Alton Chief, 2 Officers Suspended

Alton Chief, 2 Officers Suspended

There are 39 comments on the WCSH-TV Portland story from Nov 30, 2006, titled Alton Chief, 2 Officers Suspended. In it, WCSH-TV Portland reports that:

In Alton, New Hampshire the police chief and 2 high-ranking officers have been suspended as the town investigates the department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCSH-TV Portland.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BunnyMa5

Chesterfield, MO

#21 Mar 22, 2007
I am so ashamed of these revolting individuals presently serving on the board....since when do policemen have to kowtow to the criminal element in the town? Eveidently according to these the "punks" now can safely rule the town. In my heart I hope Lt. Correia finds redress in the courts. I've no patience with so-called whistle blowers, they usually have an ax to grind. Once more little minds triumph....hidden agendas unfortunately win...let's start unseating some others who have abused their power, namely the little colonel Bailey and his cohorts!
Fun

AOL

#22 Mar 24, 2007
After watching the hearings on tv, I cant help but comment. Listening to the testimony, from the parents of the children, I would like to say this, first off to the father that hide behind the bushes at the skate park. Why would you hide? Would'nt it have been wiser to make your appearance known, if in fact Lt Corriea was using such vulgarity to children 12 years old? I know if it were me I would not have hid behind bushes!
As for the mother thats daughter brought Marijuana to school. She was suspended????? Not arrested??? Then to say that Lt Corriea went into her class and starred at her??? Perhaps its the child feeling guilt??? Knowing she was guilty for bringing the drugs to school?? Gosh after hearing this testimony I had to hang my head for Lt Corriea. Times are very different these days, and all parents must know that bringing drugs to school is grounds for arrest and dismissal. Personally I think he gave your daughter a break!
I believe with the testimony given by all, I believe this Lt got the short end of the stick for sure. Why was'nt he given a warning for his so called behavior? Instead you choose to fire him??? You are taking a minut amount of the public which he serves every single day, for 20 some odd years in law enforcement and going to fire him for swearing and your so called double dipping?
I think if it were me, put in the situation today, up against our youth using profanity themselves, I believe I would use the verbage they understand as well. What gives our youth the right to not hold respect for our law enforcement, let alone themselves? Such a sad outcome from the selectmen, perhaps each and everyone of you should wear a the badge for the day and come across a few nasty people and see how you would handle yourselves.
Ashley Gray

Laconia, NH

#23 Mar 31, 2007
I have wanted to write something for a long time about this. As someone who has had a lot of contact with Lt.Corriea, I am really ashamed of the selectmen of Alton. I have had a different experience with Lt. corriea than some of you. I am a lot younger then most of you and haven’t lived here that long.
I moved to Alton about 5 years ago as a sophomore in high school. I was going through a very rough time and did a lot of stupid things. Lt. Corriea was the resource officer at Alton Central and he really helped me to get through a lot. He really got me to turn my life around and I don’t think he even knows how much of an impact he had on me. Even my mom would say so.
I also know many students who spent time in his office. Some of them would go there just to talk to him about nothing important. Some people would go to him to talk about a problem in their lives. It was a very comfortable place to be and to talk to someone who could give you judgment free advice. I can say that I never heard him speak in a way he shouldn’t. Evan after graduating high school I still see him around town he still smiles or waves or says “hi”. It’s nice to know the police officers on a friendly basis.
I just find it interesting that people who had a reason to hold a grudge against him were the ones who got heard. I don’t understand how the word of one officer outweighs the word of others. I have done a lot of reading on this topic and in the Laconia news paper it says that the Town Attorney James Sessler, investigated the charges against Lt. Correia, was also the judge during the officer's disciplinary hearing. How can that be? In that same article is also says that because 2 of the board members recused themselves they needed to fill their seats with past board members. They didn’t do that either. If this was what they thought was right then why didn’t they follow the rules.
I’m not complaining that they didn’t go about this the right way. In fact it might turn out to be a good thing; it now gives Lt. Corriea the room for al appeal. I’m just sad that there are people in Alton who would let a good man have his career ruined. They don’t care what is best for the community. They might not like him, and they don’t have to. There are so many who do like him and have good things to say about him and that should say enough about him. It’s so blatantly obvious that this is more of a personal issue rather then a legal one.
Lt Correia - Alton NH

AOL

#24 Apr 8, 2007
Ashley,
Thank you for your encouragement and kind words.
derek from mass

United States

#25 Apr 11, 2007
i think ed is a awsume guywho should not be in any of this sh#I have talk to lt ed A few times let me tell you he is a stand up kind of man i dont belive any of this good luck ed god bless
BunnyMa5

Chesterfield, MO

#26 Jul 15, 2007
I wish the best for Ed and his family...I hope he takes this matter up to federal court also...the machinations of a few should not evade the light of justice
Interested

Salem, NH

#27 Jul 21, 2007
Anyone have an update on the Chiefs appointment? Whats the word?
Alton resident

Somersworth, NH

#28 Aug 15, 2007
It seems that all qualified candidates for the Chiefs job have essentially decided not to come here due to their feelings from the BOS during interviews that Heath must be protected and favored. Considering the utmost lack of respect for Heath in the police community as a whole, this creates a real problem for any self respecting Chief who would try to do his job in the best interest of the town. Have you also heard that the Heath has managed to systematically fired three additional officers since the whole Correia ordeal. He, with the help of the town administrator and BOS are quietly getting rid of all who would not back them in shameful mess. I'm afraid it will be years before Alton can recover from this. We won't be able to attract anyone qualified or suitable for the Chiefs job of regular officers position until this TOWN ADMINISTRATOR and BOS are gone. Seems alot of people are on some sort of power trip and the towns people of Alton are getting the short end of the stick.
Southern Tier

Salem, NH

#29 Aug 15, 2007
Additional firings? Who? I will tell you that a qualified Chief candidate would not fear the situation in Alton, they would be energized by the career challenge. One that is in the retirement mode would fear such alleged turmoil. However that person would not be qualified, for Alton, now would he?
Up North

Chesterfield, MO

#30 Aug 16, 2007
Hey Alton resident, Where did you get your information from? I thought the interview process, and subsequent meetings were held in non public? Do you have the inside track on what's happening there? Did it ever occur to you that the Selectmen are possibly being a whole lot more cautious and in-depth so as to not have a repeat performance of what just happened?

I have to agree with Southern Tier, as any Police Chief worth his salt would salivate at the chance to go in there and straighten things out.

As far as firings.... how about some details. Allegations are nice, but facts are better. You seem to have a lot more information than we in the general public have.
Bev

Laconia, NH

#31 Aug 16, 2007
I think it would be a big mistake for the board to give Heath the chiefs job. None of them will be getting my vote in the future. Little has been said about Captain Anderson as he just faded into the dust. He was one of the most informative and knowledgeable men on the force. What are we left with now? Heath never knew where Alton Shores was until he purchased property there. Now he spends his time on the job as an Alton Officer running up the mountain to check his property. He does not have to worry as the rest of the department is afraid to rat him out.
Southern Tier

York Harbor, ME

#32 Aug 31, 2007
Why all this angst against Heath? Isn't he running the agency now, and without any real issues? Try and look at the positives instead of dealing doom and gloom. Or simply provide real data backing up your submissions.
Bev

Laconia, NH

#33 Sep 10, 2007
Southern Tier wrote:
Why all this angst against Heath? Isn't he running the agency now, and without any real issues? Try and look at the positives instead of dealing doom and gloom. Or simply provide real data backing up your submissions.
As a taxpayer in this town I would like the most qualified person for the job. Of course there are no issues if people are afraid to voice them. We need a qualified police chief. The real data is- he is doing exactly what he accused the other officers of doing
get real

Barnstead, NH

#34 Oct 1, 2007
Alton Bay Summer Resident wrote:
I consider Alto to be a wonderful little town even if it is just during the summer months. I have met the Chief of Police and find him to be a very nice individual - why is it there is always a power struggle with someone in authority... If the officers do not like him the answer is - Leave - find another job!!!
because his job is to work for a living,no free lunch "right"
Bev

Laconia, NH

#35 Oct 3, 2007
We have a new police chief coming to town soon. Lets hope he can handle all this turmoil in the department. He seens qualified for the job. Does anyone know how many canditates the town had to pick from? Has anyone heard how Lt.Correia is doing with his battle to get his job back? It would be nice to see him on the force again.
sunshine

Marion, MA

#36 Aug 22, 2008
Only known Ed Corriera a short time but I can tell you one thing. He is a striaght up guy and a wonderful person. We in our town are glad he visits
lost

Marion, CT

#37 Oct 21, 2008
There all rat`s.alton cops are assholes.At a time of need for my brother murder.One is ready to start a fight with me at the murder seen.Would not have been good for him.Let`s talk about his mouth.If you weren`t with another cop and police cars i would kicked his ass.
getreal

Deerfield, NH

#38 Mar 10, 2009
failed again!
Dinky Blue

Forsyth, MO

#39 Oct 19, 2012
Lt Correia - Alton NH wrote:
Ashley,
Thank you for your encouragement and kind words.
Hey I think you guys should know you posts are coming to Alton, Mo. I hope you are posting to here. If not every one here is reading your post. Lt. Correia, do you have family in Ca. My hubby grew up aceoss the street from a family named Correia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milton Mills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News State police log, Troop E (Jan '13) Sep '16 justine 3
Justin Harris (Mar '06) Aug '16 Tired in Sanford 77
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in New Hampsh... (Oct '10) Nov '10 3 cents 18
News Military news (May '08) May '08 Christopher G Elwell 1

Milton Mills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Milton Mills Mortgages