Pioneer Press all-state football team

Pioneer Press all-state football team

There are 20 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 30, 2009, titled Pioneer Press all-state football team. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Pioneer Press player of the year. The two-time pick passed for 1,956 yards and 26 touchdowns.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Football Fan

Mankato, MN

#1 Dec 1, 2009
Wow. Cretin has 13 players listed on the all state team. Does the Pioneer Press know that there are other high school football teams in the state of Minnesota? Eastview has 0 all state players according to this paper. Cretin should be embarrassed that they only won the state quarterfinal game by 3 points with the unbelievable mismatch in talent.
Writer Should be Fired

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Dec 1, 2009
The Pioneer Press has always had a ridiculous bias toward Cretin. How many Cretin alums are on the sports staff? Does the newspaper donate money from newspaper sales and advertising to the school? Did the Cretin coaching staff select the team? Having 13 all state players from the same school listed is pretty much the same as taking out a full page ad to attend Cretin.
I've been a Minnesota high school sports fan for almost 30 years and this is the most biased and humorous all state team I've ever seen. The entire sports staff for the paper should be embarrassed.
FB stranger

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Dec 1, 2009
Half of Cretin's starting Defense is listed except the middle linebacker - who is the defensive leader on a football team and he traded off with one of the other linebackers who made the list in leading the team on tackles all season. hmmmm.
Football Mom

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 1, 2009
What about Hill-Murray? They had two kids on the honorable mention team with a record of 4-7. Their running back was injured part of the season and he still got on the team. A little bit of favortism? What about South St. Paul? They turned their season around this year and finished 7-4. Only one player got on the HM team. They finished 2nd in the conference to St. Thomas in rushing this year. No honors were given to their offensive lineman or any of their other offensive players for their great year.
Shari

Louisville, KY

#5 Dec 1, 2009
What a joke!!! Lamonte Edwards over Jesse George from Stillwater. Jesse George was the leading scorer in the conference, lead the conference in all-purpose yards, touchdowns and was the scoring leader. He was number one in return yardage, return average and number two in receptions. I do believe Stillwater won the conference, including beating Woodbury. Jesse was also named Suburban East Conference player of the year, which the over rated Lamonte Edwards plays in. I am pretty sure he was burned for a touchdown by Jesse George during the Woodbury game. You should probably do your homework before naming your all state team.........
Football Fan

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Dec 1, 2009
Is It No wonder that Cretin got all the accolades. Both the Star Tribune and the Pioneer press suck up to both Cretin and Eden Prarie. I agree with the football Mom about So.St.Paul. here was a team that had a total of 5 wins over 3 yrs and this year they post a 7-4 record and play for the section championship. only 1 player gets recognized. They ran for over 2000 yds and not 1 offensive lineman good enough Like Lex Boelter a behemouth at 6'5" 316#,. but hey, Let's make sure Hill Murray gets some on there. And how about Dan Freund. The kid led St. Thomas in rushing he shoulda made the 1st team easily. The paper should call itself what it really is. The East St. Paul pioneer press. My subscription will not be renewed
Shameful

Rosemount, MN

#7 Dec 1, 2009
Shame, Shame....... Coaches can make or break kids futures. Julian Hart of Saint Bernards had 1000 yards or more on the season scored a touchdown or more in every game and the coaching staff never entered the stats on the sites. This kid is a D1 caliber performer with good grades and comes from a good family. I think his father played for a D1. You will see him on the next level and will think why didnt i hear about this kid. Shame shame HONORABLE MENTION! High School Football in Minnesota has become a joke!!!!
All State Team - Ha Ha Ha

