning
on their minds...it only got worse...not one guy
...anybody knows that Favre will play until he
is carted off the field...283 starts and playing
hurt a lot of seasons...think he would go out of
a game because he is getting hit?...that would
be like abandoning the ship...he stuck with his
team...couldn't change the outcome...whole team
coaches and the playcallers are to blame....bad
decisions, bad play, makes for a bad game......
it was horrible....didn't play like it mattered...
something is going on and it isn't just Favre....
team doesn't care about winning a SB evidently
because there is no way they will win playing
like the games in Arizona and Carolina...tougher
teams than both coming up...better shape up or
your ship will sink....don't give up on the captain.....
Jonny D

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Dec 21, 2009
Docintherock wrote:
Nice job Packer fans trolling on the Vikings site.
The Packers lost to the Steelers and they lost the division even though many pre-season publications had them winning the division. Go back to greenbaypressgazzette.com and cry about the Packers loss.
Vikings fan. Support the team and quit letting the Packer fans get to you. They are just sore we beat them twice this year.
Childress was probably **** that Powers was following him around when he was in a towel. Sounds kind of creepy to me.
STICK WITH YOUR CO, TEAM AND PACK FANS STAY ON THE BAND WAGON NO MATTER WHAT
The Hard Truth

Northome, MN

#22 Dec 21, 2009
Here's the hard truth:

1. There are a lot of goofball Favre haters who are going to say stupid things on these sites, and have done so with great relish about this incident. Intelligent people should ignore them.

2. Childress, like him or not (I am in the "not" category) is the coach, so he calls the shots.

3. A 7-6 lead is not sufficient to justify pulling your quarterback unless you feel that losing the game is not that big a deal, which is a case that could be made.

4. The failure to figure out how to block Peppers and to make the requisite adjustments is a more damning statement about Childress than his failure to bench Favre.

5. Favre, as a competitor, was well within his rights to demand to stay in. It was Childress' choice whether or not to listen to him.

Now, here are the speculative elements:

1. Is this really a rift between Bevel and Childress more than Favre and Childress?

2. Is this one more of Childress' obsessive attempts to get his personal project, Jackson, onto the field?

3. Is this sudden collapse of the offensive line a function of people figuring out Loadholt, the loss of Matt Birk, or something else?

4. Will this team now disintegrate, and, if so, into what factions?

5. Who will emerge as the team leaders now? Pat Williams? Jared Allen? Adrian Peterson? Someone has to claim the helm.

Here's my own thought: The Wilf's are as enamored with Childress as Childress is with TJack. I wish we could have a pro in that coach's position -- say, Bill Cowher? But we have Childress. And, if we don't like it, we can watch the Wild or the TWolves.

Have a nice winter.
Chev Chelios

Mound, MN

#23 Dec 21, 2009
Jack The Pack wrote:
The drama Queen has wrecked havoc on another team!
Brett Farve is a joke and all the Queens fans who loved him
will soon blame it on the whole team and team mates instead
of the drama Queen himself.
Too bad it is all AP's fault, Winfield's fault, Childress's fault,
defenses fault, offensive lineman's fault and on and on.....
BUT it is not Brett Farve's fault because he can't be wrong
and besides he is a kid at heart.........Right?
Oh yeah!!!! You go drama queen destroy the Vikings organization
from within for us!
Go Packers Go!!
You know it! Its Favres fault that the D forgets to tackle. Its Favres fault for coaching AP into mediocrity. Its Favres fault for being so brilliant running AP up the middle a hundred times a game. You Packer fans are so stupid it hurts. Only a stupid packer fan would go on a Vikings thread. Possibly, Favre sees Klink for the bone headed boob that he is and it frustrates him because he wants to win.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Senator Hopes Trump Assassinated 1 hr TAAM 26
Did Daley Crockett and his BLM visit Mayor's of... 15 hr Oak Tree 6
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 23 hr Galt 37,271
News Roseville Dairy Queen makes annual list of '10 ... (May '10) Sat Jim_M 34
Fox news sold out and is fake news now Sat Space ace 5
Get Out of Jackson, Wyoming! Aug 18 Tim Shey 1
All these big mouth white boys who never fought... Aug 18 Davycrockett 7

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance