Crews Invstigate New Fossett Leads

Crews Invstigate New Fossett Leads

There are 10 comments on the News10 Sacramento story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Crews Invstigate New Fossett Leads. In it, News10 Sacramento reports that:

Rescue crews searching for Steve Fossett are following up late Wednesday on a pair of leads 100 miles apart.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News10 Sacramento.

Another Pilot

Australia

#1 Sep 12, 2007
What took the rescuers so long to follow up these significant leads? I would think that these leads should have been followed up as soon as they were received. Not very clever.
reader in Waterloo IA

United States

#2 Sep 12, 2007
He was searching for a place to set a speed record in a rocket powered car. Bonneville Salt Flats must be too short. What stretch of desert within 300 miles of Hilton's airstrip/ranch is very flat for a distance longer than Boneville's salt lake? Look there.
NewsHound

United States

#3 Sep 12, 2007
reader in Waterloo IA wrote:
He was searching for a place to set a speed record in a rocket powered car. Bonneville Salt Flats must be too short. What stretch of desert within 300 miles of Hilton's airstrip/ranch is very flat for a distance longer than Boneville's salt lake? Look there.
It's now believed that he was just out on a local pleasure flight. He'd already submitted an application to the BLM for a permit to attempt the record in Eureka County. Apparently he planned to conduct a test later this month at Bonneville.
SierraFox

AOL

#4 Sep 12, 2007
Personally, I think it would be better if he were never found, since he is probably no longer alive. Then, he would be even more of a legend-like Amelia Earhart.
SierraFox

AOL

#5 Sep 12, 2007
The flats where it would have been long enough are called the Diamond Valley Playa northeast of Eureka, which is where he intended to perform the LSR.
No One

Reno, NV

#6 Sep 13, 2007
The reason the Sonora Pass tip was not found out until yesterday is because the "camper" did not put 2 and 2 together and call until yesterday.

And I have also heard that he was NOT out looking for dry lakebeds but that the media is skewing the story up badly.
Mike H

Rancho Cordova, CA

#7 Sep 13, 2007
yeah im sure hes dead otherwise he would have made contact with someone if he was safe...or hes lying on the ground hurt...or hes perfectly fine, had a crash landing and had enough gear, food, etc... to last as long as possible....who knows, strange mystery
Richard Long

Vancouver, Canada

#8 Sep 14, 2007
Take a look at the Google search area, latest download.

38 53 35N 119 04 25W

There is a large aircraft, Boeing 737 / 757 ?
Crash has not been reported as far as I know.

Near it is a new burnt area, could be a possible crash site for Steve Fossett.

Anyone flying over this large plane would slow down and take a closer look, there is always a danger of stalling at a low level when you are distracted and looking out the window at something on the ground.

I have passed this information to The Civil Air Patrol, they don,t even bother to acknowledge or say that it is not the crash site.
buzzard

United States

#9 Sep 14, 2007
they should, possably he would crash by another crash to make him easier to find?
WTF

El Dorado Hills, CA

#10 Sep 14, 2007
If He wasn't Rich

They Would Have Stopped

looking for him 2 weeks ago

What is this costing the tax payers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Minden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Answer a question with a question Mon Cookie_Parker 2
word association Mon Cookie_Parker 2
News Military mom booed at Pence rally over Captain ... Aug 5 okimar 32
News The R-C Morning Report for Jan. 20 (Jan '16) Jan '16 Tom 1
franklin armory ar-15 jams every shot (Feb '15) Apr '15 OOPOPS 2
News Memorial service set for Gardnerville infant (Jan '15) Jan '15 jackson_browne 1
Misty Dee, Ex Douglas Couny Deputy. Gardnervill... (Apr '08) Dec '14 Debbie 20

Minden Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Minden Mortgages