Wolters AFB 1953/54 SCARWAF UNITS

Posted in the Mineral Wells Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Leo A

AOL

#1 Jul 26, 2006
Anyone out there who was at the base during those years? Our outfit 1901st went to Saglak Bay Labrador. People in Mineral Wells really great to us. Have been back twice. A lot less people. Any comments?
Marion Alexich

AOL

#2 Dec 25, 2006
I was in 1901st at Wolters. All but a few barracks had been sold off. Went to Saglek, returned to Wolters for discharge Feb. 54
Clifford Schumacher

Sleepy Eye, MN

#3 Jan 14, 2007
I was in the 1902 EAB at Wolters Sept to Dec 1953 after being with the 802 EAB in Korea discharged Dec, 19 , 1953
Patrick F Rishor

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Jan 15, 2007
The whole unit came back from Korea in Jan 55 190third later changed to 855 discharged there in Sep 1956
Patrick F Rishor

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Jan 15, 2007
Helped build all the helicopter there,Company Cdr Cpt york
Wayne Biessman

United States

#6 Apr 17, 2007
Leo A wrote:
Anyone out there who was at the base during those years? Our outfit 1901st went to Saglak Bay Labrador. People in Mineral Wells really great to us. Have been back twice. A lot less people. Any comments?
Was in the 826th as a construction draftsman, At Wolters from June of 53 until April of 55. Our Bn went to NW territory Canada for the construction season of 1954. I went with the main party to Frobisher Bay on Baffin Island to exend the runway. The other part of the BN went to Labrador, maybe Saglak? The transports to take us home were scheduled to take us home in late Sept but didn't come for us until near Thanksgiving. THe artic winter can be cold when your sleeping in tents and have not been issued artic clothing. I'm sure Wolters has been closed down by now.
allen kent

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#7 Jul 9, 2007
allen kent i came back from korea i dont rember unit i was with but spent most of my time at walters about oneyear and half but the unit was going to build air a airstrip in newfinlind and i was being discharged soon so thay transferd me to the 1901st i was discharged 1955
Nathan Winstead

Kissimmee, FL

#8 Sep 8, 2007
I was in SCARWAF for many years, starting at Ladd AFB, Fairbanks, AK, Orlando AFB, FL, and then Wolters AFB, TX. The first time at Wolters I was assigned to the 359th EA Supply Point Co, which was sent to France Dec '52. On my return to Wolters in '56, I was assigned to B Co 864th EABn which later was renamed Gen Const Co 864th Engr Bn (HV CONST)(AF SPT) when the Aviation Engineers as we knew it was returned to Army control. There was talk at that time to make Wolters a helicopter training base, but I don't know if it ever was. Wolters is gone now, along with Orlando AFB and possibly Beale AFB, CA, the three main bases for the Aviation Engineers in the US (other than TDY) at that time. Can anyone from Wolters remember how dusty the area was during windy conditions?
preston yawn

Colquitt, GA

#9 Oct 26, 2007
i was stationed at the goose and we flew all of the site support missions in and out of saglak in 1958-59 mail food movies liquor etc.
Donald Joseph Williams

United States

#10 Jan 2, 2008
I was at Wolters in the spring of 1952,and seconded to Kelly to be discharged in the spring of 1953. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Dave Archer

Platteville, WI

#11 Mar 7, 2008
I have an old trunk and on it says : Capt. George J. Sells, Trans. Off USAF/Scarwaf, 498th eng. avn brig., Wolters AFB, Tex. Can anyone tell me anything about it? My email is darcher@dover-philafcu.org. Thanks in advance. Dave
Fred Hardy

AOL

#12 Apr 7, 2008
I was in Co.B of the 1901st.in 1955 and went TDY to Casablanca North Africa.We stayed in Dallas huts somewhere across the highway from Nouassour AF Base.When we left for the flight back to Texas(C-54's)there was a bad storm off the coast of Africa,got pretty rough.First time I ever got sick flying.I also was srved with H+S Co.of the 1902nd.
frank catron

