Dakota County / Teenager charged in fatal crash

There are 20 comments on the Jan 30, 2007, The Minneapolis-St. Paul Pioneer Press story titled Dakota County / Teenager charged in fatal crash. In it, The Minneapolis-St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that:

At 21, Rebecca Yacob was already a budding world traveler, and her bags were packed for yet another dream trip.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Minneapolis-St. Paul Pioneer Press.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Minders

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jan 31, 2007
I really hope he realizes what he did to that girl and when he gets out of prison he really speaks to other kids about the dangers of Drinking and Driving
Desiree

Rapid City, SD

#2 Feb 1, 2007
I knew Rebecca from school and it is so tragic to hear her short life ended this way. She was an exotic, devoted, vibrant, and motivated young woman....this is such a tragedy to hear her dreams won't be made now. My condolences to Yacob family
Fev

Hopkins, MN

#3 Feb 2, 2007
Rebecca was a beautiful vibrant young woman! Even though her life was cut short she lived life to the fullest. I attended the funeral, and her family shouldn't have to go through that ever. I hope he realizes what he took away, just from one stupid judgement he had control over. My condolences truly go to her family. I pray for them. She's with god now!
msmary

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Feb 4, 2007
i just happened to be looking on the internet for a obituary from the burnville area and come across, several stories like this,things like this should not happen, but do. i have a 20 year old son that has a long drinking histroy,and sereral dwis,under age drinking,and a 3nd degree sex charge, so this hits home, i read all these articles like this to him and i always tell him the kids same age as you,and if he keeps it up he could end up in prison before he turns 21.ive tried 4 years to get help or treatment and he keeps slipping through the sesytem.thank god hes not in that spot and lets hope he never will be.i feel so bad for the family,so sorry too hear about this..
jade

Mankato, MN

#5 Feb 6, 2007
I had a couple friends involved in the crash. They were the car behind Rebecca Yacob and were witness to the crash and the ambulance taking her away. Their lives, Rebecca's family and friends will never be the same now, because some loser decided to get drunk and drive his friends home.

He should be facing a lot more than 10 years... As soon as you get behind the wheel of that car after drinking, you hold in your hands your own mortality and the mortality of those around you. You know it's wrong, you know you could kill people and yourself, but you just don't care... Why is this not murder?

My heart goes out to Rebecca Yacob's friends and family; I know what it's like to lose someone you love to a drunk driver. It's a hurt that never fully goes away, only gets easier to bear in time. May god welcome Rebecca and keep her safe.
diana

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Feb 8, 2007
I have never quite felt anything like receiving a phone call telling me that my friend had passed away. What bothered me the most of all was that Rebecca was the most sweetest girl, very intelligent, and had so much going for herself that it was just too hard to believe that something tragic as that could have happened to her and really, to any one in that matter. This event was preventable and I know Logan deserves way more than 10 years in prison for what he caused to her family and friends but most importantly to Rebecca's life. One day, I would like to go to Rome in memory of her because she was possibly one day away from her dream of studying in Rome and finding herself an Italian man. i miss her so much...I still can't believe she is no longer with me. I love you Rebecca, you are my angel and your memories will always be with me. Rest in Peace my luv.
jakethesnake

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Feb 9, 2007
jade wrote:
He should be facing a lot more than 10 years... As soon as you get behind the wheel of that car after drinking, you hold in your hands your own mortality and the mortality of those around you. You know it's wrong, you know you could kill people and yourself, but you just don't care... Why is this not murder?
My heart goes out to Rebecca Yacob's friends and family; I know what it's like to lose someone you love to a drunk driver. It's a hurt that never fully goes away, only gets easier to bear in time. May god welcome Rebecca and keep her safe.
the driver is definatly very responsible for what had happened but also, the teens that were intoxicated passangers also should be held responsible. Some of those teens i have met before and i know how they are. In no way were they held responsible for this event AND in no way do they show any simpathy for the victim and her family. These are rotten kids that got nothing more than cuts and bruises. Minors mean nothing to these teens and apparently being involved in an alcohol related accident that caused a inocent women's life to end dont effect them either. Around their school i hear there biggest worrys are when thier scars and bruises will heal...
and those will heal long before losing a sister, daughter, or a friend will...

does anyone agree with me that the intoxicated teens riding with an intoxicated driver should be held as responsible as the driver?
my heart goes out to the Yacob family and all of Rebecca's friends,
from what i have read, she sounds like an amazing woman.
jakethesnake

