Alan Jackson Concert Only Free for Mi...

Alan Jackson Concert Only Free for Mineral Residents - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sport...

There are 70 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Apr 3, 2012, titled Alan Jackson Concert Only Free for Mineral Residents - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sport.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The "free" Alan Jackson concert in Mineral isn't going to be quite as free as many people thought.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Lou Terry

Roanoke, VA

#61 Apr 4, 2012
What about the rest of the Louisa County residents? Doesn't seem fair!(I don't live in the county, by the way.)
Louisa Resident

Locust Grove, VA

#62 Apr 4, 2012
The original stipulation for this "free" concert was that it would be for between 1800 to 3000 persons. If you read the fine print for this contest...it said that. Alan Jackson is "donating" his talent and equipment to put on this concert for the winning community. It was always about trying to win the contest so that we could raise money for Earthquake relief. I live in Louisa, I voted numerous times for Mineral to win the contest, and I have no problem spending $42.50 for a ticket to see this concert. Even if I did get a free ticket to the show...I would donate it to one of the teachers in our schools...they are the ones who in my opinion should have gotten the free tickets....they saved lives that day of the earthquake...no kids in any of the schools (including the two that are now condemned as a result of the quake) were injured! BTW - I'm not a teacher..nor do I have children in the Louisa County School System...I cannot believe that all of this negativity comes out of such a wonderful opportunity. Also -$42.50 is not a bad price to see Alan Jackson...try to buy a ticket at the JPJ Arena sometime for any band and you'll pay twice that for obstructed view seats...
Get real folks....
HOPEFUL

Richmond, VA

#63 Apr 5, 2012
Where will residents of Mineral be able to get their tickets?
louisagirl

United States

#64 Apr 5, 2012
Again, I will repeat myself. The Mayor of Mineral, along with the 'concert' committee have been speaking with Capital Records and the promoters for sometime. There were several suggestions on how to distribute the 'free' tickets. Some suggestions were to give them to the homeowners who had the most damage according to FEMA, all Louisa COUNTY residents, etc. Ultimately the FINAL decision came from CAPITAL RECORDS. If you want to be pissed off at someone for misrepresentation than be pissed at Eventful and Capital Records. Don't punish the kids in the county by not coming because you're essentially not getting your way. It's show business. There is always extremely fine print that they are not clear about and they have the money and are losing A LOT of money for this. How much would a Alan Jackson ticket cost at a arena?

Do you really think Eventful or Capital thought a small town/county would win this contest? No, they were banking on a huge city with access to a venue to hold this concert. When Mineral won they had to hold true to the contest and go with the flow. There are additional costs. Like I said earlier, we don't have the means to hold a big concert so there will be costs associated with hosting it. Transportation to and from the concert, restrooms, security, etc.

Get over yourselves. Really. I live in Mineral. Not in the town, but I have a mineral zip code. Am I mad it's not free? Yes. Am I going to boycott the concert? No, because I may not have had substantial damage to my house but my children's school is ruined and now have to have their classes in trailers at a different school more than 45 minutes from our house. Oh and now they don't have a gymnasium to have PE in. So every little bit I can do to help rebuild those schools, I will.

I thought that the residents of Louisa had more class than this? Really. To take away from the excitement of a big named country music star coming to our SMALL COUNTY is just sad and petty. Grow up.
Very Upset

University Of Richmond, VA

#65 Apr 5, 2012
This is crazy, 42.50-100.00? The Mayor of Mineral could have stepped in. Saying that Capital Records made the decision to charge, if he was coming for free why did they get involved! I'm a Louisa resident and at 42.50 for a family of five is ridicules! My children were at school in the earthquake, just because they don't have a Mineral address they get nothing! We will not be going and not an Allan Jackson fan anymore, shame on him and capitol record and anyone how had a part in the decision making! All this is, is greed!
louisagirl

United States

#66 Apr 5, 2012
Very Upset wrote:
This is crazy, 42.50-100.00? The Mayor of Mineral could have stepped in. Saying that Capital Records made the decision to charge, if he was coming for free why did they get involved! I'm a Louisa resident and at 42.50 for a family of five is ridicules! My children were at school in the earthquake, just because they don't have a Mineral address they get nothing! We will not be going and not an Allan Jackson fan anymore, shame on him and capitol record and anyone how had a part in the decision making! All this is, is greed!
She did try to step in and Capital Records is his record label. They have final say. Either play by their rules or have him not come at all? There must be some compromise. HE is playing for free as a performer, but again, there are so many more costs associated with putting this on. Over $200,000. I bet you'd be complaining in the long run too if they didn't charge to help offset the costs and then it had to come out of your taxes. Seriously.
bullet47

Suffolk, VA

#67 Apr 5, 2012
It was never, never advertised as a benefit concert period!!!!!Free is Free in my book and I will boycott.
doh

Charlottesville, VA

#68 Apr 5, 2012
it's capitol :)
sorry, I just can't help myself
louisagirl

Aylett, VA

#69 Apr 5, 2012
doh wrote:
it's capitol :)
sorry, I just can't help myself

Since: Aug 10

Churchville, VA

#70 Apr 5, 2012
So.....let me get this straight.......you're going to boycott a concert where the proceeds are going directly back to the community..........way to stick it to Capitol Records????

*face palm*

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mineral Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Louisa County Alert Dog: Dog Trained to Help Di... (Oct '10) Nov 26 Knowsthisliar 50
Cassidy Mcadams. (Oct '10) Oct '16 county 5
Heath napier Sep '16 Whit 1
Up to $25,000 reward possible TERRYNEROSHOOTING... Aug '16 open for plea deals 1
boxing gym in Louisa Aug '16 Dewey Keeton 1
Cat Fraud Aug '16 Anonymous 1
Steve, Tina or Mike Smith (Feb '16) Apr '16 Curious 3

Mineral Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mineral Mortgages