Union, SC

#13 Sep 7, 2008
I was in kunsan in 1954 I wa in th 841 eab 4642
Leo A

Schnecksville, PA

#14 Dec 4, 2008
Marion Alexich wrote:
I was in 1901st at Wolters. All but a few barracks had been sold off. Went to Saglek, returned to Wolters for discharge Feb. 54
Alex--I was with you at Wolters and Saglak Bay. Took me 2 years to respond. Sorry- there were problems so I did not see your message.
We all thought you were"cool" guy beore cool was in. I remember you were the only one with a mustache and a crimped hat. Also you could recite POGO after reading it. I was one of the demo guys at Saglak and operated the Compressor. Hope you see this. E-mail to Leoachester9 @aol.com. Stay COOL.
GEORGE PAPPAS

Elgin, IL

#15 Jan 14, 2009
Leo A wrote:
I arrived at Wolters in Feb 54 from Ft LW where I was trained as a heavy equipment operator. I was assigned to the 826th EA Bn. Since I had worked at the Army Finance Center in Indy, they made me the Bn Finance Clerk...never touched a bull dozer again. We were called to go to McDill AFB to work on the runways. We prepared for several months to go. All our equipment was put on rail cars which streched through the entire base. A few days before the date to leave, it was scrubbed. Soon after the Army took over the base from the AF. I was discharged in Sep 56.

I dated Joanne Boyle from Min Wells for a year until I left for Indy. She was a beautiful girl who had polio. I asked her to come to Indy, but she would not leave Tx...anyone know her?
Robert Mac Donald

Bremerton, WA

#16 Jan 20, 2009
I'm looking for Ricard Spurl. We were in the amry together in 1954,1955,1956. On Itazuke airforce base. If anyone knows of him Please contact me at my daughters e-mail address. kimberlymac29@yahoo.com
ROBERT CLARK

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Jan 20, 2009
I was assigned to scarwaf at Beale AFB in 1955 i was with the 823rd EAB.in the begining of 1966 our unit was transfered to Ernest harmon AFB in stephenville nfld.In november 1957 the battalion was transfered to ft.devens, mass.I was transfered to ft dix nj for discharge.I believe the 823rd wasthe last of the scarwaf units.
Robert Mac Donald

Bremerton, WA

#18 Jan 24, 2009
I was in Japan.On Itazuke 1954-56 in the 802th. Scarwaf unit. I am looking for any of my buddies from back then. I'm not sure what web sites are the best to find anyone. If anyone has any ideas about this I would be greatful to them.Please contact me at bobfaye60@yahoo.com.
KC Jones

Titusville, FL

#20 Jun 3, 2009
I was stationed at Beale AFB 888 th Engr Avn.Mtn Co, from June 1955 to May 1956..Was then tsfd.to Fort Bliss Tx...Back into the regular army.Sure missed Scarwaf and Marysville..
Leo McDonough

Schnecksville, PA

#21 Sep 14, 2009
Marion Alexich wrote:
I was in 1901st at Wolters. All but a few barracks had been sold off. Went to Saglek, returned to Wolters for dis
charge Feb. 54
Alex----See my other comment on this same site. It's been a while since I posted it but naybe you are still checking this --hope so. We knew each other well but 55 years softens the memories. Leo McDonough, Whitehall, Pa.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mineral Wells Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Jeremiah Richard Ruddy (Oct '17) Nov 12 CHRIS 21
Review: Heather Marie Miller Nov 12 HEATHER 7
Cool (May '18) Sep '18 Jorj 3
Poor Kids Aug '18 GodMyAss 1
News Bond Hearing in Murder Case: No change Wednesda... (Mar '09) Mar '18 Ramair4 8
Robin “bunny” Olivarez (Mar '18) Mar '18 Jewles 2
Millsap student threatens "shooting up the scho... (Jan '18) Feb '18 Concerned 3

Mineral Wells Jobs

Personal Finance

Mineral Wells Mortgages