ABC cancels 2 longtime soaps from daytime lineup

Full story: TwinCities.com

ABC is canceling the soap operas "All My Children" and "One Life to Live," both programs that have been on the network's daytime lineup for more than 40 years.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 55 of55
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Sherry

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2011

Judged:

I have watched both of these shows since I was in the 7th grade. What am I gonna watch now? This is not a good thing at all. I will miss these shows very much

Since: Mar 11

Greenville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2011

Judged:

Is there no end to the damage done by the republicans who do not care about the elderly and homebound who depend on these programs for a diversions.

Where are the jobs, Will these poor actors be cut off of unemployement insureance after a measly two years.

Republicans hate the creative people.

Republicans hate day time television.
Eddie

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2011

Judged:

EmmaRae wrote:
I have been watching both soaps since I was in highschool. Sad to see them go. That's all we need is another cooking show or doctor show.
Maybe you should learn to read. There are many good books out there.

Since: Mar 11

Greenville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2011

Judged:

The hateful republicans are cancelling these programs to torment the democrats who need these programs.
Eddie

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2011

Judged:

Soap operas are proof that there are feeble minded people.

Since: Oct 07

Cloud Nine

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2011

Judged:

Eddie wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should learn to read. There are many good books out there.
I read plenty and work full time.

Since: May 09

Mounds Park, St Paul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2011

Judged:

EmmaRae wrote:
<quoted text>
I read plenty and work full time.
Convoluted story lines abound in soaps. Obviously Eddie has never watched one. You need a superior intellect just to figure out what the heck All My Kids' Opal is saying! That accent is a hard row to hoe.

Since: Oct 07

Cloud Nine

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2011

Judged:

Margie Gunderson wrote:
<quoted text>
Convoluted story lines abound in soaps. Obviously Eddie has never watched one. You need a superior intellect just to figure out what the heck All My Kids' Opal is saying! That accent is a hard row to hoe.
LOL I totally agree with you. How about Roxie?? She's a trip.

Mounds Park, St Paul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2011

Judged:

EmmaRae wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I totally agree with you. How about Roxie?? She's a trip.
In the real world, it SNOWED overnite here in the Twin Cities. I got up early to see if I needed to shovel but it's just on the grass. Winter's last gasp.

Roxie is a gigantic trip --- but Dorian Lord Cramer has been my favorite all-time OLTL trippy character. Agnes Nixon must've been on acid when developing some of Dorian's story lines.

Dorian being named US ambassador to Mendorra comes to mind. Or when Joey Buchanan started dating Dorian?? Viki's reaction was priceless! Viki turning into Niki and killing Dorian? More than a distinct possibility. Or when Dorian declared she was gay to win the LGBT vote when she ran for mayor of Llanview?? She's still mayor ... Viki can't say that.

The Viki-Niki-others changeroo-switcheroo has been fun, huh?... though sometimes over-done, like in the early 90s. Tina Lord Clayton is another full-blown OLTL character that I found hilarious and that whole bunch of Cramer women have been fun.

Except for the Cramers and Lords, none of the old Llanview families survived. I began watching OLTL while I was in college. Yes, I arranged classes in order to watch it at the campus Newman Center TV lounge.

A junkie I was, but we didn't have VCRs back then. The Wolek and Vernon families were big then. Remember Brad the Cad Vernon raping his ister-in-law Karen Wolek? Katrina Karr's live baby being switched for Jenny Vernon's dead one? And Sadie -- and her long-lost daughter, Carla. I'm old ... OLTL and I go way back.

Liz Taylor might have guest-starred on General Hospital, and Erica Kane did reign as daytime TVs eternal bad-girl, but OLTL had the best story lines, by far.

It will be strange not knowing what's going on in Pine Valley and LLanview, PA. The soap's Twin Cities. It is the passing of an American art-form. As the World Turns ... Secret Storm ... Guiding Light ... Search for Tomorrow. One of my grandmothers called them her "stories." My mother was only addicted to one soap: "The Doctors." And I only watched OLTL.

