Can't gun owners find non-crazy repre...

Can't gun owners find non-crazy representation?

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

Consistent

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jan 19, 2013
Rep. John Barrow (D-GA-12) is proud of his guns.
Well, good for him! I doubt very much whether he's bothering anyone with those dusty old pea-shooters. And if they've got sentimental value to him, well, what's it to me? Right?

Of course, when you're a member of Congress, those antiques can be your meal ticket, since you can take 'em out and wave 'em around once every couple of years, and—if you're willing to say the right magic words—convert 'em into NRA endorsements and cold, hard cash.

And the crowd loves it!

But let's face it. The NRA's real constituency is gun manufacturers. And the people who made Barrow's guns have been dead and buried for decades. It doesn't appear that anyone's sold Barrow a firearm since Jesus was in short pants. So he's not doing them any favors with the gun ownership.

No, where Barrow is useful is in holding the door open for them to push more weapons out. And that he has to do by voting to safeguard the manufacture of some very, very different weapons than the ones he's got in his commercial.

Now, I don't know if you've run into the same thing I have out there in the wide world of gun discussion, but maybe you're familiar with the kind of people who get all huffy and indignant when you inaccurately label things "guns" when they're really "firearms." (Why they sell them at "gun shops," I'm still not sure. But of course, it seems like nobody really wants to press a point with any of these folks, if you know what I mean.) And God help you if you try to talk policy after incorrectly identifying a "magazine" as a "clip!" You'll quickly find yourself deemed unqualified to participate in our grand "national conversation."

More at http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/19/1179...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BLM urge rioting over OSU SHOOTING 13 min Drumpf 36
Obama & BLM mourn monstor Fidel Castro 19 min Trump worst presi... 68
California Dems Block Gang Member Database Tue TAAM 1
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) Dec 4 texas pete 628
Get Over It! Dec 3 Evil Roy Slade 10
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) Dec 2 Squirtzzz3971 35,607
Child sex ring>Pizzagate>Clinton's>Obama's>FBI ... Dec 1 Georgia 1

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages