Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2013

Judged:

On Thursday, the day after the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, thousands of fast-food workers in 60 cities walked off their jobs, the latest in an escalating series of walkouts by low-wage workers demanding higher pay and the right to organize without retaliation.

The parallels, though inexact, are compelling. A half-century ago, the marchers called on Congress to increase the minimum wage from $1.15 an hour to $2 “so that men may live in dignity,” in the words of Bayard Rustin, one of the chief organizers of the march. Today, the fast-food workers also seek a raise, from the $9 an hour that most of them make to $15.00 an hour. That’s not much different from what the marchers wanted in 1963; adjusted for inflation,$2 then is $13.39 an hour today.

President Obama has noted, correctly, that increases in labor productivity have long failed to translate into higher wages for most Americans, even while income for the richest households has skyrocketed. His proposed remedies, however, leave much to be desired — a pathetic increase in the minimum wage, to $9 an hour by 2016, plus hopeful assertions that revolutions in energy, technology, manufacturing and health care will create good-paying jobs.

It can't be said enough. Corporations are pulling in record profits. CEOs are continuing to increase their already ludicrous pay. It's way, way, WAY past time that workers got to partake in the bounty they are creating.
goose

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2013

Judged:

Here, here! A fitting dream for Labor Day weekend.
Schmahl Spew

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2013

Judged:

It can't be said enough. Corporations are pulling in record profits. CEOs are continuing to increase their already ludicrous pay. It's way, way, WAY past time that workers got to partake in the bounty they are creating.
The Answer

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2013

Judged:

If the underpaid Micky D's employees would just open up their own restaurant to compete with McDonald's, they could then pay themselves whatever they want. Don't worry about profits or prices. Build it and they will come. Yeah, that's the ticket.
X con

Cottage Grove, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2013

Judged:

Ivan wrote:
<quoted text>I don't want any dirty hands on my burger.
We only do that for the drive thru customers.
LIbEralS

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2013

Judged:

Instead of dreaming of a living wage, HOW ABOUT NOT SETTLING FOR A MNIMUM WAGE JOB?

Success looks a lot like good old fashioned hard work.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Anti-Gay 11 min Joe Balls 14
The Reverend Jesse Jackson visits Bainport (Oct '12) 1 hr Capt Crunch 6
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr redeemer 25,983
Muslim drivers refuse to work over Gay Games ad 2 hr redeemer 21
Obama Victory - US freeing Iran funds as Tehran... 2 hr redeemer 21
the NON affordable care act (Oct '13) 4 hr Dead Wolf Expert Here 214
For a good, cheaper cigar, head to Wisconsin; M... 6 hr bud_schmones 73
•••
•••