Louisa County Declares Local State of Emergency

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Louisa County has declared a local state of emergency because of a wild fire. From Louisa County: LOUISA, VIRGINIA Louisa County has declared a local state of emergency because of a wild fire between Chopping Road and Zackary Taylor Highway .
Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Feb 21, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 19, 2011
 

Judged:

3

I hope the families that have been evacuated and are in the school shelter will have a home to go back to. This has to be a traumatic experience for the parents and their children to wait and not know whether you will lose everything you own. I hope they had time to gather their important papers, some clothing and family pictures which cannot be replaced, just in case. My empathy is with them.
jim2051

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 19, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Good luck to all people involved.Its hard to survive in todays world without this happening to you.Just pray to the Lord and hope he helps.Glad no people were hurt,especialy the children. I like to say children instead of kids. Kids sounds like you are talking about a goat herd.
Billie Jean

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 19, 2011
 

Judged:

6

5

4

Why can't anyone spell Zachary Taylor Highway right? There is no K!
Classymom

Troy, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 19, 2011
 

Judged:

4

3

3

There has also been reports of people throwing their smokes out car windows. If anyone see that please report the car tags. They have no consideration for the car behind them.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 19, 2011
 

Judged:

4

1

1

Billie Jean wrote:
Why can't anyone spell Zachary Taylor Highway right? There is no K!
It is so kind of you to add something worthwhile to the forum with the topic being about a state of emergency in Louisa County where many people have left their homes, because of a fire that is out of control.
Now I will say what I really think, "Billliee Jeeean", you are a thoughtless, petty, uncaring person who is critical about a minor spelling error and a "D*** K". Since no one can spell it correctly but you, you are also arrogant!
Why don't you try again and say something positive about these parents and children who are in a shelter waiting to see if they will have a home to go to!
jbpowva

Powhatan, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 19, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Amen Bengalandi! I have relatives all around in that area, and it gets me p.o.'d to no end that CERTAIN people (if you can call them that) would sit there and point out a stupid spelling mistake when there are families in Louisa having their lives upended this evening.

Got something better to do than to be the "spelling police"? Geesh... some people's kids...
ghettogirlz43

Warrenton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 19, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

1

my thoughts and prayers go out to my brother and his family who lost their home and everything in it and some vehicles today in mineral Va on Zachary Taylor Highway~ May god keep them covered as they try to rebuild thier lives once again~~ much love to my family~~~ ALJ
lisa jarrell

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 19, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

1

this is a sad time i live in mineral trailer park, it was a real scare to but im real glad that everyone is ok. thanks to all of the firefighters they have done a wonderful job.
NormanT

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

May all be safe as this situation continues.
Sparky

Ruckersville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Idiots tossing lit cigs and cigars out of cars & trucks can be seen on a regular basis each morning when traveling into Cville on US 29 from the north.
They probably think its funny to scare other drivers when the ball of sparks appear in the road.
Those dummies think only of themselves and don't consider or care about the results of their stupidity! I'll be more than glad to report them if something is actually done to punish them. Tell your smoking buddies to end that additional stupidity of being a smoker!
Turk

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Help if you can. Donate water and gatorade and bottled drinks like that. The FF are tired and thirsty and hungry.Stop at the local firehouse and drop it off.
tendyourgarden

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I was behind someone just yesterday, on Rio Rd., that threw a lit cigarette out his car window. I considered it a selfish act of littering at the time, but didn't consider the implications for fire, even though I've been hearing about the risk for a couple of weeks now (I guess the warnings first went out because people are starting spring cleanup around their yards?).

If people want to stink up themselves and devalue their car with cigarette smoke, they should put the butts in an ashtray and deal with it later or just eat them. I see beer cans in the ditches on my road which is just pure littering, but I guess they do that to destroy the evidence of knocking back a cold one while driving.
What a Joke

Cascade, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Sparky wrote:
Idiots tossing lit cigs and cigars out of cars & trucks can be seen on a regular basis each morning when traveling into Cville on US 29 from the north.
They probably think its funny to scare other drivers when the ball of sparks appear in the road.
Those dummies think only of themselves and don't consider or care about the results of their stupidity! I'll be more than glad to report them if something is actually done to punish them. Tell your smoking buddies to end that additional stupidity of being a smoker!
You must be ignorant to think people throw their cigarettes out the window to scare people. lol I don't smoke anymore, but if people want to smoke then let them do it. But yes, you obviously shouldn't throw your cig into a brush pile with a red flag warning...
Concerned resident

Cascade, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

You must be ignorant to think people throw their cigarettes out the window to scare people. lol I don't smoke anymore, but if people want to smoke then let them do it. But yes, you obviously shouldn't throw your cig into a brush pile with a red flag warning...

You're right, people don't throw their cigarettes out the window to scare other drivers, they do it because they're too frickin lazy to put them out in their own car ash tray,(last time I checked cars still DO come with ash trays don't they?) because they may actually have to clean it out once in awhile, so they would rather be inconsiderate of our environment and throw them out the window! If people want to enjoy their cancer sticks than by all means go ahead, just don't do it at the expense of others!
well

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Concerned resident wrote:
You're right, people don't throw their cigarettes out the window to scare other drivers, they do it because they're too frickin lazy to put them out in their own car ash tray,(last time I checked cars still DO come with ash trays don't they?) because they may actually have to clean it out once in awhile
actually....most do not...it comes from having to pacify people who got all butthurt about having to own a car that catered to smokers.
Same reason they call them power ports and not cig lighters.
Stop and think

Berryville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

actually....most do not...it comes from having to pacify people who got all butthurt about having to own a car that catered to smokers.
Same reason they call them power ports and not cig lighters.
Actually, they don't have to cater to them...it's up to the non-smoker NOT to buy the car if it's been smoked in. Not to mention that even if the BUTT is thrown out...the smell is still there.
Now can we get back to praising the fire deparments and caring about the people that live in these areas?
well

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Stop and think wrote:
actually....most do not...it comes from having to pacify people who got all butthurt about having to own a car that catered to smokers.
Same reason they call them power ports and not cig lighters.
Actually, they don't have to cater to them...it's up to the non-smoker NOT to buy the car if it's been smoked in. Not to mention that even if the BUTT is thrown out...the smell is still there.
Now can we get back to praising the fire deparments and caring about the people that live in these areas?
new cars come with that smoke smell already? good deal.

Past that, kudos to the responding departments in the Louisa area, they have been using my family pond the last 24hrs for a water supply, and they're welcome to every last drop(which is getting close at this point)
concerned Mom

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

My prayers go out to all those that had to leave their homes and to all those fighting these fires. Please be careful.
nelson

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Its funny I see people complaining about smokers and their butts, the complaints about taxes, another about the miss spelling of a road. Please what about all those families that live around this major fire, they are about to lose everything that they could possiably own. unless the fires are put out, then what is next smoke damage... We as fellow human beings should be concered about these people and there well being, sending out hopes and prayers that all will be okay. not bickering about petty things. Back at 911 everyone came together out of concern, love, empthy.... what happen to this... God knows that not one of these families touched by this would have asked for it....

Bless these families and fire crews be with them through this trying time..... pray that they are safe.

Please people

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Feb 20, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Volunteer Firefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
Until you get your but out there and face the heat, smoke, and danger and see the panic in the people that are being threatened by these fires and the damage that is caused by them you need to watch what you say and how you say it!!! A LITTLE FIRE!!! 1300+ acres is little??? I don't think so!!!! SO until you get the BALLS to face the beast You need to keep your smart little comments to yourself.... THANK YOU!! AND YES I WAS FACE TO FACE FIGHTING THAT FIRE!!
Very well said, Volunteer, and you can't be thanked enough for your bravery and hard work for helping fight this fire and the people who were threatened. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mineral Discussions

Search the Mineral Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Lake Anna is sprouting (Apr '10) 16 hr ABX 25
watty (Sep '12) Jul 18 Ricky 4
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 15 Billy Bob 2,548
Looking for Charles in Ferncliff (Jun '13) Jul 12 Vaor 6
More than 100 Hampton police officers want back... Jul 11 Doug 12
widow on the hill Jun '14 NotOneOfThem 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356
•••
•••
•••
•••

Mineral Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mineral People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Mineral News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mineral
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••