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Feb 9, 2007
sorry, my first sentence above should read...
the driver should definatly be held very responsible for what had happened but also,...
Jahseed

Tallahassee, FL

#9 Feb 11, 2007
I pray for Rebecca's family in these times.....she was a real good friend to me.....she was truly love by all...
Robert

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Feb 17, 2007
I looked up the drunk driver's picture on the Dakota County jail inmate search on their web site. He has a smirk on his face! I don't think he truly understands how serious this crime is. If I was a correction officer there, I'd wipe that smirk right off his face.
Unknown

United States

#11 Mar 1, 2007
I was the passenger in the crash, in fact the man driving the car was my fiance. I'm so sorry to all that have to morn over his stupidity. This accident broke our relationship apart. I hope he gets what he deserves, i will tell everyone that he has a great heart and is under 24/7 suicide watch. He feels absolutely awful. Not that it matters, i just want to send my regards to all her friends. I iwll forever be asking god for forgivness even though i wasn;t the one driving i feel just as guilty. I'm so sorry. Here is a poem Logan wrote about her in case anyone would like to read it...
The thoughts of a lonely mind but a loving heart…

As I sit and sigh my sighs turn to cries.
As I ask god why… god why did she die.
She was too young to fly. Too young to fly, so young to die, for her family to cry.
So young for her family to cry and ask you why?
As the days go by her soul learns to fly, as my soul learns to die.
God why.. God why! God why, do my days pass by, when she could still be here to try?
She could still try to pry the life from this world.. But I still cry, and ask you why? For you try to tell me why!
It was her time to fly, and it was my time to cry.
For you all cannot die, for you all need to see one die, to see how to fly…
To see when to cry.
For we all have succeeded, just open your eyes.. Don’t cry.
With your eyes, see the wise, and don’t let your day’s pass by…
For it might be your day to die.
Live life, but embrace death for it is your equal.
Respect the boundaries which we live upon, for they will show you the same courtesy they did me if you break them.
There for live every day as if it were your last!

By: Logan Hunter McFarland
Unknown

United States

#12 Mar 1, 2007
And for whoever said we were just rotten kids who don;t care your very much so wrong. I feel awful i cry myself to sleep every night. What an amazing person she was and who are we nothing in comparison. After this accident i enrolled myself in treatment and i'm leaving the state to get my act together because i cant bare it here anymore its too hard. This was a huge rude awaking for all of us and it kills us everytime we think about it how dare someone assume we don;t feel or care thats absurd! The girl with the scar on her face is no rotten kid we stayed up with eachother crying for 2 weeks straight mourning with this horrible thing that happened. The driver of the car Logan McFarland nonetheless was my fiance and when this all happened countless lies arose. I'm more than sorry i am at a loss for words. Logan will get what he deserves as karma finally caught up with his spoiled ass. I respect any opinion anyone would like to make about me or my freinds but its very wrong what was said. mY HEART hurts every fucking day, i will never ever ever forgive myself! And we were all yelling for logan to stop but he didn't! The cause of this accident was so preventable it makes it hard for me to sleep eat any of the normal functions a human should have because it makes me so sick! SO sick! So please dont penalize the stupid teens that were with him. Please, its partially our fault no matter what is said i know but please let us live at peace and do something with our lives i know rebecca would like to look down and see us make something of ourselves not just sit around and continue on the same path. Again my heart goes out to ALL OF YOU! I am so sorry and will forever be sorry. I am at a loss for words. Please understand we will ask god for forgivness until its our time to go.
Thanks for listening.
-Unknown
annonymous

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Mar 1, 2007
You have to be absolutely out of your mind if you honestly think that we are not effected by this just as much as everyone else. if not more because we were the ones that caused it. but just so you i dont walk around school all day ranting and raving about the accident or talking about how my scar is healing or my bruised legs. its actually quite the opposite. i stayed home from work, school, and my friends and cried for two weeks. the only one i wanted to talk to on the phone was my friend, the other passenger. yeah we made a mistake by letting or trusting logan to drink and drive but you cant honestly say that you have never done that yourself. how was i supposed to know that logan is an idiodic psycho who thinks he has control over everyone and everything around him. trust me i know now. i yelled, screamed, and begged for him to stop. but what did he do? not a damn thing. this whole even has changed my life so much. it still doesnt even seem real to me. we were all planning on attending rebeccas funeral but we didnt find out when it was until the day of, and my dad did go.. but rebeccas family member told him it wasnt neccessary to come pick me up from school. i wrote her family a sympathy letter which i know doesnt mean anything. but what else am i suppose to do? i fell horrible for this.. but if it was me behind the wheel (which i wouldnt have been if i was intoxicated anyway) then this would have never happened. i tried my best to prevent it while it was happening. so no i dont believe that the dumb teenagers that were in the truck or just as much responsible for this than logan.
Sara

