Minnesota Twins' Kevin Slowey moving to DL; pitcher coming from Class AAA Rochester

There are 30 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 25, 2011, titled Minnesota Twins' Kevin Slowey moving to DL; pitcher coming from Class AAA Rochester. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Minnesota Twins are close to putting Kevin Slowey on the 15-day disabled list because of a mild abdominal strain and recalling a reliever from Class AAA Rochester, probably Jim Hoey, manager Ron Gardenhire said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gas

Seneca Falls, NY

#1 May 25, 2011
Yea right Gardy you bring up the two worst pitchers in Hoey and Hughes guess you haven't learned that they are only good minor league pitchers not major league. So when the lose more games for us you can blame the other pitchers., Gardy you no manager who doesn't know how to motivate or encourage your players to put effort in their play. You are even playing The Japan player at short which makes no sense, but again you suck! Suck! I mean Suck! as a manager when things are tough only good when things are easy, that's why this team is made up of efffortless, outworked, and outplayed players who are wimps.
Dismayed

Redmond, WA

#2 May 25, 2011
It's hilarious; the Twins have talked through the media in a ton of hatchet pieces on Slowey about how he doesn't have the guts to pitch out of the bullpen. Turns out he's injured. But they still want to trade him because they don't like him.

This is a Major League Baseball team, not a good ol' boys club. Slowey in the rotation and Duensing in the bullpen is what's best for the team right now, and probably best for their careers overall. Instead, Slowey will be traded for marginal relief prospects who will not help the team.

I hope he goes to the National League and is a stud so that it can be used as another piece of evidence that this front office needs to be shaken up.

Also, this team needs to do something about their medical staff. Wrong diagnosises lead to the manager or talking heads or fans of the team calling the players a bunch of sissies.
twinsfanrich

Perry, IA

#3 May 25, 2011
C'mon, not Hoey again. Get Chuck James on the 40 man roster and get him up here. I are you listening Bill Smith?
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

#4 May 25, 2011
twinsfanrich wrote:
C'mon, not Hoey again. Get Chuck James on the 40 man roster and get him up here. I are you listening Bill Smith?
Give Hoey another chance, but definitely bring up James. Swarzak can return to AAA. The Twins wonder about their pitchers, but they've been using Swarzak strictly as a starter in AAA. And now, suddenly, in the majors, the guy is supposed to pitch effectively out of the bullpen. The team needs to bring up relievers when it needs relievers, not guys that are in the AAA starting rotation. Swarzak has done little successful work at any time in his career as a reliever. And as a starter, well, he hasn't been overly outstanding, either. Furthermore, the Twins do need to give some of their AAA relievers a real chance this season, guys like Slama and Waldrop. If these guys can't cut it, the Twins should get rid of them or try to get something for them. These pitchers are getting older and they've been in the organization for a while now. Why keep them around if they're never going to make the major league team?
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

#5 May 25, 2011
Let's add to the conversation something that no one is willing to say. Nathan should have been rehabbing this season in AAA and not at the major league level. The Twins might have been able to give some of their other AAA pitchers a serious look. Maybe Nathan will a bit more effective later in the season, but he hasn't been much more help to the Twins than a good AAA reliever.
Ryan

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 26, 2011
Good point about Nathan, but then that would make the front office look bad for giving Nathan a big contract. Same reason we're stuck with Capps because we traded a good catcher for him, so we had to stick with him instead of cheaper, stronger relievers. Stubborn egos has taken this team way down.
LRH

Montevideo, MN

#7 May 26, 2011
It is high time that Gardenhire start to make smart managerial decisions when it comes to his pitchers. As for Slowey, send him packing to anyone that will take the worthless piece of crap. He has a gib ego to go with his huge ERA.
c-man

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 26, 2011
Gardy better be careful how he talks about the bullpen. If he says it is a punishment for a pitcher to go there, then what are all the bullpen pithcers supposed to think ? The bullpen is just as, and maybe even more important than starting pitchers. Teams that go deep in the playoffs usually have great bullpens.

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#9 May 26, 2011
The Twins coaching staff has a way of screwing around with a pitcher and if he disagrees with what they want him to do, he is suddenly on the outs with Gardenhose and his lame pitching coach. Lohse and Garza are two perfect examples of pitchers who left the Twins and gone on to have solid major league careers.
From 1st to worst in less than a year. WOW!
It's time for a change!
Beth Z

Saint Paul, MN

#10 May 26, 2011
Duensing is 2-5 with a 4.83 ERA this season.(Not good!) Gardy said: I like the kid. So he's in there. I think it's unfair to punish Brian Duensing."
"I don't think going to the bullpen is a punishment or a demotion by any means," Duensing said.

