Racist Art Song's sign uncovered in SW Mpls

May 16, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: City Pages

Legendary but now-closed chicken wings joint Shorty & Wags used to be located at 3753 Nicollet Ave.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
CRASSUS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Chicken wings are racist! So is watermelon.
"I don't know if we we all not as sensitive in the early '80s, or whatever," he said. "I don't remember any controversy over it and my guess would be that a lot of that stuff was taken for granted back then."
griddy

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Judged:

We've come along way to be privileged and bored enough to be offended by this.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Judged:

CRASSUS wrote:
Chicken wings are racist! So is watermelon.
"I don't know if we we all not as sensitive in the early '80s, or whatever," he said. "I don't remember any controversy over it and my guess would be that a lot of that stuff was taken for granted back then."
I guess I just don't see this sign as being racist. It's a caricature of some sort, yes, but racist? People really have to get over themselves and stop believing they are "offended" by stupid shiat.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Judged:

Only the PC crazed "City Pages" would find this a story! Next!!
RIP Carl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Judged:

Every other lyric in a rap song nowadays is the N word.
Solve for X

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Just another Ancient Chinese Secret.
Mike

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Judged:

Someone is always offended.
AntiMelting

New Richmond, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

That's so wong.
Internet Hypocrites

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

Niether of the Above wrote:
Only the PC crazed "City Pages" would find this a story! Next!!
City Pages is PC except for their weekly Bachmann bashing and back-page ads for underage prostitutes.
Steve Adams

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Judged:

I delivered Asian food supplies to Art Song in the early '70s when he ran "Art Song's Teahouse" in downtown Hopkins. Art was one of the first Vietnamese to settle in Minnesota, was very Americanized, had a great sense of humor, AND had a pencil-thin mustache. If was always fun delivering to Art because he was a very outgoing and sociable guy. This picture is a caricature of Art Song himself. He probably had this sign done as a self-deprecating joke. After the teahouse went out of business, he had a string of chicken wing and rib shops, some of which have continued in business even after Art's death.
Osmosis Jones

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

Best chicken wings ever. lets face it, what isn;t racist in todays world, only blacks can call each other nióer, anyone else is racist go figure. Stupidity is bliss.
Seattle Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

Osmosis Jones wrote:
Best chicken wings ever. lets face it, what isn;t racist in todays world, only blacks can call each other nióer, anyone else is racist go figure. Stupidity is bliss.
Pretty blissful, huh ? In today's world, why not get along ? Funny, chicken hawks...
Osmosis Jones

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

Judged:

Seattle Slew wrote:
<quoted text>Pretty blissful, huh ? In today's world, why not get along ? Funny, chicken hawks...
itís great being white, hahahahahaha, you dipshit.
Seattle Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

Judged:

Osmosis Jones wrote:
<quoted text> itís great being white, hahahahahaha, you dipshit.
Is it great to wash cars "professionally", boi !?? I feel your anger, wigger....
Seattle Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Funny, you wash cars and lie, huh !???
pc pride

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2012

I think popeye's chicken should shut down because its so stereotypical.
Denny

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2012

Chinese people never swear...... Ashole Ashole
Dan Song

South Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Steve Adams wrote:
I delivered Asian food supplies to Art Song in the early '70s when he ran "Art Song's Teahouse" in downtown Hopkins. Art was one of the first Vietnamese to settle in Minnesota, was very Americanized, had a great sense of humor, AND had a pencil-thin mustache. If was always fun delivering to Art because he was a very outgoing and sociable guy. This picture is a caricature of Art Song himself. He probably had this sign done as a self-deprecating joke. After the teahouse went out of business, he had a string of chicken wing and rib shops, some of which have continued in business even after Art's death.
Hi, my name is Dan Song I was the Chinese chef at the teahouse, my father was Siamese, I am amazed that you remember us...Thanks for the comment.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 18 of18
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance