GOP Mississippi sheriff indicted on 31 charges

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

John Lee Anonymous

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Aug 31, 2013
Source: Associated Press

Mississippi sheriff indicted on 31 charges
By HOLBROOK MOHR, Associated Press | August 31, 2013 | Updated: August 31, 2013 10:59am

JACKSON, Miss.(AP)ó JACKSON, Miss.(AP)ó In an Aug. 30 story about Jackson County Sheriff Mike Byrd being indicted in south Mississippi, The Associated Press erroneously identified Keith Davis as the police chief of Ocean Springs, Miss. He is the police chief of Moss Point, Miss. A corrected version of the story is below:

A south Mississippi sheriff has been indicted on 31 counts, including charges accusing him of pushing an arrest in a murder case, even though a detective thought the suspect was innocent, and of snooping on employees at a restaurant that refused to accept a check from him.

The indictment against longtime Jackson County Sheriff Mike Byrd was dated Thursday and made public Friday. It charges him with using his office to retaliate against people he considered political and personal foes, including an area police chief and an alderman. The charges include fraud, extortion, embezzlement, witness tampering and perjury.

One of the charges said Byrd pressured a detective to sign a criminal affidavit and seek an arrest warrant against a man in a murder investigation in 2007 when the detective did not believe the man committed the crime. The indictment said Byrd was running for re-election at the time and wanted to be able to say there were no unsolved murders in the coastal Mississippi county of about 140,000 people.

An extortion charge in the indictment said Byrd pressured a female deputy to engage in sexual acts and threatened to give her a bad recommendation if she left his department.

~snip~

Byrd is a Republican in his fourth term.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Missi...
LIbEralS

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Aug 31, 2013
Sounds like liberal tactics to me.
Jennifer

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Aug 31, 2013
Typical Republican.
Racist Democrats

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Aug 31, 2013
Jennifer wrote:
Typical Republican.
Typical lying Democrats.
goose

Chicago, IL

#5 Aug 31, 2013
Ask any member of a minority group which party is racist and you'll get the same answer 90% of the time - the Republicans.
Smarter Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Sep 1, 2013
Ask any of the 90+% black Americans who voted for Obama to get an honest answer.
Smartest Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Sep 1, 2013
I gots no job cuz I gots no skills. I gots my free Obamaphone. I gots my free healthcare. I gots my welfare check each month. If I votes for a Republican, I gets none of that.

I votes for Democrats.
Racist Republicans

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Sep 1, 2013
Ask any of the 90+% black Americans who voted for Obama to get an honest answer

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans Simply Donít Want Minorities To Vote 23 min Go Blue Forever 45
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 25 min Go Blue Forever 257
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 51 min LIbEralS 32,645
Meet the Minnesota Vikings All-Arrested team 52 min cantmakeitup 2
Minnesota governor calls for Adrian Peterson's ... 59 min cantmakeitup 2
Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr really 26,265
NFL Team: The Minnesota Child Beaters 2 hr Space ace 9
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••