Why can't Gardy just do what's best for the team instead of playing favorites and acting like a petty child? Manager of the year my butt.

“Free and Fair Elections”

Since: Jan 09

Zumbrota, MN

#11 May 26, 2011
Everything has gone bad. I consider the problems with the offense to be fluky. Guys with good track records are not performing for no apparent reason and that is where the bulk of the injuries has occurred. However, the pitching staff is really a mess, especially the bullpen. Looking at the guys past records and accounting for Nathan coming back from TJ surgery, it would figure that the pitching staff would have problems.
Rino

Minneapolis, MN

#12 May 26, 2011
I'm not sad to see him go, He's a strange bird. I vividly remember him pitching a good game and then going around hugging the guys in the dugout. Thome gave him a look like you are odd...
Starterchoe

Minneapolis, MN

#13 May 26, 2011
So now being in the bullpen is punishment? I would take that punishment!
gloria

Minneapolis, MN

#14 May 26, 2011
i bet mauer and slowey are best friends!
Gardy

Eden Prairie, MN

#15 May 26, 2011
Gardy is being dumb. The point of being a manager is to help the team win. The worst part of the team is the bullpen and adding Duensing to the bullben would make it much, much better. Nobody can tell me this team wouldn't be better off with Slowey starting instead of Dunsing and Dunsing instead of Hoey in the bullpen. Yeah, it sucks for Dunsing, but such is life. He still gets paid the same, and he'll get to start as soon as the Twins trade a starter during the inevitable trade deadline blowout sale. In fact, the Twins should probably be talking to the Yankees right now offering a starter for one of the Yankees excellent catching prospects.
andy g

United States

#16 May 26, 2011
Should have traded Slowey last year. He will probably pull an Humber on them but they should try get something for him. I think he is by and large the 4th or 5th best starter candidate but is prone to injury apparently. It appears there is a communicvation problem in Minnesota where pitchers are concerned...started with Garza and now with Crain, Humber, Guerrer, Raush, and Fuentes all leaving. We are left with an ailing Nathan, Capps, Mijares, and Manship/Hoey/Swarzak or othe Redwing of choice....what was a strength is now a glaring weekness...Smith did not have a good off season apparently.
who ya crappin

Panama City, FL

#17 May 26, 2011
Hmmm. Let's see if I got this fingered out right. Slowey has been largely successful as a regular season starter and he can't crack the starting lineup for a team that has a very ordinary, at best, rotation. The team put's him in a spot where he can't or won't succeed and refuses to re think their position, even though they have the worst record in baseball.

Soooo, management sends him to enough doctors to finally get him on the dl and he then gets buried on an equally horrid minor league team of theirs. This sounds eerily familiar to a growing list of good major league players the Twins have sent packing, becasue they don't "fit" in. Garza, Losch etc.....

Me thinks the chinks are starting to show in the armor. Gardy just might be getting ready for the full time bowling league with big Herbie. Smith might need to dust off the old Peter Principle novel and then look in the mirror. Pohlad might want to come to the realization that the team buried itself on contracts to Mama's boy Mauer and Noodles Morneau and that they are sacked for a looong time in their new play pen. A play pen that will soon be averaging about 18,000 per night as the fair weather fans begin to show their typical lack of character. By the way, how would that roof look this year?
A Vkings fan

Stillwater, MN

#18 May 26, 2011
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
The Twins coaching staff has a way of screwing around with a pitcher and if he disagrees with what they want him to do, he is suddenly on the outs with Gardenhose and his lame pitching coach. Lohse and Garza are two perfect examples of pitchers who left the Twins and gone on to have solid major league careers.
From 1st to worst in less than a year. WOW!
It's time for a change!
I was disappointed when the Twins traded Garza and Bartlett (especially when all they got out of the deal was Delmon Young); I felt Bartlett was a fairly good shortstop, and I felt that Garza was coming into his own. However, when they made that trade, the Twins felt they had a lot of depth at pitcher, but needed some right-handed power. I didn't think the Twins got anywhere near enough for what they gave up. I think it's likely that the friction Garza had with his Twins coaches may have meant he was the pitcher included in the trade instead of one of the others, but the Twins had pretty much decided they were going to trade one of their pitchers for Young, anyway. Garza has not disappointed since the trade (unless somebody was expecting continuous Cy Young performances).

