Alcohol: Drug of choice for pregnant women

Alcohol remains the drug of choice for pregnant women in Luna County who have been screened under a program aimed at protecting those women and their unborn children. Full Story
remotecontrol

Swanton, OH

#1 Jun 3, 2011
Wonder how scientific this screening was? Are these results from testing or merely from interviews or questionnairs? People do tend to lie on interviews that might reveal unsavory results.
Its True

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jun 3, 2011
I work in the retail business selling alcohol, and you would be surprised how many pregnant women drink here in Deming. We know they drink because because they come in on a daily basis, and sometimes they wreak of alcohol.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do as a retailer to stop these women from drinking while they are pregnant. The minute you refuse to serve them they will cry discrimination and you could be looking at a possible lawsuit. Sure, as retailers we have the right to refuse service to anyone, but there is no law on the books that says it is illegal for a pregnant woman to buy and consume alcohol. But on the other hand if they come in with the slightest amount of alcohol smell on their breath we immediately refuse the sale on grounds we believe they have already consumed alcoholic beverages. And let me tell you they get pissed when you refuse them.
remotecontrol

Swanton, OH

#3 Jun 3, 2011
I have no doubt that pregnant women are drinking alcohol. I'm just a "Doubting Thomas" when it comes to quantifing things that might go on behind closed doors.

Unfortunately, alcohol is more widely accepted by society and will likely not get even a lifted eyebrow unless it results in a poor outcome of some kind.

All that "weed" that's being toted across the border in being used by someone. There is no accurate way of even knowing how much "weed" is available for consumption. On the other hand we know exactly how many ounces of alcohol are produced and availabe for consumption.

I only doubt the accuracy of the study, that's all
Someone who

Stockton, CA

#4 Jun 3, 2011
This is from someone who was pregnant back in the middle 1970's...WHAT THE "HELL"O IS WRONG WITH BOTH THE DOCTORS AND "WOMEN" OF DEMING????? Even "back in the dark ages" when I was pregrant my doctor told me right after she told me I was definately pregnant that if I didn't STOP smoking IMMEDIATELY I could get a new doctor! She would not tolerate any woman poisoning their child. In her eyes life started at conception. So, I didn't smoke, drink alcohol or eat anything that might harm my unborn child. It was only 9 months of my life that I was celibate but it turn out to be the very best thing I could have done for my now beautiful woman/child.

Today, my child is a 36 year old very healthy woman who put herself through college, achieved obtaining a Master's Degree in Psychology, is a practicing Psychologist helping kids with drug problems and has a child of her own.

If only first the doctors of Deming would do as my doctor did and then the pregnant women of Deming would do as I did - after all it is only 9 months out of your life - this community would be much better off.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#5 Jun 5, 2011
Its True wrote:
I work in the retail business selling alcohol, and you would be surprised how many pregnant women drink here in Deming. We know they drink because because they come in on a daily basis, and sometimes they wreak of alcohol.
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do as a retailer to stop these women from drinking while they are pregnant. The minute you refuse to serve them they will cry discrimination and you could be looking at a possible lawsuit. Sure, as retailers we have the right to refuse service to anyone, but there is no law on the books that says it is illegal for a pregnant woman to buy and consume alcohol. But on the other hand if they come in with the slightest amount of alcohol smell on their breath we immediately refuse the sale on grounds we believe they have already consumed alcoholic beverages. And let me tell you they get pissed when you refuse them.
Oh, yes there are too laws, my friend. Democrats be damned, you may INDEED do something kind to an unborn child. Break the chain of events that damage the most innocent of lives: a developing human being. Since when is being called a 'racist' so flippin' traumatic? I'm sick and tired of Americans who were brought up right but fold up and whine 'mercy' when the RACE card is pulled. Quit appologizing for being right, Anglo Saxon America!
Tommy Rot

United States

#6 Jun 6, 2011
Alcohol is the 'drug of choice' of the USA and most of the world. America's love of boozing is another reason that the hokey 'war on drugs' has failed. The hypocrisy of condoning and promoting one killer drug over the rest, hasn't been overlooked by our youth. Concerning pregnant women in bars, could be they're looking for the father of the child and can't remember where the hook up occured. Thirsty work, carrying a one night stand.
Its True

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jun 6, 2011
Bellcrank wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yes there are too laws, my friend. Democrats be damned, you may INDEED do something kind to an unborn child. Break the chain of events that damage the most innocent of lives: a developing human being. Since when is being called a 'racist' so flippin' traumatic? I'm sick and tired of Americans who were brought up right but fold up and whine 'mercy' when the RACE card is pulled. Quit appologizing for being right, Anglo Saxon America!
What the hell are you talking about. Race was never brought up in my post. The discrimination cry comes from the fact that you are discriminating against her because she is pregnant. There are no laws that prohibit the sale of alcohol to a pregnant woman. There may be laws in other states but New Mexico does not currently have a law against it. In the state of New Mexico there have been numerous discrimination lawsuits filed by pregnant woman, and they won. And I'm not just talking pocket change here, I'm talking millions of dollars. I do not condone a pregnant woman drinking alcohol, but who am I to tell someone what they can and can not do with their body.
Could you

Sandia Park, NM

#8 Jun 6, 2011
Please provide a link to proof substatiating your claim that there have been many discrimination lawsuits won by pregnant women against a business that refused to sell or serve them booze.
Its True wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell are you talking about. Race was never brought up in my post. The discrimination cry comes from the fact that you are discriminating against her because she is pregnant. There are no laws that prohibit the sale of alcohol to a pregnant woman. There may be laws in other states but New Mexico does not currently have a law against it. In the state of New Mexico there have been numerous discrimination lawsuits filed by pregnant woman, and they won. And I'm not just talking pocket change here, I'm talking millions of dollars. I do not condone a pregnant woman drinking alcohol, but who am I to tell someone what they can and can not do with their body.
Its True

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jun 6, 2011
Unfortunately lawsuit settlements are not available to the general public. But what I can tell, and this comes from an attorney who handles these types of lawsuits, that about 90% are won and about 10% are thrown out because of some sort of technicality but are refiled later and win. Talk to attorneys who handle these cases and they will tell you the same thing.

According to law, a bartender is unable to refuse to serve a certain group of people, unless there is a reason for them not to, such as drunkenness. What this means is that, legally, a pregnant woman would be able to bring up a lawsuit against a bar if they made the decision to refuse serving her alcohol, based on discrimination. Does that mean that bartenders won't serve alcohol to pregnant women? No, of course not. Some bars may advise their bartenders not to serve pregnant women alcohol and other bartenders may make the decision to not do so, based on their own personal morals and beliefs - even if it should cause him or her to be fired. Whether or not a bartender should be allowed to does not seem to matter, as the decision to drink alcohol during pregnancy is currently pro-choice.
I did

Sandia Park, NM

#10 Jun 6, 2011
some research. I already knew that settlements are not available to the general public, I did not request settlement information, I asked for cases, or legal decisions, which are public information. I could not find one case or legal precedent which dealt with a woman being refused access to alcohol by a store or establishment. I did find alot of discussion about it throughout the internet and most discussions I found tend to support an establishments right to refuse service. Some of the discussions even talked of ways that refusal could be given under the guise of someother reason.
The only lawsuits I could find were in defense of pregnant women being prosecuted for endangering a fetus due to drug or alcohol abuse.
So although it is conceptually possible that an establishment could potentially be sued for discrimination,it appears there have been none and if it went to jury that the consensus among the general public (potential jurors) is that it would reasonably fall within an establishments right to refuse services, especially if it was posted in the establishment. It seems that pregnant woman alos has the right to go to an establishment who will sell to her.
Rex

Wichita, KS

#11 Jun 6, 2011
Please give these sluts free abortions. And $1500 for their boyfriends for a vasectomy. This would save the taxpayers millions.
TheTruth

United States

#12 Jun 7, 2011
What the he ll is wrong with women now a days!! I'm a 21 year old mother and I'm smarter to know not to drink! How the he ll can you jot worry about the safety of your own child!! If you drink and are pregnant I say the day that child is born you get fixed and your child get taken away!! Maybe that'll teach women to actually act like a damn MOTHER!!!!!:/
Rhonda Bates

Silver City, NM

#13 Jun 7, 2011
Rex wrote:
Please give these sluts free abortions. And $1500 for their boyfriends for a vasectomy. This would save the taxpayers millions.
Why suggest abortion? Why not suggest birth control? You are giving a small life little consideration just as the mother drinking alcohol. Women who do not feel love for their child in their womb should not be allowed to breed.

Location hidden

#14 Jun 10, 2011
Rex wrote:
Your call to kill the child for the evils of the mother demands the strongest curse I could muster. But the strength and ferocity required is just short of what I have left.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 10, 2011
...or rather just beyond the strength and ferocity I have left.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mimbres Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr Frijoles 71,539
Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument may rais... Mon msgtdon 1
Town council approves restoration of the Silco ... Jan 23 Tony Betterton 2
Carlsbad air service provider will not renew co... Jan 23 Maybe 2
Silver City police search landfill for missing ... (Jun '11) Jan 23 citizencares 22
Your View: Letters to the editor (April 5) (Apr '11) Jan 13 Adl 5
Silver City-Grant County TEA Party Patriots hos... (Apr '14) Jan 7 WherdaPhuckawee 2
Mimbres Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mimbres People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:16 am PST

NBC Sports 3:16AM
Report: Broncos reach out to Wade Phillips with defensive coordinator needed
NBC Sports 4:09 AM
Bears add two more assistants
Bleacher Report 6:03 AM
Is Balance of Power Shifting in AFC West?
NBC Sports 6:14 AM
Michael Bidwill on Larry Fitzgerald: We'll get this worked out
Bleacher Report 7:42 AM
Kubiak the Right Coach, with or Without Peyton