Family escape RV fire-Music Director of Elk Creek Bap. Church+family
Posted in the Mineral Forum
#1 May 27, 2012
WILLIAMSBURG, Va.(WAVY)- The summer is off to a sad start for a family who narrowly escaped an RV fire Friday night.
Fire officials say a leaking propane tank ignited around 9 p.m. at the KOA site on Newman Road in Williamsburg.
"Once you've heard that sound, you know what it is," said Donna Fout, owner of the campground.
The sound of the explosion brought other campers outside to check on the family who chose the lot for Memorial Day weekend.
"We just heard the boom and ran around and saw this engulfed in flames," said Michael Frankenthaler, pointing at the RV.
"I ran around the camper and opened the door and yelled," said airman Jeffery Wagner, who dropped everything to help the family. "I told them 'Get out! Get out! Get out!' and the young girl came out screaming."
The rescuers say the 13 year old girl lay down on the grass outside the RV, and her grandfather and grandmother ran out and did the same.
"She was really in a lot of pain," said Wagner, as he described the grandmother's condition. "Her skin was already coming off and the grandfather was right next to her."
Good Samaritan Michael Frankenthaler also happens to be a critical care doctor. He said the family's faces were covered in second degree burns and their hands in third degree burns. He yelled to his son for wet towels for quick relief.
But, the family seemed more concerned with someone else.
"They were yelling 'Christopher, wheres Christopher?'" said Frankenthaler.
Rescuers found 11-year-old Christopher with similar injuries lying on a patch of grass farther up the hill. One of them struck up conversation to keep the boy from going into shock. They say Christopher told them he was from Mineral, Virginia. They chatted about last summer's earthquake until paramedics arrived.
"You do for somebody what you hope they would do for you, if you were in that situation," said Wagner.
Fout displayed a sign of gratitude at the campground entrance Saturday. It read 'Thank you to everyone who helped with our fellow campers' emergency Friday night. You are heros!'
"I just wanted to reach out and say thank you because they did such a great job," said Fout.
This was the family's first trip to this campground.
The fire department will not release updates on their conditions. At last check, all four had life threatening injuries
Add your comments below
|Three Arrested in Internet Crimes Against Child...||Jul '15||They should be as...||1|
|Review: Dunaway Appliance Service||May '15||customer||1|
|Lavon Chew Arrested In Connection with Security... (Apr '13)||May '15||villain survey||5|
|watty (Sep '12)||May '15||GAL||5|
|Daniel Luck/ Ashley Meredith||May '15||VALUABLE Information||2|
|Louisa Quake May Have Been Most Widely Felt In ... (Feb '15)||Apr '15||Beamer||4|
|Review: Fuller's Appliance (Mar '09)||Apr '15||Michael||18|
Find what you want!
Search Mineral Forum Now
Copyright © 2015 Topix LLC