However, I can't agree with you at all when you say that Lohse has had a solid career after leaving the Twins, and I can't blame th Twins at all for dumping him! This guy is a mediocre major league pitcher, who continually went to arbitration for huge raises after borderline poor seasons! In the 7 seasons since he and the Twins parted ways, Lohse has had one and one-third good seasons -- if you count having an ERA under 4 as "good," and if you count what he's done so far in this season.(There's plenty of time for him to pitch in his usual poor fashion this year, though!) He's pretty much been pitching the same way for each club he's been with, and he's carrying a fearsome career ERA of 4.66!

Nope, I simply can't agree that Lohse is an example of a pitcher who blossomed after leaving the unreasonable coaching of the Twins.
TC Bear

Morristown, NJ

#19 May 26, 2011
Gardenhire is one of the most overrated Managers in baseball. This team sucks and much of the blame falls on his shoulders. He is an arrogant piece who plays favorites and takes the hard line with guys he thinks he can push around. Just look at all the questionable roster moves he makes. Not to mention the stupid managerial decisions he makes during most games and you realize this guy is a bleeping joke.

Fire Gardy, Fire Lucia, Fire Rambis, et al!!
A Vkings fan

Stillwater, MN

#20 May 26, 2011
who ya crappin wrote:
Hmmm. Let's see if I got this fingered out right. Slowey has been largely successful as a regular season starter and he can't crack the starting lineup for a team that has a very ordinary, at best, rotation. The team put's him in a spot where he can't or won't succeed and refuses to re think their position, even though they have the worst record in baseball.
Soooo, management sends him to enough doctors to finally get him on the dl and he then gets buried on an equally horrid minor league team of theirs. This sounds eerily familiar to a growing list of good major league players the Twins have sent packing, becasue they don't "fit" in. Garza, Losch etc.....
Me thinks the **** are starting to show in the armor. Gardy just might be getting ready for the full time bowling league with big Herbie. Smith might need to dust off the old Peter Principle novel and then look in the mirror. Pohlad might want to come to the realization that the team buried itself on contracts to Mama's boy Mauer and Noodles Morneau and that they are sacked for a looong time in their new play pen. A play pen that will soon be averaging about 18,000 per night as the fair weather fans begin to show their typical lack of character. By the way, how would that roof look this year?
I'll agree that the Twins have a "very ordinary" rotation this year (you are being generous with that assessment, I think), that Smith is not doing a good job of helping the Twins at all, that they should have put a retractable roof on the stadium, and that they will see a dramatic decline in attendance if they don't start making some moves to truly improve the team.
The rest of what you said, though, I don't agree with.
While I have seen some good thing from Slowey from time to time and wouldn't necessarily want to give up on him just yet, I can't find a way to justify a pitcher with an ERA near 4.5 as being "largely successful." For a pitcher like that to be "successful" in terms of wins and losses, he needs his teammates to score an average of at least 5 runs per game whenever he takes the mound -- and if the team's offense does THAT, there's STILL no justification for giving hte pitcher credit for winning the game!
Slowey seems to fall into the same category as a Kyle Lohse, who might have a good year or two somewhere in his career, but is basically just "filler" on a MLB roster. Mediocre, at best. In relation to the rest of the rotation, well, maybe he deserves a longer look, but there really doesn't seem to be any reason for criticism of a manager who isnt' willing to put a pitcher like that in the starting rotation.
As I noted in an earlier post, I still wish the Twins would have kept Garza, and he may be an example of a good pitcher who was moved because of disagreements with his coaches. If that is the case, it still only makes one such case, and that sure doesn't constitute a pattern, or a cause for concern about how the coaches treat the pitchers!
As fans, there is no need for us to worry about the contracts to Mauer and Morneau; both of those guys are going to continue to be excellent major leaguers in all aspects of the game for a long time still. As for how the team spends it's money and whether it limits the things the team can do, the only limitation the Twins have on their payroll is the willingness of the Pohlads to spend the money needed to build a championship team.
Yeah, I KNOW that they gave big money this off-season to sign a free agent... but where the Twins needed the MOST help was in the pitching department. The Twins' biggest need was NOT for a second baseman with a good glove who had a total of ONE GOOD SEASON in his career prior to us signing him! Smith did NOTHING to improve the team going into this season, and simply making a splash by spending a boatload of cash on a free agent isn't going to fool enough fans into believing that they are trying to field a winner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best massage in Minneapolis 4 min Jbraceboy 10
Minneapolis PedalPub riders hit with water ball... 24 min Hello 16
austin red gaurds 2 hr space ace 1
2 men accused of trying to go to Syria face fra... 2 hr Tellitlikeitis 9
american nationalist party 12 hr TOASTER 18
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) 13 hr _Zoey_ 251
News GM recalls 207,000 Buick Regal and Pontiac Gran... (Mar '08) 16 hr Krystal 182
More from around the web

Minneapolis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]