Blue Cross, Fairview at impasse over doctors' fees

Tough negotiating between Minnesota's largest health insurer and the state's third-largest health system has patients scrambling to find new doctors and worrying about disruptions to their medical care. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Do Not Budge Fairview

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jul 24, 2008
For years insurance companies have been controlling the practice of medicine. As a subcriber to BCBS, I would like to see Fairview get the reimbursement it needs to stay in business. You don't see the insurance companies hurting--it appears the insurance companies manipulate their numbers so it looks like the insurance company may not be doing so well. I do not want to change doctors or clinics, but I do want my doctors to dictate my course of medical action--not BCBS. Let Blue Cross have half of MN upset with them--let their phones ring off the hook--let BCBS get all the negative press it can get. BCBS needs to budge--NOT FAIRVIEW.
just me

United States

#2 Jul 24, 2008
Do Not Budge Fairview wrote:
For years insurance companies have been controlling the practice of medicine. As a subcriber to BCBS, I would like to see Fairview get the reimbursement it needs to stay in business. You don't see the insurance companies hurting--it appears the insurance companies manipulate their numbers so it looks like the insurance company may not be doing so well. I do not want to change doctors or clinics, but I do want my doctors to dictate my course of medical action--not BCBS. Let Blue Cross have half of MN upset with them--let their phones ring off the hook--let BCBS get all the negative press it can get. BCBS needs to budge--NOT FAIRVIEW.
I could not agree more with you !
Stick to your demands Fairview,I also want you to handle my Medical Care NOT an Insurence Company that that makes millions of dollars short changing the Patient and the Med Providers. I will NOT leave Fairview BUT I will find a different Insurence company. I Love Fairview !
Rochester

Boyd, MN

#3 Jul 24, 2008
Anyone else note the huge ad campaign by Fairview lately? I guess they're not hurting either. I don't think that Fsirview is blameless in the process.
just me

United States

#4 Jul 24, 2008
Rochester wrote:
Anyone else note the huge ad campaign by Fairview lately? I guess they're not hurting either. I don't think that Fsirview is blameless in the process.
Blameless?!? What are you talking about? Fairview has settled with all other Insurence Providers, it is BCBS that is refusing to pay a fair price to the Doctors and Care Facilities that are trying to save your lives. Of course ,if you side with BCBS, feel free to pay out of pocket for any uncovered expenses and let BCBS tell you what kind of care you can recieve for any given illness. God help us, if we allow a Mega Insurence company to dictate our medical future,we won't stand a chance.
Chris

Eden Prairie, MN

#5 Jul 24, 2008
Mr. Banks, CEO of BCBS MN, must be in the market for a multi-million dollar bonus.
I say, let all the plumbers, auto-mechanics, etc. that Mr. Banks relies on make him find new providers for those services.

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jul 24, 2008
As a former employee of Fairview, BCBS is notoriously a low payer. If the other health plans can pay a fair prices then BCBS should also. BCBS practice is to reject the claim as long as possible.

I say Fairview stick to your guns, don't give in.
ALEX

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jul 24, 2008
I find it interesting that not many people have responded on line to this topic of medical insurance. It seems to be the big topic for politicians, right? Not one politician (Franken, Coleman.. anybody) has stepped in and said an opinion one way or the other. Anybody else think that odd ?
Labrat

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jul 24, 2008
The letters that I got from both parties implied that it was a "done deal" and I should look for a different provider. If there is still hope, I feel that every effort should be made to work things out. Fairview recently "reassembled" me after a bad bicycle accident, and they did a great job, and provided great follow-up.
Yep

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Jul 24, 2008
www wrote:
As a former employee of Fairview, BCBS is notoriously a low payer. If the other health plans can pay a fair prices then BCBS should also. BCBS practice is to reject the claim as long as possible.
I say Fairview stick to your guns, don't give in.
I Could not agree more! I am a former employee of BCBS.and that IS their practice!
MN G

Willimantic, CT

#11 Jul 24, 2008
BCBS - poor service, poor customer care. They are brutal; very high rates and deductables compared to the balance of the marketplace; flip-flop on decisions as to what is covered and what is not; this story regarding negotiating rates is a farce as well - I know for a fact they negotiate rates "on the fly" for some of the most basic services - bording on unethical. Attorney General should take a look at this
Socialized Medicine

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jul 24, 2008
In Sweden, all health care and education all the way through a PHD, is free. Taxes are higher, but consider the advantages.
The USA is the only industrialized country without a National Health Care Program.
All three of the worlds largests religions: Christianity, Judisum, Islam, all agree that "userhood" is unappropriate. "Userhood" is when people in authority "use" the misfortunes of the general public to their "economic" advantage.
We need to vote in an entirely new US government/
Answer

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jul 24, 2008
ALEX wrote:
I find it interesting that not many people have responded on line to this topic of medical insurance. It seems to be the big topic for politicians, right? Not one politician (Franken, Coleman.. anybody) has stepped in and said an opinion one way or the other. Anybody else think that odd ?
The reason is because to make a serious comment about this topic requires intelligence. Just reading the majority of the popular topics, it's clear intellect is lacking amongst this paper's readership.