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Dec 1, 2009
This "All State" team is so far away from the best 180 players in the state. This "All State" team is made up of every good player from public and private schools in St. Paul sprinkled with some great players from a few schools (but not every school) from the rest of the state.
This list is skewed toward schools in the St. Paul City Conference (5 from Highland Park and 3 from Harding) and even more heavily skewed toward private Catholic schools around St. Paul (13 from Cretin-Derham Hall, 5 from St. Thomas Academy, 4 from St. Bernard’s, 3 from Minnehaha Academy, 3 from Concordia Academy in Roseville, 2 from St. Paul Academy, 2 from Hill-Murray, etc.).
You also might want to check the reporter’s affiliation with Lakeville (7 from Lakeville South and 3 from Lakeville North).
Every year the Pioneer Press All State Football Team is a joke, but this is the worst it’s ever been. Who is responsible for compiling this list? What is their process? Do they even contact coaches outside of St. Paul? Is anyone on the Pioneer Press staff disturbed by the lazy, sloppy, and biased journalism of whoever made this "All State" team?
Fansgame

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Dec 1, 2009
This has to be the biggest con job the Press has done for a long time. please do us all a favor and let the fans know how many of your editors kids go to Cretin so we can at least laugh along with you. alot of these letter writers are hitting it on the head. favoritism. I watched teams Like St. Thomas, and Sibley, and yes So.St.Paul( the boys name is Alex Boelter btw) it was a great year for the Classic Suburban, but nope, It was a Cretin or nothing. Thanks for Nothing Pioneer Joke.
Jack Hammer

Eden Prairie, MN

#10 Dec 1, 2009
Writer Should be Fired wrote:
I've been a Minnesota high school sports fan for almost 30 years and this is the most biased and humorous all state team I've ever seen. The entire sports staff for the paper should be embarrassed.
Yeah, but they should be fired for more than just this year's all-state team.
Gods Country

Lakeville, MN

#11 Dec 1, 2009
The 3 players for Lakeville North high school were more than deserving of their awards. This team has competed in the section championship the last 3 years and won it two of those 3. They finished 2nd in the best conference in the state to Eden Prairie. Dajon Newell lead the conference in rushing as a junior and lead the metro area as a senior. 600 carries, 1 fumble, 1800 yards. He is a flat out stud. Hopefully none of the athletes on this list read these comments and have to hear how much they don't deserve to be on it. As far as there college careers are concerned. D1 schools know how to find good players. I think it is sad that anyone would think wait for the all-state selection to come out in the paper to decide who to recruit. You can tell if an athlete is good or not by watching 10 minutes of game film. Congrats to the guys on the list.
Greg Frandsen

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Dec 1, 2009
Truly embarrassing that more than half of one team could be named either all state or all state honorable mentioned, how did they ever lose a game or even have a close game, I'm sure they are all good players but..... according to this paper they have to be the most talented team in MN football history, I know their coach even stated in his post game interview this wasn't the best team he has brought to the state. I feel terrible for the players from Eastview for completely being snubbed after nearly eliminating Cretin. Did anyone notice what a great season Totino-Grace had with only 1 player named to the all state team and 1 player named all state honorable mentioned. If coach Ferguson from Grace isn't named coach of the year, it will truly be sad, his team dominated the state tournament with such little percieved talent, he has to be the best coach in the state to be able to do so much with so little.
Interesting

Stillwater, MN

#13 Dec 1, 2009
Does anybody know how many Cretin-Derham Hall players were even all-conference or all-conference honorable mention? I would be surprised if they even had 13 kids combined for those honors and yet an all-state team features 13 of them. Interesting indeed. All the Pioneer Press has done is diminish this alleged honor for those who truly deserve it.
Woah

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Dec 1, 2009
13 players may be too much from CDH but who shouldn't be on there. Their 4 wide receivers are some of the best in the state and their defense just shut down EP. The comment about how strong the classic suburban was completely false. That entire conference was not strong besides STA and Mahtomedi. I do agree about the Stillwater running back though, he was really good when i saw him.
FootballFan2010

