Archbishop John Nienstedt withholds communion from gay-rights suppo...

There are 20 comments on the Oct 5, 2010, TwinCities.com story titled Archbishop John Nienstedt withholds communion from gay-rights suppo.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Archbishop John NienA stedt made sign of cross but refused to give host. The archbishop of the Archdiocese of St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

“Ahhhh hee ahw”

Since: Aug 09

Twin Cities

#28 Oct 6, 2010
Gretchen wrote:
...
The "archbishop" did completely disregard Christ's teaching of true Love, and he's the one who needs to be removed from office. as he was also extremely rude to the people who came up for Communion, and he knows it. He had absolutely NO right to deny them, at all.
He has every right to deny them communion, regardless of your ignorance and idiotic opinion. It was rude of these morons to make a political statement at Mass. How dare they!
haha

Minneapolis, MN

#29 Oct 6, 2010
GlorytoGod wrote:
It is part of the Catholic Church's teaching. The Archbishop did nothing wrong. As for the second gentleman that stepped out of bounds and gave these students communion later, I hope he gets reprimanded. God created Man for Woman and Woman for Man. He was not rude to these people, only withholding the Eucharist from a public sinner. And yes, everyone sins, but we confess our sins and are absolved of our sins before taking the precious Eucharist, so that we are free of sin when consuming the body of Christ, which makes us one with Christ. Acting on Homosexual feelings is a sin as is adultry, stealing, lying, etc. No one can consume the Eucharist until they are free from sin, no matter what the sin is!
God created man for woman and woman for man?
Really?
PROVE IT.
And don't tell me to read your book.
The book of lies is meaningless.
Christ's teaching of "true love".
HOW can you people belive this being capable of love???
Worship me or you'll burn for all time?
You call that love?
You say we have free will?
Where is free will when you know you'll be tortured?
Sounds like coercion to me.
Oh and as for Catholics going to confession before they receive communion?
GIVE ME A BREAK.
99% of Catholics receive communion without ever going to confession.
Trust me, I did it weekly when I was a kid and so did the rest of the flock.
Media Bias

Ashburn, VA

#30 Oct 6, 2010
Why did the moderator remove dozens of posts supporting the ArchBishop?
BabyRayRay

AOL

#31 Oct 6, 2010
lknox131 wrote:
this is extremily sad... people need to get over this homophobic behavior. its 2010 people. not the 1950's.
Try growing up and realizing people dont need to cater to your screwball opinions. These "protesters" showed up with the idea of causing a controversy. They are hateful and they expect the rest of us to bow to their desires.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#32 Oct 6, 2010
Any religion IS a "chosen lifestyle". One can not only change their religion whenever they wish to, but it is such a cherished RIGHT of Americans to do so, that Freedom Of Religion is SPECIFICALLY protected in our FIRST Amendment, BECAUSE it is so important.

I'm a church-going Protestant. Last year, I spent many months attending different churches, looking for one to join after relocating my residence of 25 years.

So WHY do gay and lesbian people WANT to belong to an institution that condemns them and shuns them ?! It makes NO SENSE !

There are plenty of Christian denominations, and individual Christian churches, that openly welcome gay and lesbian people.

So WHY do so many gay and lesbian people belong to a Roman Catholic Church ?!

This is like a Jewish person joining the KKK. It makes NO sense !

Any gay or lesbian people here who attend a Catholic church want to explain your logic on doing so ?
Dan

United States

#33 Oct 6, 2010
Gretchen wrote:
fr GlorytoGod:
>It is part of the Catholic Church's teaching. The Archbishop did nothing wrong. As for the second gentleman that stepped out of bounds and gave these students communion later, I hope he gets reprimanded. God created Man for Woman and Woman for Man. He was not rude to these people, only withholding the Eucharist from a public sinner. And yes, everyone sins, but we confess our sins and are absolved of our sins before taking the precious Eucharist, so that we are free of sin when consuming the body of Christ, which makes us one with Christ. Acting on Homosexual feelings is a sin as is adultry, stealing, lying, etc. No one can consume the Eucharist until they are free from sin, no matter what the sin is!<
The "archbishop" did completely disregard Christ's teaching of true Love, and he's the one who needs to be removed from office. as he was also extremely rude to the people who came up for Communion, and he knows it. He had absolutely NO right to deny them, at all.
They were there to protest the AB, and he was "rude".

