Archbishop John Nienstedt withholds c...

Archbishop John Nienstedt withholds communion from gay-rights suppo...

There are 395 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 5, 2010, titled Archbishop John Nienstedt withholds communion from gay-rights suppo.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Archbishop John NienA stedt made sign of cross but refused to give host. The archbishop of the Archdiocese of St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
lknox131

United States

#1 Oct 5, 2010
this is extremily sad... people need to get over this homophobic behavior. its 2010 people. not the 1950's.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 08

Sandstone MN

#2 Oct 5, 2010
lknox131 wrote:
this is extremily sad... people need to get over this homophobic behavior. its 2010 people. not the 1950's.
People need to get over this idea that the rest of the world might have an opinion that differs from their own. People need to get over this idea that although you offend someone else, you expect the other person to treat you wither deference. Property rights trump civil rights.
GlorytoGod

Pine City, MN

#4 Oct 5, 2010
It is part of the Catholic Church's teaching. The Archbishop did nothing wrong. As for the second gentleman that stepped out of bounds and gave these students communion later, I hope he gets reprimanded. God created Man for Woman and Woman for Man. He was not rude to these people, only withholding the Eucharist from a public sinner. And yes, everyone sins, but we confess our sins and are absolved of our sins before taking the precious Eucharist, so that we are free of sin when consuming the body of Christ, which makes us one with Christ. Acting on Homosexual feelings is a sin as is adultry, stealing, lying, etc. No one can consume the Eucharist until they are free from sin, no matter what the sin is!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Honest

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Oct 6, 2010
Nienstedt is acting like a bigot.

He has no right to judge at all.

GLBT people should all leave his "church".

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Duped since birth

Birmingham, MI

#8 Oct 6, 2010
GlorytoGod wrote:
It is part of the Catholic Church's teaching. The Archbishop did nothing wrong. As for the second gentleman that stepped out of bounds and gave these students communion later, I hope he gets reprimanded. God created Man for Woman and Woman for Man. He was not rude to these people, only withholding the Eucharist from a public sinner. And yes, everyone sins, but we confess our sins and are absolved of our sins before taking the precious Eucharist, so that we are free of sin when consuming the body of Christ, which makes us one with Christ. Acting on Homosexual feelings is a sin as is adultry, stealing, lying, etc. No one can consume the Eucharist until they are free from sin, no matter what the sin is!
Such BS. I'm sorry to say it, but you have been duped, and it's not your fault. You have been taught since infancy that you, me, all of us, are intrinsically evil beings, and lo and behold, there is one organization that can save you and promise you life everlasting in eternal bliss, and if you reject their offer, you get the opposite. What a bunch of hogwash.

We are not intrinsically evil beings. This is the worst and most evil teaching of the church which has caused all of humankind untold hurt over the centuries. Use your brain, think about it, and decide for yourself whether there is any truth in their theology. There isn't a shred of evidence to support any of it

I don't see that this has done any harm to the kids who were protesting - gee, one less opportunity to be a cannibal. How come your deity didn't include some more fundamental rules in his big ten, such as "thou shalt not eat one another"???
ptoadstool

Cottage Grove, MN

#9 Oct 6, 2010
From a strategy standpoint, Nienstedt would have been better off simply giving communion to everyone without batting an eye. His action virtually assured that there would be plenty of publicity. Either way, in the years to come we will look back on incidents like this and wonder how we could have been so bigoted and stupid. Duped is right - we are not intrinsically evil, so go ahead & use your brain now; don't wait for your authority figures to preach to you!
anonymous

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Oct 6, 2010
The Archbishop is not well liked within the Catholic Community. Perhaps this is a shining example as to why. He and many of the new priests are a throw back from days gone by. No doubt, their manner in which they preach intolerance and judgement comes from Rome. Born and raised Catholic, I no longer prescribe to their philosophies. They do not reflect the teachings of the God I have come to know and love.

The Catholic Church is first and foremost a business. They are attempting to revert back to a time in history when they dominated and dicated to their parishioners, who and what behavior was worthy of God. It's 2010 and I for one, am much wiser. Organized religion, does not factor into Gods love for me.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Can't Touch Dis!”

Since: Sep 10

Stroudsburg, PA

#12 Oct 6, 2010
anonymous wrote:
The Archbishop is not well liked within the Catholic Community. Perhaps this is a shining example as to why. He and many of the new priests are a throw back from days gone by. No doubt, their manner in which they preach intolerance and judgement comes from Rome. Born and raised Catholic, I no longer prescribe to their philosophies. They do not reflect the teachings of the God I have come to know and love.
The Catholic Church is first and foremost a business. They are attempting to revert back to a time in history when they dominated and dicated to their parishioners, who and what behavior was worthy of God. It's 2010 and I for one, am much wiser. Organized religion, does not factor into Gods love for me.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.
not a church

