DUI Defendant Drinks 12-Pack at Court -

DUI Defendant Drinks 12-Pack at Court -

There are 47 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 17, 2007, titled DUI Defendant Drinks 12-Pack at Court -. In it, Newsday reports that:

A man who was out on bail following a drunken driving arrest is back behind bars after he was caught drinking a 12-pack of beer on the Douglas County Courthouse lawn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
What is that all about

North Brunswick, NJ

#1 Oct 17, 2007
That God! For once a sensible judge!
longbeach

Elmhurst, NY

#2 Oct 17, 2007
Is it illegal to drink beers on the courthouse lawn? If so, just sounds like a violation.

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#5 Oct 17, 2007
lightweight.
Olivia NY

United States

#6 Oct 17, 2007
.8 BAC in Nevada huh? Sounds like they'd be clinically dead.(.08 is correct)
Perhaps this paper needs a new proofreader/editor. I'm available!
Jerry

New York, NY

#7 Oct 17, 2007
Deport the piece of crap immediately if that isn't blatant in your face America!!
a drunk

Fairfield, CT

#8 Oct 17, 2007
"The legal limit in Nevada is 0.8. "

Nevada has a 0.8 % blood/alcohol level...Yee Haa!
Well Done

Pleasantville, NY

#9 Oct 17, 2007
Drinking and Driving is no good, but drinking a 12 pack on the courthouse lawn, takes some marbles!
Surprised it wasnt tequila

Since: May 07

Earth

#10 Oct 17, 2007
I have always disapproved of this DUI nonsense, as it is an arbitrarily enforced law. I see more dangerous people on cellphones.

.08 is an arbitrary level, as humans have different tolerances, weights and
matabolisms.

To prosecute people for something they might do is just wrong.

I bet 90% of people driving after 2am on a Friday or Saturday are over .08, which of course would make this an arbitrary enforceable law.

However to have such a charge, and to be stupid enough to be knocking back a 12 pack with Glorified Mall Security Guards with a heightened sense of entitlement coming and going, is just plain dumb.

I wonder if this could be an illegal interloper? If so, why is he not being deported?

:o
Sadder Butwiser

Tampa, FL

#13 Oct 17, 2007
He should get extra time if we was drinking an import instead of good ole' American brew. We have jobs to protect here, you know.
FED UP

Boynton Beach, FL

#14 Oct 17, 2007
I G.W. might be looking for a new driver. I would Recommend this guy...
I believe that he will have some free time coming up.
KTE

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Oct 17, 2007
Inside your article, you stated that the defedants blood and alchol level was .104 and legal limit was .8. I think there is a miss print in your article, or the officer made a mistake. If the limit is .8 then the defendants level had to be .9 or higher. Maybe you ment 1.04.
JOHN

River Forest, IL

#16 Oct 17, 2007
"Ruiz was arrested in January shortly after his 21st birthday following an accident in which he, his passenger and the other driver were injured. He allegedly was driving 70 miles an hour down the twisting mountain road with a blood alcohol content of .104. The legal limit in Nevada is 0.8."

Unless Nevada is one of the greatest havens for drunk drivers, I think you have a misprint. The legal limit in Nevada should probably be 0.08 don't you think?
Leigh

New York, NY

#17 Oct 17, 2007
It's a misprint people. Get over it. We all know the correct legal limit is .08. Nothing else better to do??
BiBi Upstate Ukie

Albany, NY

#18 Oct 17, 2007
Imported or domestic? LOL, what a loser; hope he hasn't spread his gene pool yet!

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Bell, CA

#19 Oct 17, 2007
What a dumb arse!

MINDEN, Nev.- A man who was out on bail following a drunken driving arrest is back behind bars after he was caught drinking a 12-pack of beer on the Douglas County Courthouse lawn. Martin Ruiz asked the judge to release him on his own recognizance, promising not to drink another beer or drive.

But Judge Michael Gibbons set his bail at $100,000 on Monday, saying he was surprised Ruiz was released on recognizance the first time..."
Tony

Miami, FL

#20 Oct 17, 2007
".08 is an arbitrary level, as humans have different tolerances, weights and matabolisms."

Duh, your weight and metabolism will just affect you how much you have to drink to get to 0.08
Every person regardless will act pretty much the same at 0.08 and that is pretty much drunk.

If you drive 20mph the 1/2mile to get from the bar your house, I guess it's not a big deal.
But driving down I-95 being that drunk puts everyone in danger.
oh come on

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#21 Oct 17, 2007
it would take a 12 pack to get me to drive on a twisted mountain road

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#22 Oct 17, 2007
I'm not impressed. If it was a 30 pack then I would be impressed.
not true

Lincoln, IL

#23 Oct 17, 2007
Tony wrote:
Every person regardless will act pretty much the same at 0.08 and that is pretty much drunk.
actually, that is not true... ever heard of building up a tolerance? while i doubt anyone with .08 bac would be able to react exactly that of someone sober, i'm sure many people can have a bac of .08 and react equally well to someone on a cell phone or someone who is tired.(which i believe was the original poster's point)

Since: Sep 07

South Salem, NY

#24 Oct 17, 2007
Olivia NY wrote:
.8 BAC in Nevada huh? Sounds like they'd be clinically dead.(.08 is correct)
Perhaps this paper needs a new proofreader/editor. I'm available!
I think you mean .08, not .8!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lorraine marie lockwood was a set team informant (Jun '16) Jan 16 Report 4
Carson City Music Forum (Feb '13) Dec '17 dreamboat annie 15
Trump in Drag Pix Stolen Sep '17 Gov Prg Release77C 1
no more keno at lake tahoe? Aug '17 Mike H 1
News O.J. Simpson up for parole nine years into sent... (Jun '17) Jul '17 Kato 59
Excitedmilk100000000 (Jun '17) Jun '17 Rome lol 1
Misty Dee, Ex Douglas Couny Deputy. Gardnervill... (Apr '08) Jun '17 Friend in Gardner... 21

Minden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minden Mortgages