OK. Thanks.

Since: Jan 10

Cleveland, OH

#34 Oct 6, 2010
Congrats to your Bishop. I wish all Christian Clergy. Good Job.....
Just A Man

Saint Paul, MN

#35 Oct 6, 2010
All men fall short of the glory of God...only the foolish refuse to repent and ask Him for His forgiveness. For me I will not be one of those who support the continuation of a sinful life but will continue to pray for all souls, including my own...Oh my Jesus saving us from the fires of hell; lead all souls to heaven; especially those most need of thy mercy.

Since: Jan 10

Minneapolis, MN

#37 Oct 6, 2010
The Catholic Church's stance on this is clear. The protests aren't going to change that. Why don't gays find a church that agrees with their position? Probably because they want to force everyone to their viewpoint by intimidation, as the left is fond of doing.
Deborah

Saint Paul, MN

#38 Oct 6, 2010
I have a question for the Archbishop---how many times did you know that a fellow priest was abusing children and not do anything about it?????how many times did you hear their confessions that they were abusing children and NEVER do anything about it??? Everyone that knew abuse was happening and did nothing needs to worry about that and not about the gay and lesbian issue.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#39 Oct 6, 2010
MinnesoTAX wrote:
The Catholic Church's stance on this is clear. The protests aren't going to change that. Why don't gays find a church that agrees with their position? Probably because they want to force everyone to their viewpoint by intimidation, as the left is fond of doing.
There are many Christian denominations and Christian churches that openly welcome gay and lesbian people.
Karen

Saint Paul, MN

#40 Oct 6, 2010
Frank,

Gay and lesbian generally do not JOIN the Catholic religion, they were BORN into it. It's rather similar to being born Jewish. It's more than Church/worship or "mass on Sunday". It's a culture/lifestyle. Many of us attended Catholic grade schools and high schools, are still friends with our hetero high school friends. In the 1970s, we were educated by the Sisters of St. Joseph, who were progressive educators and taught us the value of ourselves - regardless of who we were - and stressed the importance of serving others through Christ. In college, much like my non-gay friends, I partied, occasionally hooked up with a guy and tried to live the life I always imagined. It didn't work. After college, I was busy establishing myself in my career and just never met anyone I was interested in (or so I thought). Every once in a while the lesbian thing would enter my mind and I'd "pray it away". Finally with the help of an amazing spirtual director (Catholic), I accepted who I am and am finally at peace. No, I'm not promiscuous. I am not in a "relationship". Have I had a relationship or two over the past 20-some years? Yes. As for my being less Catholic than any of my friends of family, let me start by saying EVERY ONE of my siblings & friends either uses or used birth control at some point (or the male was permanently sterilized after baby #2 or 3). EVERY single one of my friends and family were sexually active with their spouse prior to marriage. More than 1/2 my friends & family do not attend mass weekly, go when they feel like it & receive communion w/o ever going to confession. What does the church say about glutony? I have MANY Catholic hetero friends who eat and drink to excess and are just plain fat. MOST friends and family say "oh my God" w/o recognizing it as taking God's name in vain. So, you see, everyone has their "deals" that they rationalize for whatever reason, under the guise that God understands them. My love for God and my Church (the rituals of the mass, the Eucharist, etc.) are why I stay. Thanks for asking.
Very Simple

Minneapolis, MN

#41 Oct 6, 2010
Rainbow sash weares find another church that accepts you and stop wasting time protesting. Why do people on this forum give a damn about this? WASTE OF TIME - NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE.

Start your own church - call it St. Rainbow's.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#42 Oct 6, 2010
"We have found a welcoming community here," Gleich said. "The last thing we want to do is create something divisive within our community."

Ah, so you say. But, yet, that is exactly what you did, thumbing your nose at the archbishop himself and all the church leadership he represents.