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Oct 6, 2010
church is a place to learn forgiveness love accedence not how to blindly judge places that call them self a church and act like this need to have all tax exempt status taken away they can still do what they wont but it is a gang or a club not a church pay your taxes you bigoted worthless Archbishop ps i am a Catholic that is ashamed of the leaders of the church
Annie

Hopkins, MN

#14 Oct 6, 2010
There are many things the Catholic church could be looking at fixing, instead of creating more problems for themselves. What happened to he without sin casting the first stone? Who is the Archbishop to judge? The higher power has that responsibility.
haha

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Oct 6, 2010
I guess I canít help but shake my head at this.
The Catholic Church will probably never change their stance on this.
My question for my fellow gays isÖÖ.why?
Why do you keep forcing your way into cults that donít accept you?
Why waste so much time and energy trying to get them to accept you when they never will?
I dunno, I was raised Catholic and turned my back on them and their ďlovingĒ god a long time ago.
Embrace the Godís of old.
Embrace your own divinity.
These people donít want you and more importantly, they donít deserve you.

“Boot to the Head”

Since: Jul 08

Mogadore, OH

#18 Oct 6, 2010
Annie wrote:
There are many things the Catholic church could be looking at fixing, instead of creating more problems for themselves. What happened to he without sin casting the first stone? Who is the Archbishop to judge? The higher power has that responsibility.
In context: Jesus told the woman caught in adultery, "Go,(and) from now on do not sin any more."
The "higher power" of the New Testament told St Peter "tend my lambs"
New Guy on the Block

United States

#20 Oct 6, 2010
GlorytoGod wrote:
Unless the people wearing the rainbow buttons were fornicating in the church, it is a huge rush to judgement to assume they all were "acting on their homosexual feelings".
Dan

United States

#21 Oct 6, 2010
Honest wrote:
Nienstedt is acting like a bigot.
He has no right to judge at all.
GLBT people should all leave his "church".
The people in group were admittedly protesting the Archbishop:

"We wanted to make a statement to Archbishop Nienstedt, to stand in solidarity with GLBT (gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender) students on our own campus that we don't agree with what he's doing," Gleich said."

Well, Nienstedt responded to their protest, and now he's "judging".

LOL. Want some cheese with that whine?
Bob

Hastings, MN

#22 Oct 6, 2010
I don't like the whole gay agenda(keep it to yourself) but catholics and there hypocrisy are worse.
calvin

Minneapolis, MN

#23 Oct 6, 2010
"McGrath said it's church policy, from the Vatican downward, to deny Communion to people who make a public show of opposing church teaching or try to make political statements at Mass"

They should next show up wearing Tom Emmer buttons and they will likely get cheese on their biscuit and a nice Cabernet.
Gretchen

Truckee, CA

#24 Oct 6, 2010
fr GlorytoGod:

>It is part of the Catholic Church's teaching. The Archbishop did nothing wrong. As for the second gentleman that stepped out of bounds and gave these students communion later, I hope he gets reprimanded. God created Man for Woman and Woman for Man. He was not rude to these people, only withholding the Eucharist from a public sinner. And yes, everyone sins, but we confess our sins and are absolved of our sins before taking the precious Eucharist, so that we are free of sin when consuming the body of Christ, which makes us one with Christ. Acting on Homosexual feelings is a sin as is adultry, stealing, lying, etc. No one can consume the Eucharist until they are free from sin, no matter what the sin is!<

The "archbishop" did completely disregard Christ's teaching of true Love, and he's the one who needs to be removed from office. as he was also extremely rude to the people who came up for Communion, and he knows it. He had absolutely NO right to deny them, at all.
haha

Minneapolis, MN

#25 Oct 6, 2010
Bob wrote:
I don't like the whole gay agenda(keep it to yourself) but catholics and there hypocrisy are worse.
WOAHHHHH....back up the big rig Bob.
I've seen your posts regarding gay issues in the past.
I'm assuming you're a Christian?
May I ask what sect?
Yay

San Francisco, CA

#26 Oct 6, 2010
Finding the anti same-sex marraige in my mailbox was the last straw. How DARE he send this to my home in an attempt to make me agree with his ridiculous ramblings!! I should sue the church for harrassment. I am still to steamed to start drafting my retort.
Question

Saint Paul, MN

#27 Oct 6, 2010
Why is a story like this even in the paper?

What we as Catholics do in our own church is our business. If you're not a Catholic then mind your own business!! The Catholic church says homosexuality is wrong so the Archbishop as a leader in OUR church has every right & is obligated to deny giving Communion to someone who openly disagrees with OUR beliefs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cops getting Ambushed like in NY this month 5 hr Minneapolis KILLS 3
Bye bye Betsy...Bye bye Betsy 6 hr They cannot kill ... 7
Somali brutaliy beats Woman 7 hr Space ace 56
I love waking up to a Trump presidency 7 hr silly rabbit 19
Liberals are trying to destroy america 8 hr silly rabbit 23
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 10 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 37,117
News Mohamed Noor, Somali American cop who allegedly... 13 hr 16 TEEN SHOTS chi... 59

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages