Tom

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2007

Taxpayers in Austintown are primarily a well-intentioned bunch. We didn't bat an eye when our school board agreed to pay $600,000 for artificial turf for the high school football field. Sure, I thought it was insane. I got over it. And now I need something.
A sizable area just east our new middle school is in escalating peril. My backyard abuts the federally funded Compass West Apartments and for years my wife and I maintained a section of chainlink fence which separates 24 townhouse units and the complex parking lot from our property. This winter took its toll on the fence and it has completely collapsed. All of the fenceposts rusted off their concrete foundations as a result of Compass West’s clogged storm sewage system which, like the fence, has not functioned properly for years.
While the fence is hideous, a bigger problem exists. Compass West caters mostly to young single mothers and with the warmer weather their children find fascinating this broken fence. The kids jump on the rusted, collapsed metal and some now venture over into neighboring yards, at times even using the fence as a ramp over which they jump their Big Wheels. After bringing this grave matter to the attention of the Federal Management Company, which oversees Compass West, its “Special Project Administrator” sent a surveyor to my home to assess the situation. She reports that despite the collapsing fence running the entire length of three sides of the complex property, the southernmost neighborhoods of South Edgehill Avenue and Forest Hill Drive as well as a northern field owned by the township, the portion of rusted fence that separates my property from the complex is on my land. As a result, Compass West claims any injuries suffered by its residents will be covered by my homeowner’s insurance. So, my good neighbors, if I am liable for injuries suffered by trespassers, and your collapsing backyard fences attach to mine, you will be held accountable too.
Meanwhile, the fence around Compass West’s heated swimming pool (for which taxpayers also pay) appears to be in reasonably good shape.
Recent crime at Compass West includes two murders, arson, kidnappings, weapons violations, drugs, burglaries and chronic domestic violence including a 9-year-old boy pinning and holding a steak knife to the chest of a 6-year-old girl (behavior picked up from somewhere, I imagine—maybe TV). Each week the police blotters feature arbitrary crime at the facility, such as last November’s report of three masked men robbing a Pizza Hut delivery driver, stealing $5 and her pizza bag. It seems only fair that neighboring homeowners whose taxes support public housing at Compass West be provided with an adequate barrier through far more reliable fencing.
I brought this matter to the attention of Austintown Township administration (who claims the matter is out of its jurisdiction), Mahoning County officials, Congressman Tim Ryan, Senator Sherrod Brown, and three HUD representatives in Cleveland. State Senator John Boccieri wrote back immediately claiming the plight is a federal matter. I also sent letters to HUD Secretary Alphonso Jackson and HUD’s Multifamily Housing Clearinghouse, the division which oversees bad landlords in federal housing. Hundreds of landlords have been fined and debarred from doing business with the federal government as a result of failing to provide safe and decent housing for the poor, while enriching themselves on taxpayer-funded subsidies.
Let’s make some noise.
Macy May

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2007

All I can say is WOW! If thats all someone is complaining about is a chain linked fence, obviously someone has too much time on their hands. I'm sure no child can ramp up a fence with a "big wheel"!... Nice try though. All I can do is laugh at this!!! Yeah maybe compess west had some rough times, but i'm sure your not perfect either. If this "fence" is such a problem to you then fix the stupid thing!! It's not hard. When reading you notified everyone AND their mother I was impressed you didnt' call upon the CIA! As far as I'm concerned... I think your a little judgemental. How could you comment on a place that you don't even live at? Unless you've had experience of living in lower class, then don't say anything about how people live. I'm still amazed someone is complaining this bad over a fence. Why don't you complain about something worth notifying EVERYONE about! The gas prices, or the pot holes. I can't believe I wasted my time replying to this stupid thing over a FENCE!!!!!!!
jada

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

Can you believe that man beat that baby to death
christine mcbride

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2010

My daughter and my grand daughter live in compass west. since she moved in her rent has been either 20 or 30 a month. this past week, because she get a whopping 200 assistance check and because she chooses to work part time they raised her rent there to 208 a month!! what is wrong with that picture? here she is trying to make a better life for her daughter, working part time and going to school they decide to raise her rent that much??? I bet the hundreds of others who live there get as much assistance as they can steal, never look for a job, and they probably live there for free!! i need to take this matter up somewhere, but where do i turn???????
topsecretcy

Salem, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

copass is dangerous thry got drugs weapons no need 2 be there
LaLaLa What

Elko, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2011

I am in the process of purchasing a small home for my 8-yr-old son and myself. We will be out of here sooner than the useless property manager can stuff another donut into her fat face. The crime here amazes me. Management does NOT care about smaller stuff, so it escalates, then turns into a bigger problem. Here's an idea: evict the weed dealers, the noisemakers *coughredneckscough*, and get VIDEO surveillance. A child was MURDERED here recently, and, yes, it was murder because she died as a result of the beatings. Boyfriend is in prison for life. Mom got a slap on the wrist. Both shouldve been fried in an electric chair. Some other resident was harboring a fugitive. apparently he was wanted for rape or something in another state I dont know the specifics I don't care to. The Austintown police are useless in regards to the Compass West drug issues. I am 100% on the side of the OP of this commentary. Don't blame him for not wanting to live near a bunch of fools and their equally stupid children. That's why we are out of here in a few weeks.
LaLaLa What

Elko, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2011

and to Christine McBride: don't act as if your daughter is better than everyone else because she went and got a job and goes to school. Been there done that and still do it. Agree with you partly though regarding the fact there probably ARE some lazy women here who live here for free or close to it. One of those tarts lives in my building. she should be in prison along with him. drug dealers.
LaLaLa What

Elko, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2011

HIM, meaning, her boyfriend...let's sell drugs all day and live off the government teet.
Diane

Niles, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2012

My family and I live on Forest Hill Dr, the front of our house faces Compass West. It seems to me that people turn their kids loose with no regard or respect for someone else's property. My neighbors across the street have repeatedly put the fence back up.. re-cemented only to have the kids tear it back down to use as a cut trough. After our big snow last night I found tracks in our yard and my snow shovel missing, the tracks led from my yard across the street, the fence once again pulled down and leading somewhere into compass west. You may say it's only a shovel, but it was my shovel, that was on my side porch. Parents, if you have respect for yourself..your children will learn from that. Then maybe they will respect other peoples property. I have seen many kids use our yard as a cut through over the years and I haven't said much. Not anymore! They actually walk through my yard like they own it, not so much as a please or thank you as you are sitting in your back yard enjoying the evening. I have children too but I have taught them respect. I also work for a living so maybe that makes a difference. Just because you don't care, don't teach your kids to do the same. Physically tearing down fences that someone has taking the time to fix is just complete disrespect. It's starts at home!
Dee2012

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2012

I have told the manager over and over about the drug dealers in 1010 #7,#3,&#2. Nit one thing has been dine about it. I am getting the owner in on this. The manager is something else. And I am calling HUD on her she thinks she can't be touched but HUD will do something about her. I called the police they do not do shit about it.
johns

Hubbard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2012

i recently sign a leas even though i don't like to live there but any how i learn during the process of signing a lease that on top of rent they are charging $20 per month for aircondition whether u use it or not. Isnot it ripping off. help me where i can complaint about it. property manager is rude and bad behavior. they treat you like shit and they think they renting you free but they get their full rent either way. any one can help me to to complaint about this rip off.
betterlife09

Clayton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2012

I live in the town houses out here and its terrible my neighbors are loud and ignorant its terrible management is shitty and they don't care all they want is the government money I'm currently looking for a better job to move out of here because the crime is growing and the kids out here are disrespectful something needs to change I filed numerous complaints but nothin haves changed
yours truly

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

You no what, compass west is screwed up, the manager kathy has slept with the maintance guys, 2 of them, the head maintance man trys and sleep with all the females in the complex, they dont wanna fix nothin, they are cheating the goverment out of money, and how do expect 2 get out of there, if u get a raise at your job, compass west wants it, you cant ahead 2 get out of this place, drugs are everywhere in here, they aint doin shit about it, not very good background checks i would say, the manager is a very nosey person so doont speak 2 her cause she will tell on you but its ok when she gets away with things, pure bullsh*t! this place really needs 2 be shut down, and the goverment needs 2 take a very extensive investigation with that place!
Interested

Hebron, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Can someone give me the name of the owners of the property?
Juice box

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

U ppl cry about to much shit
Juice box

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

topsecretcy wrote:
copass is dangerous thry got drugs weapons no need 2 be there
. The world has drugs and weapons do u have a weapon in ur place I bet u do so it makes it a bad home I bet u have kids that go in to compass that do drugs hell I bet I sold them it I'm not even from there but I know lot of ppl in there it's not half as bad u ppl cry about ya some bad shit as happend in there but it was not cuz of weapons or drugs be for u talk shit get it right ppl
The dope man

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Dee2012 wrote:
I have told the manager over and over about the drug dealers in 1010 #7,#3,&#2. Nit one thing has been dine about it. I am getting the owner in on this. The manager is something else. And I am calling HUD on her she thinks she can't be touched but HUD will do something about her. I called the police they do not do shit about it.
the managers try to do shit about it but u have gave the wrong numbers to who u think sells drugs in there the places u named in 1010 u have called they police about this and they did nothing there is something new bitch about ur cops that don't do shit it's not they managers problem to watch ppl for drugs it's ur cops that u said u have called and not did shit about it stop ur cry about shit u don't know
Lil Mac

Girard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

christine mcbride wrote:
My daughter and my grand daughter live in compass west. since she moved in her rent has been either 20 or 30 a month. this past week, because she get a whopping 200 assistance check and because she chooses to work part time they raised her rent there to 208 a month!! what is wrong with that picture? here she is trying to make a better life for her daughter, working part time and going to school they decide to raise her rent that much??? I bet the hundreds of others who live there get as much assistance as they can steal, never look for a job, and they probably live there for free!! i need to take this matter up somewhere, but where do i turn???????
Everyone things the management company raises the rent so they can make more money. If you understand the Low Income Housing rent calculations for income. Some people have Zero income. SOme get Welfare, Some work. Either way your rent is based on 30% of the Gross income.Everyone has a Social Security Number. Your income is reported which lets the Propery Managers use The HUD EIV System to let them know they have income that needs to be added into determining your new rent. Just remember your rent is based on 30 % of your total income. adults living in the apartment. The number of dependents living in apartment.
ghetto of austintown

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Interested wrote:
Can someone give me the name of the owners of the property?
Jim Manchi
unknow

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2013

this place is the worst

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of27
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Mineral Ridge Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mineral Ridge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••