Point and click society.

“Winter”

Since: Mar 08

SLP

#14 Jul 24, 2008
Health Care, Health Care Insurers, and Pharmaceutical Compaines make the corrupt Oil Industry look like Saints!
yup

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jul 24, 2008
Health Care Insurance is for profit... this is wrong. The CEO's are stealing the money and nobody can ever convince me they are worth the millions they siphon off the top. Health care needs a total overhaul.

Doc's do need a check and balance, SOME of them are greedy and unethical and will do surgery without the necessary testing or therapy beforehand. Surgery gets them more money. Remember the hysterectomy's and c-section stories? people were getting these when they didn't need it because the doc's were getting rich off of them.

I have an Aunt who works at the company who does these checks and balances..... she explained how many surgery's she has saved people from having and how important it is to have checks on these people.

Not all doc's are like this, but some are..
Sharon - Eagan

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jul 24, 2008
I hate Blue Cross! Everytime you call BC you get a different answer! I also dislike Fairview-poor care. We need National Health coverage, so everyone is treated the same.
Tom F

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jul 24, 2008
OK... I've been watching this closely. "Go fairview"? That attitude is GREAT for the people who have insurance plans that just charge copays (at least until the premium hikes the following year), but what about the Coinsurance people? If Blue Cross allows more, then those on a coinsurance plan paying 10, 20 or even 30 or 40 percent are going to pay more out of pocket for the same care. Blue Cross is trying to keep the costs down for everyone. And BTW, Blue Cross is NONPROFIT.
Archie Anderson

AOL

#18 Jul 24, 2008
BCBS is a convicted felony operation that operates with the protection of the state legislature that has a hands off policy for this abusive non profit,, Overcharging co-pays then pocketing the money cost the outlaw non profit three million in fines.
In Minnesota crime pays as BCBSMN is awarded the workers comp contract for state employees. BCBSMN use the hammer of our state offices to collect one half billion dollars from tobacco companies on behalf of the subscribers that supposedly paid for the "cost of smokers' the subscribers recieved NOTHING. BCBSMN enjoys making "sharecroppers" out of our MD's.
If this state had a single lawman that was not politically terrorized by by BCBSMN and other non profits in the health care monopoly to put the "spotlight on their operation" Minnesotas health care system may have a chance to recover,
The last twenty years belong totally to the monopoly without opposition. Minnesotas 501-c status needs immedeiate attention from unfrightened and non obligated public servants that will put the people above the politics of a systematic monopoly.
John Gage

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jul 24, 2008
I guarantee you that they will come to an agreement. Neither entity can afford to lose the other.

Don't complain about high insurance rates and then complain that BCBS is the bad guy here.
Proud American

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jul 24, 2008
Socialized Medicine wrote:
In Sweden, all health care and education all the way through a PHD, is free. Taxes are higher, but consider the advantages.
The USA is the only industrialized country without a National Health Care Program.
All three of the worlds largests religions: Christianity, Judisum, Islam, all agree that "userhood" is unappropriate. "Userhood" is when people in authority "use" the misfortunes of the general public to their "economic" advantage.
We need to vote in an entirely new US government/
If Socialized Medicine is go great why do Royalty and Sheiks come to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester for their medical care? God help us if the Governement takes over our health care system!! I can't wait to see the law suits filed when those who want Socialized Medicine try to waltz into an emergency room for immediate care and are told "Take a number and we'll try to see you in eight months".
Balance

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Jul 24, 2008
Can we please have some balance here?!
Fairview is the highest paid health care system in the state, and they are asking for double digit increases in reimbursement.
If BCBS were to agree to what they're asking for, HealthEast, HealthPartners, and every other health plan will be lining up to demand the same.
Do you want your premiums to go up by double digits?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr Brian_G 32,812
Ebola Spreads to Texas 1 hr Crusader 29
al freakin tax cheater 3 hr Frank 4
Writer finds no mention of Christ in 126 histor... 11 hr Sangelia 8
St. Paul schools fall short on state proficienc... 11 hr LIbEralS 2
Mid Term elections 11 hr Zoey Jaja 9
Drop one word....add one word game 11 hr Doug77 133
Minneapolis Dating
Find my Match

Minneapolis Jobs