Eucharist is not an appropriate place for protest. The Catholic church is not a democracy. Your protests are simply not welcome, and you kids knew that.

Get over it or you are always free to leave the church. Plenty of other chuches welcome GLBT rainbow buttons at eucharist.
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#44 Oct 6, 2010
Many of today's posters have questioned the right of the arch-bishop (or any other clergy for that matter) to make judgements. Consider what Jesus told Peter:

Matthew 16:19 (New International Version)
"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
Such judgmental authority has been given by Christ himself.
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#45 Oct 6, 2010
Karen wrote:
Frank,
Gay and lesbian generally do not JOIN the Catholic religion, they were BORN into it. It's rather similar to being born Jewish. It's more than Church/worship or "mass on Sunday". It's a culture/lifestyle. Many of us attended Catholic grade schools and high schools, are still friends with our hetero high school friends. In the 1970s, we were educated by the Sisters of St. Joseph, who were progressive educators and taught us the value of ourselves - regardless of who we were - and stressed the importance of serving others through Christ. In college, much like my non-gay friends, I partied, occasionally hooked up with a guy and tried to live the life I always imagined. It didn't work. After college, I was busy establishing myself in my career and just never met anyone I was interested in (or so I thought). Every once in a while the lesbian thing would enter my mind and I'd "pray it away". Finally with the help of an amazing spirtual director (Catholic), I accepted who I am and am finally at peace. No, I'm not promiscuous. I am not in a "relationship". Have I had a relationship or two over the past 20-some years? Yes. As for my being less Catholic than any of my friends of family, let me start by saying EVERY ONE of my siblings & friends either uses or used birth control at some point (or the male was permanently sterilized after baby #2 or 3). EVERY single one of my friends and family were sexually active with their spouse prior to marriage. More than 1/2 my friends & family do not attend mass weekly, go when they feel like it & receive communion w/o ever going to confession. What does the church say about glutony? I have MANY Catholic hetero friends who eat and drink to excess and are just plain fat. MOST friends and family say "oh my God" w/o recognizing it as taking God's name in vain. So, you see, everyone has their "deals" that they rationalize for whatever reason, under the guise that God understands them. My love for God and my Church (the rituals of the mass, the Eucharist, etc.) are why I stay. Thanks for asking.
Bless you for your privacy, Karen. The subjects of this article have chosen a different path.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#46 Oct 6, 2010
Karen wrote:
Frank,
Gay and lesbian generally do not JOIN the Catholic religion, they were BORN into it. It's rather similar to being born Jewish. It's more than Church/worship or "mass on Sunday". It's a culture/lifestyle. Many of us attended Catholic grade schools and high schools, are still friends with our hetero high school friends. In the 1970s, we were educated by the Sisters of St. Joseph, who were progressive educators and taught us the value of ourselves - regardless of who we were - and stressed the importance of serving others through Christ. In college, much like my non-gay friends, I partied, occasionally hooked up with a guy and tried to live the life I always imagined. It didn't work. After college, I was busy establishing myself in my career and just never met anyone I was interested in (or so I thought). Every once in a while the lesbian thing would enter my mind and I'd "pray it away". Finally with the help of an amazing spirtual director (Catholic), I accepted who I am and am finally at peace. No, I'm not promiscuous. I am not in a "relationship". Have I had a relationship or two over the past 20-some years? Yes. As for my being less Catholic than any of my friends of family, let me start by saying EVERY ONE of my siblings & friends either uses or used birth control at some point (or the male was permanently sterilized after baby #2 or 3). EVERY single one of my friends and family were sexually active with their spouse prior to marriage. More than 1/2 my friends & family do not attend mass weekly, go when they feel like it & receive communion w/o ever going to confession. What does the church say about glutony? I have MANY Catholic hetero friends who eat and drink to excess and are just plain fat. MOST friends and family say "oh my God" w/o recognizing it as taking God's name in vain. So, you see, everyone has their "deals" that they rationalize for whatever reason, under the guise that God understands them. My love for God and my Church (the rituals of the mass, the Eucharist, etc.) are why I stay. Thanks for asking.
Any self-respecting gay or lesbian person would NOT want to be associated with an organization that not only condmens and denmonizes them, but actively WORKS to deny them their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

It maes NO sense !