Plymouth, MN

#15 Dec 2, 2009
Have they even heard of Tobi Okuyemi? The only defense end with D1 offers? What are they on? they need to fired. This is ridiculous. He had 8 division 1 offers. I will list them: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Mich State, Michigan, Kansas, Kentucky, Vandy, and Nebraska (which he has committed to). why on earth is he only an honorable mention? tell me one defense end who is better thean him
Disturbing

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Dec 2, 2009
This rags past selections for their all state team have always been ridiculous. The idiots who select this team have always been incredibly biased towards St. Paul schools like cretin. One of the writers must also like EP. They continue with this years selections that once again prove how absent they are of any true HS football knowledge. I don't know why they even try anymore. Maybe they should simply stick to St. Paul football and name an all-St. Paul team. Broadening it to all State just shows how silly and worthless their writers knowledge really is. They turn it into a mockery. Nothing against the kids who made their team, but most are not worthy of an "all-state" selection, and everyone knows it.
Really really really

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Dec 3, 2009
FootballFan2010 wrote:
Have they even heard of Tobi Okuyemi? The only defense end with D1 offers? What are they on? they need to fired. This is ridiculous. He had 8 division 1 offers. I will list them: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Mich State, Michigan, Kansas, Kentucky, Vandy, and Nebraska (which he has committed to). why on earth is he only an honorable mention? tell me one defense end who is better thean him
Just because someone has D! offers does NOT mean they are worthy of all state accolades. Okuyemi was good, but not even close to worthy of that consideration. Same goes for Lamonte Edwards.
GopherGuru

Maple Grove, MN

#18 Dec 3, 2009
Really really really wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because someone has D! offers does NOT mean they are worthy of all state accolades. Okuyemi was good, but not even close to worthy of that consideration. Same goes for Lamonte Edwards.
Now you have lost it. Do you think college coaches are blind or something? if he was just "good" he would not have those offers. College coaches know talent and skill when they see it. His numbers may have not been high but that was simply because of the double teams and sometimes even triple teams he faced. I've talked to several coaches who have had to scheme around him simply because there was no way one man could block him. I am not a supporter of Wayzata by any means but come on now. Thats where i have to draw the line. What other true DE should have received it? because on this list i do not see a player that is just a defensive end.
Adam

Blue Bell, PA

#19 Dec 4, 2009
Now I understand how CRETIN keeps all those athletes in the weight room!
AP All State Comparison

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Dec 4, 2009
The 2009 Minnesota Associated Press All-State high school football team was voted on by a statewide panel of sportswriters and broadcasters (and not by parents from St. Paul public and private schools who work for the Pioneer Press). The number of players selected for each team is about the same, so the numbers for each school should be similar.

Pioneer Press All State:
13 from Cretin-Derham Hall
5 from St. Thomas Academy
4 from St. Bernard
3 from Minnehaha Academy
3 from Concordia Academy in Roseville
2 from St. Paul Academy
2 from Hill-Murray
8 from St. Paul City Conference vs. 2 from Minneapolis City Conference
7 from Lakeville South
0 from Eastview

AP All State Team:
5 from Cretin-Derham Hall
3 from St. Thomas Academy
0 from St. Bernard
1 from Minnehaha Academy
1 from Concordia Academy in Roseville
2 from St. Paul Academy
0 from Hill-Murray
1 from St. Paul City Conference vs. 4 from Minneapolis City Conference
1 from Lakeville South
2 from Eastview

Please create a system of accountability for your "All State" team next year or call it an "All St. Paul" team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minneapolis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Somali brutaliy beats Woman 2 hr Anonyme 86
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 6 hr Mothra 37,127
Liberals are trying to destroy america 7 hr silly rabbit laug... 51
Trump Derangement Syndrome TDS 10 hr silly rabbit laug... 33
Bye bye Betsy...Bye bye Betsy 17 hr cowboy chris 12
News Mohamed Noor, Somali American cop who allegedly... 19 hr Rattlesnake Pete 70
I love waking up to a Trump presidency Sun Defeat Elizabeth ... 20

Minneapolis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minneapolis Mortgages