Archaeologists uncover remnants of no...

Archaeologists uncover remnants of nomadic society (4 a.m.)

There are 17 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Apr 7, 2011, titled Archaeologists uncover remnants of nomadic society (4 a.m.). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

No, they did not find a Tyrannosaurus Rex tooth. But, the ongoing dig off of Highway 180 has revealed another find for the archaeology team from the Museum of New Mexico.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Spell It Out for Me

Las Vegas, NM

#1 Apr 7, 2011
"According to research on the ancient people, they would travel in small groups of 11 to 25 people."

Perhaps, this was an early football team?
otis

United States

#2 Apr 7, 2011
Perhaps the locals would supply them with drinks and snacks after the two-a-days since times were tough.

Since: Jul 10

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Apr 7, 2011
They're not going to learn anything useful by excavating an ancient pit house with some broken arrowheads around it. This is exactly what we're talking about when we say "smaller government is needed."

I find it abhorrent that we had to fight so hard to protect New Mexico jobs in the film industry while some museum is using state funds to painstakingly brushing dust away from an arrowhead north of Deming.
Silverback

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Apr 7, 2011
Archeology is an invaluable tool for busting the creation myth that fundamentalists continue to cling to as their only argument against progress. What little is spent by the state in terms of archeological projects is worth ever so much more than the claim "we had to fight so hard to protect New Mexico jobs in the film industry."
I doubt seriously if the commentator ever fought for anything in his life, and if he really thinks that studying the past is irrelevant, then he is probably a gradeschool dropout and not the eagle he claims to be.
Pee J is a Tool

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Apr 7, 2011
Spell It Out for Me wrote:
"According to research on the ancient people, they would travel in small groups of 11 to 25 people."
Perhaps, this was an early football team?
Exactly, but because of academic irregularities and oversight failure, they got the mass extinction penalty.
Among You Soon

United States

#7 Apr 7, 2011
No doubt Aliens......right?

Since: Jul 10

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Apr 7, 2011
Silverback wrote:
Archeology is an invaluable tool for busting the creation myth that fundamentalists continue to cling to as their only argument against progress. What little is spent by the state in terms of archeological projects is worth ever so much more than the claim "we had to fight so hard to protect New Mexico jobs in the film industry."
I doubt seriously if the commentator ever fought for anything in his life, and if he really thinks that studying the past is irrelevant, then he is probably a gradeschool dropout and not the eagle he claims to be.
I have two college degrees, and there are some archaeological studies in there somewhere. Aside from that, I have no idea where else to go with your ignorant comments here. I'm talking about reality and the economy. You're talking about needing MORE archaeology to use as a weapon against creationism nut cases. We have all the evidence we need to prove evolution is what happened. What we need now are a few more jobs than dusting off a couple of arrowheads will provide.
Yo Dawg

Ashburn, VA

#9 Apr 7, 2011
Spell It Out for Me wrote:
"According to research on the ancient people, they would travel in small groups of 11 to 25 people."
Perhaps, this was an early football team?
... Yes, more specifically, this was the 1949 Las Cruces High football team featuring Jim Bradley ...
Silverback

Santa Fe, NM

#11 Apr 7, 2011
Dear Eagle droppings: Archeologists work for a living too, or had that slipped past your degreed ignorance. I also have three degrees, and can't figure out why you think your argument holds any semblance of rationality. Not only that, but workers in NM's film industry hold jobs as well. What is needed here is not so much job creation, but responsible administrators who make the right decisions about investing public funds. The budget shorfalls in the state economy are directly related mismanagement and not unemployment.

Since: Jul 10

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Apr 8, 2011
Silverback wrote:
Dear Eagle droppings: Archeologists work for a living too, or had that slipped past your degreed ignorance. I also have three degrees, and can't figure out why you think your argument holds any semblance of rationality. Not only that, but workers in NM's film industry hold jobs as well. What is needed here is not so much job creation, but responsible administrators who make the right decisions about investing public funds. The budget shorfalls in the state economy are directly related mismanagement and not unemployment.
Are you the one calling me irrational after posting crap like this? "I doubt seriously if the commentator ever fought for anything in his life, and if he really thinks that studying the past is irrelevant, then he is probably a gradeschool dropout and not the eagle he claims to be."