Burnsville, MN

#15 Mar 9, 2007
I am Logan's cousin, I am very close with him. I couldn't beleive it when I heard what happened. I understand everyone being angry and sad. I feel for the family and I am sorry to everyone who lost someone special. I am mostly sorry to Rebecca. Although I know my cousin and he is not a loser he is not a bad person and to his fiance who I never liked in the first place he isn't spolied any more. You get to live your life after all said and done because you were just along for the ride well have fun girl. Just remember you were going to spend the rest of your life with him, you are a liar. Oh just to let everyone know every person in that vehicle is to blame. Yes Logan was driving he made the worst mistake if his life that night. He will forever be stuck with this and he will do his time that he deserves. They were all driking and they all made a bad call getting in the truck that night. No one said hey mabey Logan shouldn't drive and mabey we shouldn't get in the truck. Well know one did they all hopped in and they all made a mistake. Every person who was in that truck that night just thank god every day you are alive and not in jail. This is also affecting our family nothing will ever be the same. Everyone makes mistakes and hopefully god takes good care of Rebecca and wathces over my cousin Logan. I needed to let some things out and I did. So Rebecca rest in peace and Logan I love you.
MADD

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Mar 9, 2007
Sara wrote:
I am Logan's cousin, I am very close with him. I couldn't beleive it when I heard what happened. I understand everyone being angry and sad. I feel for the family and I am sorry to everyone who lost someone special. I am mostly sorry to Rebecca. Although I know my cousin and he is not a loser he is not a bad person and to his fiance who I never liked in the first place he isn't spolied any more. You get to live your life after all said and done because you were just along for the ride well have fun girl. Just remember you were going to spend the rest of your life with him, you are a liar. Oh just to let everyone know every person in that vehicle is to blame. Yes Logan was driving he made the worst mistake if his life that night. He will forever be stuck with this and he will do his time that he deserves. They were all driking and they all made a bad call getting in the truck that night. No one said hey mabey Logan shouldn't drive and mabey we shouldn't get in the truck. Well know one did they all hopped in and they all made a mistake. Every person who was in that truck that night just thank god every day you are alive and not in jail. This is also affecting our family nothing will ever be the same. Everyone makes mistakes and hopefully god takes good care of Rebecca and wathces over my cousin Logan. I needed to let some things out and I did. So Rebecca rest in peace and Logan I love you.
I totally agree with you...they are all to blame. I am always making sure there is a sober person to drive and I would never let anyone I love and care about get behind the wheel drunk. I would rather call the police and stop something before it got started. I am sorry for Rebecca's family and I am sorry for what Logan's family is going through. This is a hard situation for both families. I think all the people in the car should get charged, just not Logan because they are just as much as fault. Just because you asked him to stop..dont make you a hero!!! You should have stopped the car from starting in the first place.
Aunt Tammy

Eden Prairie, MN

#17 Mar 12, 2007
I am Logans former aunt through marriage. Since the day of the accident, not a day goes by when I don't think of Logan and his family and Rebecca and her family.
One could never imagine waking up, finding yourself in jail, finding out the night before, that you killed someone.
All of you kids out there, think about it.
Alchohol when used in excess, causes blackouts.
Logan blacked out, that still doesn't make it right, getting behind the wheel, but when you blackout you are not in your right state of mind.
That is why we are supposed to have sober drivers, and protect the friends and family we love.
I saw Logan acouple of years ago. He has had alot of hard trials and tribulations in his life at such a young age.
Parents divorce, father not much in the picture, troubles learning from day one. Failed school system, abuse, yadayadayada.
Alot of people around Logan have failed him over his life.And he has failed them too.
So many times when a child is stuggling and hurting so bad inside they turn to drugs and alcohol.
My heart feels for Logan and his family everyday.
What he needs right now is all the support he can get from his friends and his family.

To the fiance who called him the idiotic psycho, really, you do need some help.
I dont believe for one minute you were screaming stop. As fast as it happened, You couldn't have barely seen it coming.
You and your other friends that were in the vehicle
are all just as much to blame, but its you kids that won't be sitting behind bars.
You kids I can't pray for. You turned on your lover,your friend, your fiance, at the worst time of his life.
Should Logan pay? Of course. But the payment has to stop at some point.
Hopefully in time with counseling etc, some day Logan can try to live his life again.