At least we had fun! Best soap opera name? Nora Hanen Gannon Buchanan.
here we go

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2011

Judged:

I remember as a teenager during the summer, dragging myself out of bed, bright and early at the crack of noon to watch "my soaps." It's been YEARS since I've tuned in to any of them. I think I tried about 15 years ago when I did the stay at home mom thing, but I was too busy and it was too hard to catch up. Still, I'm sorry to see these two go. Like it or not, soaps really were a part of American culture, and some of these actors will be known as icons.

Mounds Park, St Paul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2011

here we go wrote:
I remember as a teenager during the summer, dragging myself out of bed, bright and early at the crack of noon to watch "my soaps." It's been YEARS since I've tuned in to any of them. I think I tried about 15 years ago when I did the stay at home mom thing, but I was too busy and it was too hard to catch up. Still, I'm sorry to see these two go. Like it or not, soaps really were a part of American culture, and some of these actors will be known as icons.
It's difficult, at first, just to drop in on the Llanview-Pine Valley universe. But once you are acclimatized and understand who's who, I've found I don't need to watch 5 episodes per week.

By any means ... but I understand those that do.

One of my good friends (and her husband sometimes, mind you) watch GH episodes on Sat and Sun mornings, in bed together, and have since VCRs became available.

I've left OLTL for as long as two years at a time, particularly in the late 80s-early 90s, when the story lines became extremely loony. Erica Slezak didn't walk but Robin Strasser did -- for quite some time, too. Agnes Nixon had to come back personally and straighten matters out.

Isn't it interesting though ... I could always figure out exactly what was going on in Llanview within 1-2 OLTL episodes, even after my two-year strikes. Like country music, soaps are a universal language.
Janice

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2011

Judged:

Margie Gunderson wrote:
<quoted text>
Back then, Judith Light OWNED Llanview Waterworks. The look on everyone's face in that courtroom. Especially good sister Jenny, plus Sam Vernon and Ina Hopkins! What an episode that was.
Did you see? They aren't giving up the ghost on OLTL just yet. Roger Howarth is coming back as Todd Manning.
Tina Clayton has to come back again ...
It just keeps getting worse .Did you say they are replacing Todd on the show?? If that's so that will be the real nail in the coffin for me !!! Roger Howarth ,although he was the first Todd he didn't come close to the charisma that Trevor,has,I don't want to sound mean but that's how I see it .When Trevor and Cassie Depiava were acting together there were fireworks they had such chemistry together.O h well life goes on!!lol

Mounds Park, St Paul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2011

Judged:

Janice wrote:
<quoted text> It just keeps getting worse .Did you say they are replacing Todd on the show?? If that's so that will be the real nail in the coffin for me !!! Roger Howarth ,although he was the first Todd he didn't come close to the charisma that Trevor,has,I don't want to sound mean but that's how I see it .When Trevor and Cassie Depiava were acting together there were fireworks they had such chemistry together.O h well life goes on!!lol
What I saw in print was that OLTL is bringing back Roger Howarth. He may not be "Todd" again but I can't imagine him being anyone other than Todd.

Cassie De Paiva is another GREAT Cramer woman! Blair's character has spunk. I like spunk.
PO-d

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2011

Judged:

RepoMan wrote:
Just another Light Rail casualty.
Proof that the Light Rail will go to General Hospital!

Mounds Park, St Paul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2011

Judged:

PO-d wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof that the Light Rail will go to General Hospital!
I'm not sure but I think Port Charles has a subway. I seem to recall Luke lurking in a subway tunnel many years ago. Port Charles, NY, is supposedly a huge city - while Pine Valley and Llanview are merely Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia. Suburbs where a heck of a lot seems to goes on.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 55 of55
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Minneapolis Forum right now

Search the Minneapolis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Global cooling 'undeniable,' scientists say 1 hr Bellweather 7
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr SpaceBlues 31,836
Get away from the cities and all the crime 1 hr Bellweather 4
Springtime in Chicago 1 hr Bellweather 28
North Mpls. Facebook page gives community place... 3 hr Gen DeShawn Pedro Patton 1
OBAMA: I'm Not Interested in Photo-Ops 3 hr cowboy chris 48
Flood of Illegal Immigrant Children into Texas ... 4 hr LainaMaRaina 23
•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search