And by the way, a tecolote is an OWL, not an eagle. Get it right before you continue spewing your hate.

Yes, I know archaeology is a job. Yes, I know it requires specialized knowledge and skills. I also know that we're not going to learn anything of any consequence from excavating one more pit house. We've got more pressing problems in this world.
Max Cherry

Alamogordo, NM

#13 Apr 8, 2011
I still want to know if these Archaeologists are destroying the landscape! Maybe we should contact the BLM.
Loco

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Apr 8, 2011
Why not investigate lost civilizations? What else can you possibly discover that is more interesting coming out of Deming? These people were obviously smarter then the current inhabitants of this area. They knew if they stuck around Deming too long that it would be detrimental to their society and their psychological well being.
Native New Mexican

Franklin, MI

#15 Apr 8, 2011
Knowledge is power. Learned people know this. We explore the "Big Bang Theory", the Civil War, George Washington, etc. We teach our children about different view points. With this knowledge individuals are able to answer questions about origin and human development. Unfortunately, science, creationism, religion, and spirituality conflict. Indeed, all jobs are needed. If we start eliminating certain disciplines, such as archeology, history, science, biology, etc., we will move back in our search for knowledge. We can choose to live in the dark or become enlightened. What is happening here is we are worried about our financial health. We need to create many different kinds of jobs for everyone. State and federal governments have failed to grant us this security. So we begin to fight over limited funds. It is not our choice. But we will continue to blame each other or want what someone has. We try to justify what is needed and what is not. In essence every job is needed.
Jason

United States

#16 Apr 8, 2011
How exactly would you know we will not learn anything from one more site? Hove you ever been on a site? There is a lot to learn from these sites. So what if you have two degrees, I have three. Does that make me better then you? Maybe not better, but way more open minded.
El TecoloteLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you the one calling me irrational after posting crap like this? "I doubt seriously if the commentator ever fought for anything in his life, and if he really thinks that studying the past is irrelevant, then he is probably a gradeschool dropout and not the eagle he claims to be."
And by the way, a tecolote is an OWL, not an eagle. Get it right before you continue spewing your hate.
Yes, I know archaeology is a job. Yes, I know it requires specialized knowledge and skills. I also know that we're not going to learn anything of any consequence from excavating one more pit house. We've got more pressing problems in this world.
Green-Gold

United States

#17 Apr 8, 2011
El TecoloteLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I know archaeology is a job. Yes, I know it requires specialized knowledge and skills. I also know that we're not going to learn anything of any consequence from excavating one more pit house. We've got more pressing problems in this world.
You believe that we're not going to learn anything of consequence from this excavation. You are probably right, but we have established a protocol that protects a site like this from distruction until we truely know the facts. I think the time is well spent as we cannot replace the site. Your mileage may vary.

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#18 Apr 8, 2011
A few years back, ancient native bones and remnants were discovered in Central (Santa Clara), NM....probably not extra far from this dig.

Never heard another word on it, except the locals
didn't want burial grounds dug up.

It was not widely determined or reported if they were newer or ancient remains.
Among You Soon

United States

#19 Apr 8, 2011
Come on..........ancient illegials....right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mimbres Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Their view: No clear gain in dispute over Falkl... (Mar '10) Jul '17 Tony 630
News Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 5
News Twenty-five car pile-up leaves six people dead Jun '17 Budda Gojkovich 2
News Fiesta Latina heats things upJune 19th, 2017 Jun '17 I love the southwest 1
News 16-year-old student dies (May '07) Jun '17 Cherie griego 10
News Man caught hunting out of season fined $4k Jun '17 Bob 1
News Doctor accused of inappropriate exam behavior t... (Nov '09) Jun '17 Yimminy Rickets 356

Mimbres Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mimbres Mortgages