Pope Announces Day of Fasting for Pea...

Pope Announces Day of Fasting for Peace for Syria

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

background noise

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Sep 1, 2013
Source: Associated Press

Pope Francis on Sunday condemned the use of chemical weapons, but he called for a negotiated settlement to the civil war in Syria, and announced he would lead a worldwide day of fasting and prayer for peace there on Sept. 7.

"My heart is deeply wounded by what is happening in Syria and anguished by the dramatic developments" on the horizon, Francis said, in an apparent reference to the U.S. and France considering a military strike to punish the Syrian regime for a chemical weapons attack.

Usually soft-spoken, Francis raised his voice as he declared, "War brings on war! Violence brings on violence."

His admonishment against resorting to arms as a solution recalled the repeated emotional implorations a decade ago by the late Pope John Paul II in a vain attempt to persuade the U.S. administration then led by President George W. Bush not to invade Iraq.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory...

I hope that our lawmakers will heed the wise words of Pope Francis. The Pope speaks for the sake of not just Syrian Christendom, but for all Syrians and people around the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 25 min well 26,489
Another white guy!!!! 1 hr Davycrockett 1
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 6 hr Bill Dunning 38,817
Somali Charged with Murder 16 hr Fake news 5
Maggie the Midwife 16 hr Space ace 2
Ask a deplorable. Hahaha 21 hr LIbErals 6
Where’s all the winning? 23 hr Davycrockett 1

Minneapolis Jobs

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages