Strike compassionate from your list of virtues as wellIS GIVING TO THE POOR AN ACT OF PIETY?
1) A well ordered society should have no beggars.
2) If the people heed the advice of the wise and seek to maximize their efficiency, minimize waste, refrain from damaging inbred marital unions, reduce population by procreating less and adopt sustainable practices the number of poor is bound to come down by a huge percentage.
3) It is not one's moral duty to fund the poor since each one's destiny is shaped by his own karma and by the decisions he makes in life.
4) Sensible inputs that serve to help deserving people walk upright are welcome but habitually giving away money/material resources out of sentimental weakness or egoism to lazy persons and to self-made beggars is a waste and will only perpetuate the vicious cycle of poverty.
5) On the one hand, where giving dole is concerned, do as you please but if you give to the poor it does not generate positive karma because charity is rarely disinterested and usually it promotes laziness on the part of the receivers of the help and in the process it does not provide the solution to dissolving poverty and on the other hand if one does not give to the poor it does not generate negative karma provided one decides not to be a part of the blind philanthropic mechanism of supporting inefficiency, laziness and the vicious cycle of poverty.
6) Giving away to the poor is not gonna eradicate the root causes of poverty and we see this fact personified in the growing number of poor everywhere in the world despite colossal amounts of money being given away in charity.
not very impressed
must go, time for yoga.