It's like a Jewish peson joining the American Nazi Party because he's "omfortable with their economic policies, and just chooses to ignore their anti-Jewish policies".

You can obviously do it if you wish to, but it's illogical and irrational, bordering on insanity, PARTICULARLY when there are MANY other Christian denominations and Christian churches that openly welcome gay and lesbian people.

I left the Lutheran Church (ELCA) for 15 years because of their anti-gay policies. When they offically changed those policies last year, I officially rejoined the denomination (after attending 14 other churches in 4 denominations over a persiod of 6 months last year).

More than years ago, I offically joined (and am still an offical member of) the United Church Of Christ SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE they oepnley welcomed gay and lesbian people, and ordain gay and lesbian people.

The fact that some gay and lesbian people insist on belonging to a Roman Catholic Church is illogical.
Gndydncr

Minneapolis, MN

#47 Oct 6, 2010
Duped since birth wrote:
<quoted text>
Such BS. I'm sorry to say it, but you have been duped, and it's not your fault. You have been taught since infancy that you, me, all of us, are intrinsically evil beings, and lo and behold, there is one organization that can save you and promise you life everlasting in eternal bliss, and if you reject their offer, you get the opposite. What a bunch of hogwash.
We are not intrinsically evil beings.
Whoa, there. Take a look around. If you truly believe that, can I assume that you do not have any locks in your life? Do you leave your house unlocked? Do you leave your car unlocked? Do you walk down dark alleys alone at night?

Can I assume that you have unabashed trust for everyone, friend and foe alike?(Oops, sorry. I guess in your world, the word "foe" does not exist.) In your world, Enron didn't happen and guys like Petters and Hecker are simply mis-understood?

Your statement is extremely naive. Any fool can look around and see the need for security everywhere, police, military, etc. We simply are not safe from each other in any sense of the word.

My, my. I'm surprised you've survived this long.
Dan

United States

#48 Oct 6, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
Any self-respecting gay or lesbian person would NOT want to be associated with an organization that not only condmens and denmonizes them, but actively WORKS to deny them their CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.
It maes NO sense !
It's like a Jewish peson joining the American Nazi Party because he's "omfortable with their economic policies, and just chooses to ignore their anti-Jewish policies".
You can obviously do it if you wish to, but it's illogical and irrational, bordering on insanity, PARTICULARLY when there are MANY other Christian denominations and Christian churches that openly welcome gay and lesbian people.
I left the Lutheran Church (ELCA) for 15 years because of their anti-gay policies. When they offically changed those policies last year, I officially rejoined the denomination (after attending 14 other churches in 4 denominations over a persiod of 6 months last year).
More than years ago, I offically joined (and am still an offical member of) the United Church Of Christ SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE they oepnley welcomed gay and lesbian people, and ordain gay and lesbian people.
The fact that some gay and lesbian people insist on belonging to a Roman Catholic Church is illogical.
?

What constitutional right is the Catholic Church working to deny to gays and lesbians?
Former Catholic

Parkers Prairie, MN

#49 Oct 6, 2010
It is the Archbishop's duty to publicly uphold the Church's teachings, even when it's unpopular and many poeple may disagree. People can work within the system to effect change, but until that change happens, it is the leaders' responsibility to act according to current policy.

If this situation is looked at objectively - removing the Catholic element - his actions might make more sense. Leaders of any organization must publicly represent the rules and mission of that organization. And that's what the Archbishop was doing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Message For (MSP) St.Paul , Minnesota Police De... 1 hr Military_Veteran 6
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 2 hr Fair Game 34,194
Somali mother puzzles over son's arrest 3 hr OgadenPrincess 15
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) 4 hr Whiny1 217
Brown Family Lawsuit 8 hr LIbEralS 12
All Transgenders will go to hell !!! Fri space ace 22
"daylight disinfectant" and "laughing at liberals" Fri space ace 13
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]