AgStar wins ethanol plants

AgStar wins ethanol plants

There are 17 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 27, 2009, titled AgStar wins ethanol plants. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

When 17 bankrupt ethanol plants were sold at auction this month, the big news was that the nation's top oil refiner nabbed seven of them - a Big Oil twist on ethanol's trend toward corporate ownership.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

centralmnusa

Eden Valley, MN

#1 Mar 28, 2009
Would someone please drive a stake through the heart of this Republican scam. We all know ethanol is good welfare for farmers, costs more to produce than it is worth and would not survive without .50/gallon subsidy at a time when we should be subsidizing hybrid vehicles not corn!
crunch

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Mar 28, 2009
centralmnusa wrote:
Would someone please drive a stake through the heart of this Republican scam. We all know ethanol is good welfare for farmers, costs more to produce than it is worth and would not survive without .50/gallon subsidy at a time when we should be subsidizing hybrid vehicles not corn!
Don't blame the Repub's on this scam, they couldn't pull this off without the Nobel prize winning Al Gore whining about the global warming that I have been waiting on for about a month or so. It's a two sided scam.
Cornholer

Oak Forest, IL

#3 Mar 29, 2009
Al Gore is CHICKEN LITTLE with his "the sky is falling" crap. But Bozo Obama sure hasn't showed any intelligence when it comes to "Renewable fuels" he buys the ADM Montra all the way. What another Bush in the white house? Corn Ethanol will never do more than make us more dependent on foreign oil.
JimW

Mankato, MN

#4 Sep 17, 2009
Do you really thing ethnal is in our future?
LeRoy Deichman

Foristell, MO

#5 Mar 7, 2010
JimW wrote:
Do you really thing ethnal is in our future?
Yes .. Ethanol is.
If you really think it isn't, perhaps we could both learn from a discussion of the basis, of our difference.

“Earn it one day at a time”

Since: Sep 09

Madison WI

#6 Mar 7, 2010
6:1 energy loss for making ethanol
LeRoy Deichman

Foristell, MO

#7 Mar 7, 2010
centralmnusa wrote:
Do you think the taxpayer borne expenditures for liquid fossil fuels are less than the ".50/gallon subsidy" you refer to above? If you do, a comprehensive review of the basis you use;
may be instructive.
LeRoy Deichman

Foristell, MO

#8 Mar 7, 2010
Jeffrey MacDonald wrote:
6:1 energy loss for making ethanol

Would you care to post the basis of your "6:1 energy loss" claim?

Madison WI

#9 Mar 7, 2010
LeRoy Deichman wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you care to post the basis of your "6:1 energy loss" claim?
. Prof Patzek Cal Berkeley let me know if ya need more
LeRoy Deichman

Foristell, MO

#10 Mar 7, 2010
Jeffrey MacDonald wrote:
<quoted text>. Prof Patzek Cal Berkeley let me know if ya need more
..[test]

I was looking for the Basis [How the 6:1 was determined]

Madison WI

#11 Mar 8, 2010
LeRoy Deichman wrote:
<quoted text>..[test]
Google Patzek and 6:1 energy loss it pops up easily

“Celebrate Liberty and Freedom”

Mpls

#12 Mar 9, 2010
Another terrible renewable energy source
LeRoy Deichman

Foristell, MO

#13 Mar 10, 2010
LeRoy Deichman wrote:
<quoted text>..[test]
Am I correct to assume you're satisfied with all of the assumptions he used (to come up with the 6:1)? Or that they are consistent with current production practices? If you are, and we can find the time, a simple discussion of above could be instructive.

LeRoy Deichman

Foristell, MO

#14 Mar 11, 2010
LeRoy Deichman wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I correct to assume you're satisfied with all of the assumptions he used (to come up with the 6:1)? Or that they are consistent with current production practices? If you are, and we can find the time, a simple discussion of above could be instructive.
Above reply was to Jeffrey NacDonald. To those who may have read and believed Jeffrey's 1st post (way) above; it is my objective to initiate a transparent dialogue that exposes just how the 6:1 conclusion was reached. Thus the reason I initially asked him (also above) "if [he] cared to post the basis of the 6:1 claim".
Thanks

“Jaywalking”

Since: Oct 08

San Diego, CA

#15 Mar 20, 2010
centralmnusa wrote:
Cannot follow your logic. Full of contradictions.

The price of corn ($3.7075 as of 18 March 2010) is a market-driven (supply and demand) price, which contradicts your "welfare for farmers". The Government pays nothing to the farmers.

The $0.50 per gallon subsidy (I am assuming that you are referring to the ethanol plants) does not exist. These facilities use standard business accounting practices (start-up, equipment purchase and maintenance, depreciation, etc) which were used, but were not enough to offset the price of corn.

A further contradiction lies in your statement on investing in hybrid vehicles. They run on batteries and ethanol blends. That is why they are called Hybrids.

Again, your statements from start to finish do not connect. They appear to be based on opinion and not on peer-reviewed science.
Where R The Jobs

United States

#16 Mar 20, 2010
6:1 energy loss so who really cares-its all bad
LeRoy Deichman

Wentzville, MO

#17 Mar 6, 2014
All should care!
My point, however, was that the 6:1 ratio is not true!
When called to review the assumptions of that 6:1 claim, the original poster declined an attempt to verify and defend the source of the assumptions used to come up with the 6:1.
The greatest intergenerational theft on our children and their children's generation is that foisted on them by our addiction to oil!
Think about it.
Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
St. Paul Robber Shot! 45 min Oh well 3
Another white boy shooting innocent people again 1 hr crunch 31
Jordana Green 2 hr true 2
Pimples and white people 3 hr Sangelia 27
News Chemical-free swimming pool to open in North Mi... 3 hr Tellitlikeitis 54
Why Human Torch black? 5 hr FOVR 1
Dr. Walter James Palmer 5 hr mn cancer 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages