Big Bird Democrats know the score

Posted in the Minneapolis Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Smart Liberal

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Oct 8, 2012
In the Norquistian world that Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan and the 21st Century Republican Party want to create, soup lines like the one where Big Bird stands in tonight's Night Owls banner would be the answer to the social needs of the jobless and the working poor not making enough money to put food on the table. That's not hyperbole. That is exactly where the Ryan tax-and-budget plan Orwellianly called the "Path to Prosperity" would ultimately lead.
Not immediately, of course. They're smarter than that. They know they can't dismantle the Great Society and New Deal programs all at once. Any more than they can get rid of all the financial or environmental or health and safety regulations all at once. Instead, they do their shredding piecemeal. But their ultimate goal is to get us back to where we were with income tax rates on the rich and social spending for the rest of us set at the level of 1925. The days before unemployment insurance, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, cash and housing assistance for poor families, Headstart, Pell Grants and food stamps. Days when income and wealth inequality were peaking, union organizing was illegal and the vast majority of workers only dreamed of an eight-hour workday.

For the plutocrats, that was the good old days.

The Ryan plan, the Romney plan, the Republican plan would shred a broad range of programs, the goal being more shredding later. Food stamp funding would, for example, be chopped and capped and turned into a block grant to the states. Their plan wouldn't end the food stamp program—called SNAP in 26 states for the past four years—but would weaken it substantially. That's the case with other parts of the safety net, too. As Grover Norquist understands, bathtub drownings take time.

Now I have to be fair. Mitt Romney says he likes Big Bird. So, surely he doesn't want to actually see him in a soup line. He'd rather see him in a job. A private-sector job. What could a laid-off 43-year-old of dubious ethnicity with a single line on his résumé expect when his severance pay ran out? Maybe he could occasionally get one of those street-corner jobs waggling a sign directing people to a grand opening of condos or a Wal-Mart. Given its part-time, sporadic nature, it's not the kind of job that would make Big Bird eligible for unemployment insurance, but that's a good thing because we wouldn't want him to become government dependent.

Mitt Romney cuts in the dinner line at his own house and finishes eating before those last in the queue even get their food. You'll excuse me if I find the image of him sitting down with his kids or grandkids to watch "Sesame Street" just a tad hard to imagine. So, on second thought, his claim to actually like the yellow fellow is probably akin to his other campaign pronouncements, bogus.

What's not bogus is his desire as would-be president to gut government programs—big and small—while initiating
Smart Liberal

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Oct 8, 2012
As of this morning Romney is leading in the Swing State polls.

Since: Jul 12

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Oct 8, 2012
As of this morning Obama is leading in the Swing State polls.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

#4 Oct 8, 2012
58% of the jobs created in this so called recovery have been classified as low paying.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/31/news/economy/...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/31/low-...

P.S. Funny you posting the same thing under two different names, it must be hard to keep all of them straight.
Toidi Slayer

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Oct 8, 2012
As of this morning barry soetoro is still a muslim, and liberals are still drinking the one term jim carter kool aid.

the debate confirmed his in not a leader, President Mitt Romney will lead America back, just like President Regan did !

“The one and only Smart Liberal”

Since: Aug 12

Former MN Tax Payer

#6 Oct 8, 2012
Toidi Slayer wrote:
As of this morning Obama is leading in the Swing State polls.
4 days ago, Obama lead the Swing State Polls by 6%. Today it is 2%.

In another 4 days Obama will trail by 4%. Bye-bye Barry.
Nice Weather

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Oct 8, 2012
Bridgework wrote:
58% of the jobs created in this so called recovery have been classified as low paying.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/31/news/economy/...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/31/low-...
P.S. Funny you posting the same thing under two different names, it must be hard to keep all of them straight.
It must be even harder for YOU to keep all of your names straight then.

The low paying jobs are compliemnts of the Republicans.
Bridgework

Lincoln, NE

#8 Oct 8, 2012
Nice Weather wrote:
<quoted text>
It must be even harder for YOU to keep all of your names straight then.
The low paying jobs are compliemnts of the Republicans.
If the Republicans are responsible for 2.4 million low paying jobs, then why did Obama take credit for creating them?

P.S. You get cause posting under 2 names, so you have to accuse me of doing it?
Inquiring Minds

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Oct 8, 2012
Bridgework wrote:
<quoted text>
P.S. You get cause posting under 2 names, so you have to accuse me of doing it?
What does that mean in English?
CRASSUS

Green Bay, WI

#10 Oct 8, 2012
Who teaches black children how to be useful? Big Bird or Berry's buddy Jay Z?

Since: May 11

Burnsville, MN

#11 Oct 8, 2012
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
4 days ago, Obama lead the Swing State Polls by 6%. Today it is 2%.
In another 4 days Obama will trail by 4%. Bye-bye Barry.
It`s nice to have a dream :)
Right Wing Bigotry

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Oct 8, 2012
CRASSUS wrote:
Who teaches black children how to be useful? Big Bird or Berry's buddy Jay Z?
Who taught you how to be a hate filled bigot? I'm guessing you didn't have parents...

Former MN Tax Payer

#13 Oct 8, 2012
Snake Dr wrote:
<quoted text>
Just drawing a straight line from Point A to Point C withj Point B smack dap in the middle.

What I said is far more factual than the clown who keeps saying Obama has the Electoral Collge sewn up with over 270 votes or that Obama is leading in Ohio by 10%.
poll watcher

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Oct 8, 2012
Snake Dr wrote:
<quoted text>
Presidential Poll
October 8, 2012
By: David Flatt

Three new national presidential polls are out this morning which show the race for the president is a statistical tie between President Obama and Mitt Romney.

http://www.examiner.com/article/daily-preside...

Since: May 11

Burnsville, MN

#15 Oct 8, 2012
poll watcher wrote:
<quoted text>
Presidential Poll
October 8, 2012
By: David Flatt
Three new national presidential polls are out this morning which show the race for the president is a statistical tie between President Obama and Mitt Romney.
http://www.examiner.com/article/daily-preside...
As I said months ago... general election polls mean nothing.
Toidi Slayer

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Oct 8, 2012
Snake Dr wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said months ago... general election polls mean nothing.
Translation: general election polls mean nothing unless OBAMA is ahead.

Former MN Tax Payer

#17 Oct 8, 2012
Toidi Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: general election polls mean nothing unless OBAMA is ahead.
If the current trend continues, and Ryan makes Biden out for the fool he is, we will see a Slew of Democrats saying polls are meaningless.

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#18 Oct 8, 2012
Smart Liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
If the current trend continues, and Ryan makes Biden out for the fool he is, we will see a Slew of Democrats saying polls are meaningless.
That shouldn't be too tough considering some of the idiocy that has come from Biden recently.

Unfortunately, the sad fact is that it is not often that the incumbent loses.

And it's usually not because said incumbent is fabulous. Rather it's because voters have become disenchanted with the process, and disgusted by the dirty campaign tactics, and over exposed to the candidates who usually say nothing of substance during their campaigns.
CRASSUS

Green Bay, WI

#19 Oct 8, 2012
Right Wing Bigotry wrote:
<quoted text>
Who taught you how to be a hate filled bigot? I'm guessing you didn't have parents...
Katie Couric

Since: Jul 12

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Oct 8, 2012
CRASSUS wrote:
<quoted text>Katie Couric
Did you seriously not have parents?

Where ever they are, they must be completely ashamed of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump is a hero 5 min Tellitlikeitis 12
Third Term for Obama ? 7 min Blackgangsta 7
News Chemical-free swimming pool to open in North Mi... 15 min Tellitlikeitis 36
News South Minneapolis shooting leave 1 dead, 1 hosp... 24 min Tellitlikeitis 3
I'd Like To Thank You 40 min Tellitlikeitis 1
patriot mobile first bumper sticker 3 hr cowboy chris 8
News Kinky Boots National Tour Begins Run Tonight at... 3 hr cowboy chris 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages