Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 70,105
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#69480 Mar 16, 2014
I am now an atheist who goes by reason and evidence.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#69481 Mar 16, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Still having a problem understanding the form an Atheist icon would take. I'm still leaning towards a decorative question mark -- ala "The Riddler". The WTC is the site of a mass killing. Putting a cross over a mass killing doesn't negate the existence of non-Xtians who who were also killed. It's a sign of respect for the dead in our culture, not exclusion of non-Xtians.
Again, its not your role to decide.

Is a Carmelite monastery in a concentration camp a sign of respect for the dead, or an icon of religious imperialism against Judaism?
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>At Babi Yar in Kiev, there is a very large menorah and mogen david over the site of the mass killing of 50,000 Jews. That doesn't mean that there isn't at least a few atheists or even a druid or two among the victims of that slaughter -- it just means that the majority were Jews. Only so much inclusion is practical. It's not like you can bring them all back to life and conduct surveys on exactly what they believed.
Who decides what is practical? Why wouldnt someone erect a monument to atheism, if requested? I would have no problem with that. Would you? It sounds like you would.
Rick Moss wrote:
Yes, the courts have ruled pretty aggressively on the establishment clause but to what end? Anyone who believes judicial fiat can outlaw school prayer has never taken a final exam. Should all the students of a public school be coerced or even forced to choose to participate in school prayer? Of course not, that is a clear violation of the separation principal. Should, however, schools (or other public institutions) be forbidden from allowing their unused facilities to be used by groups or persons with religious affiliations in activities that may, or may not, include a prayer? I don't see why this is an issue or how it in any way constitutes the establishment of or the free exercise of religion.
The courts might very well rule against the inclusion of a cross at a 911 memorial if someone or some group is offended and litigious enough to take it to the courts. My personal opinion is "who gives a fetid dingo's kidney?". Will a victory make anyone any more or less included in the memorial? In my opinion, it's a lot of noise with the only goal of creating more divisiveness in the US and has precious little to do with inclusion.
It is an issue of rights. You seem to devalue the expression of rights with the label of "divisiveness". Part of the problem is that you are assuming that normative world religion is inclusive. It is not. By its very nature.

Obviously you dont care - and that your right not to care. But you need to understand that not everyone is so blase about that. It doesnt devalue my religious expression not one bit to allow others to the opportunity or space to do the same. Or, to level the playing field, to eliminate all religious expression from the public sphere. There is no dearth of private spaces for religuous expression.

The problem with catering to the religious imperialists, such as the WTC cross people, is that encourages them to expand their imperialism. We saw what happens with that with the 911 mosque. People extrapolated their sense of religious ownership. Not only was Ground Zero "sacred space", to non Islamic religion, but all of the sudden so was the private neighborhood.

Location hidden

#69482 Mar 16, 2014
aegege wrote:
This is the creation of Isreal by rich banker Rothschild:
So examine history of Isreal.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Let me ask you this.

Why are anti-Semites so profoundly uncreative that they are incapable of coming with new material?

Just because you live on a island with more sheep than human beings does not excuse you from living in a time warp.

Location hidden

#69483 Mar 16, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
I am now an atheist who goes by reason and evidence.
yet you believe in evil vibes, and all kinds of weird external "energies".

If you were TRUELY an atheist, and not a bipolar schizophrenic, you would gladly seek psychiatric treatment.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69484 Mar 16, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
All religious iconography is symbolic -- some more so than others. I don't find a cross any more or less offensive as the yin yang, the karmic wheel, a swastika (the original one) or the golden arches.
Atheism, at it's core, is a desire not to be included in the world of religion or faith-based ideologies and that is a great thing. An ideology based on no preconceptions would be a great thing. That is why I find it so ironic that a radical atheist's response to religious culture is either "I don't have something so you can't have something" or "if you have something I want to have it too". At best it's ironic, at worst it's petulant and childish.
I don't believe that the inclusion of religious iconography is a publicly funded museum constitutes either making a law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. I also believe that attempting to erase any hint of religious culture from any public institution is reductio ad absurdum of the First Amendment.
As an atheist, I agree with you.

I say let them have their cross. I don't really see how it hurts me or affects me in any way.

These folks are sincere in their beliefs and it if brings them some small measure of comfort in the middle of what surely would be an intensely sad and emotional experience (for anyone), so be it. Move on.

A publicly funded and or sanctioned nativity scene in the middle of town square would be something else.

Location hidden

#69485 Mar 16, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

yet you believe in evil vibes, and all kinds of weird external "energies".

Dunce with a PhD in "science",

There're no evil vibes/external energies.

There exist higher/lower frequency energy waves.

What I have said is that an exchange of energy can take place between 2 persons or between a person and an object which tends to set up a potential gradient which then results in drawing out of energy or in suffusing of energy.

This is perfectly rational.

Ionizing radiation from a mobile phone tower, computer radiation, excess talk on a cell phone, ultrasound and other energies also harm my sensitive nervous system.

This is also perfectly rational.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#69486 Mar 16, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems you have MUCH to be thankful for and positive about.
I take it you are young, only in your 20s; wealthy; physically healthy; good-looking (by your own account); intelligent; and well-educated. Not to mention you show compassion and warmth toward others.
I would implore you to start treating yourself as well as you evidently treat others. Stop being so hard on yourself and dwelling on the negative. You can't change your past, your upbringing nor what others have done to you.
You can only control how you respond to these events. Move forward and appreciate your advantages.
Many would kill to trade places with you.
I think you may spend too much time by yourself, focusing on yourself. Try to turn the focus toward others for more hours of the day.
How about some travel with a friend? Take a good friend on a nice trip to somewhere you've never been. Sounds like you can afford it.
Helen Keller said life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.(And she probably didn't have the money you do, not to mention the seeing/hearing/talking thing!:))
So Joel, this is by way of saying that you can go ahead and stop complaining that your hair follicles hurt; it feels like you're wearing someone else's skin; and someone is seeking control of your brainwaves, and so on.

Thank you.

Your friend, former res

ps....and good luck finding that little man in the pink canoe; the magic button; the hooded monk and so on. Keep us posted!

Location hidden

#69487 Mar 16, 2014
The charge of "antisemitism" when sordid facts about Israel are pointed out to brainless Zionists is so pathetic that it makes me laugh out aloud. So, many noted ex-Jews like Henry Kissinger, Henry Makow, Israel Shamir, Noam Chomsky, Lawrence Krauss and others have mercilessly attacked Judaism, Israel and Zionism and have exposed the utter rubbish inherent in these things. Proud.

Location hidden

#69488 Mar 16, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

So Joel, this is by way of saying that you can go ahead and stop complaining that your hair follicles hurt; it feels like you're wearing someone else's skin; and someone is seeking control of your brainwaves, and so on.
Nonlocal exchanges of energy of different frequencies are real.

Turning atheist does not mean one denies these actual energy exchanges that take place between humans nor should one deny the energy exchanges taking place between humans and mobile phone towers/computer radiation/ultrasound devices etc.

There are no mystical energies nor are they any deities and the like - I made this clear to you in my earlier posts.

Everything in nature is simply an exchange or energy/matter waves of different frequencies.

I thought you knew this much.

Location hidden

#69489 Mar 16, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

ps....and good luck finding that little man in the pink canoe; the magic button; the hooded monk and so on.
Are these references to homosexual habits?

In these matters, you're the expert.

LOL

Location hidden

#69490 Mar 16, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>

Thank you.

Your friend, former res
Thank you for your kindness.

I hope both of us atheists can now carry our friendship to new heights in the spirit of free thinking that's based on unbiased inquiry, reason, evidence and humanism.

Location hidden

#69491 Mar 16, 2014
typo

Everything in nature is simply an exchange OF energy/matter waves of different frequencies.

Location hidden

#69492 Mar 16, 2014
Ya Ma. ha ha ha

Location hidden

#69493 Mar 16, 2014
Where's HUGH - Professor of Science/CEO? I am waiting for the rascal to surface. LMAO.

Location hidden

#69494 Mar 16, 2014
A month ago, HUGH, Professor of Science/CEO, created a huge commotion on the Who's Allah thread by asking BMZ to post details about a Singapore-based company dealing in cheap hardware costing a measly $ 300. Hugh had not a clue about the device and I think, knowing how impoverished Hugh is, cost was a major factor. Seeker and he got drawn into a long spat when Seeker mocked Hugh's stupidity in the particular case. LOL.

Location hidden

#69495 Mar 16, 2014
HUGH, Professor of Science/CEO, has that typical middle class stamp on his personality and what makes his case worse is his crying over his mounting financial debt, moaning about the poor condition of the run down shack that he calls home and his gripes about the perennial shortage of money he faces. Pathetic. Anyway, best of luck to him.

(smiles)

Location hidden

#69496 Mar 16, 2014
Money is the root of all evil.

Location hidden

#69497 Mar 16, 2014
Give to the needy person but ensure that your giving is not the cause of his further downfall since freebies usually exacerbate laziness, reduce sense of responsibility and dilute efficiency in the recipient.

Location hidden

#69498 Mar 16, 2014
When you give money or materials to the poor remember to muster up all the love that you can while giving so as to make the act dignified and humane.

Location hidden

#69499 Mar 16, 2014
COR - THE CRASS IDIOT

Refined human qualities are missing on this forum.

Take a look at COR (Cult of Reason).

COR is an atheist which is great but one look at his shriveled personality that's devoid of sympathy, compassion and kindness and any averagely moral person will flee from him.

Besides, COR seriously lacks intelligence.

COR comes across as riff raff in most online debates that he often indulges using poor logic and an impoverished vocabulary of the English language.

A poster like COR is not human but more a hard-hearted barbarian.

Many atheists, once they free themselves from religious superstition, become cruel, unsympathetic and immoral.

I have turned atheist but I hope never to condescend to the pathetic level of a crass idiot like COR.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mimbres Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mimbres area 19 hr Wherda 2
Grant County Corruption (Apr '10) Oct 21 silly12 6
A Possible Situation? Oct 13 yankeedudell 3
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Oct 13 yankeedudell 47
Forgery Cover up by GCSO Oct 13 Nick Jonas 2
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Sep 29 Insect Trust 32
WNMU students graduate from Police Academy (Jun '10) Sep '14 Really 8
Mimbres Dating
Find my Match

Mimbres Jobs