Almost 20 years ago, I was at the hospital where Logan was born. What I saw was a beautiful baby boy.One could never imagine his future, or Rebecca's future ending up this way.
We as parents hopefully do everything in our power to raise them right so they make the right choices.
But when the family is broken, all thoses things change. Security is gone, family values gone.
I can only hope Logans parents continue to pull together to help save this boy.
And when I say boy, that is what he is. Still a kboy, not yet a man. So So Sad.

To Rebecca's family, The image of her will forever be etched into my mind. Because I too have beautiful daughters Rebeccas age, and I can only hope and pray that such a tragic loss does not endure upon my girls.
I will continue to pray for you and Rebecca.

Logan, stay stong.

Aunt Tammy
Witness

Englewood, CO

#18 Mar 19, 2007
My husband and I witnessed the crash. My husband was the first person to reach Rebecca. He talked to her, brushed her hair out of her face, and did absolutely everything he could to help her. I tried to help the passengers in Logan's vehicle and my attempts were returned with vulgar language and utter disrespect expressed through a cloud of severe intoxication. At no point did any of them express concern for Rebecca. They demanded that their (minor) injuries be attended to when all the attention was focused on her. I was standing right there when Logan opened his door and stumbled out of his truck. I will never forget how he looked, how he smelled, and how he could barely walk. Shortly thereafter I listened as he became belligerent with the officers and was put into one of the police cars. That experience changed us forever. There is no punishment severe enough for the driver or for the passengers. They are all responsible for the death of a young, promising life. I hope they carry that weight with them for the rest of their lives.
Tammy

Eden Prairie, MN

#19 Mar 29, 2007
Witness wrote:
My husband and I witnessed the crash. My husband was the first person to reach Rebecca. He talked to her, brushed her hair out of her face, and did absolutely everything he could to help her. I tried to help the passengers in Logan's vehicle and my attempts were returned with vulgar language and utter disrespect expressed through a cloud of severe intoxication. At no point did any of them express concern for Rebecca. They demanded that their (minor) injuries be attended to when all the attention was focused on her. I was standing right there when Logan opened his door and stumbled out of his truck. I will never forget how he looked, how he smelled, and how he could barely walk. Shortly thereafter I listened as he became belligerent with the officers and was put into one of the police cars. That experience changed us forever. There is no punishment severe enough for the driver or for the passengers. They are all responsible for the death of a young, promising life. I hope they carry that weight with them for the rest of their lives.
I am sosorry you both had to see this, Logan is my nephew through marriage, now divorced. I am still in awe and shocked. It has changed everyones lives. Not a day goes by when I don't think of rebecca or logan.
He does have to live with this the rest of his life. And one thing I know, as much as his whole life has been screwed up, I know he has a heart.
I will pray for Rebecca, and her family, as well as Logan and his family.
No matter what Logan does, the rest of his life, it will always haunt him.
I personally could never live with that.
There is no excuse, but to imagine, waking up the next day, in jail, finding out you killed someone, and dont remember.
Take care
down with mcfarland

Lake City, FL

#20 Apr 1, 2007
logan is nuts. Who walks around with 4 knifes in there pockets. Who carves a name in a bat to use on someone. Who dates a 15 year old girl for 4 months, when there almost 20. Who crashes a car drunk then gets a new car, crashes that and kills. He is a sh*t bag that deserves life. well... at least for 10 years Eagan will be a little safer to drive.
The Truth

Peoria, AZ

#21 Apr 2, 2007
Drunk drivers are not great people who made a mistake. They are people who made a CHOICE to endanger others through CRIMINAL activity. "Unknown" - you were a passenger? You belong in jail too. Life is choices - people need to quit trying to pretend they aren't responsoble.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police: Seven officers injured, one unresponsiv... 1 hr Little Boy Blue 7
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) 6 hr Analog man 225
Stillwater Police Seek Public's Help Finding Mi... 10 hr Berry Lewis Obumma 1
Message For (MSP) St.Paul , Minnesota Police De... 16 hr Real_Deal 11
News Source: Southwest line price tag balloons towar... 18 hr Honky 16
NHL playoffs!!! 20 hr can u say 4 21
Do feel-good stories make up better people? 21 hr Spirit of 1776 1
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE