Lost hiker "alive because she was smart"

Lost hiker "alive because she was smart"

There are 5 comments on the The Berlin Daily Sun story from Mar 29, 2011, titled Lost hiker "alive because she was smart". In it, The Berlin Daily Sun reports that:

The woman searchers found near the summit of Mount Jackson on Sunday could wind up being charged for her rescue, even though the rescuers who found her credit her skill and preparedness for her survival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Berlin Daily Sun.

Mary

Boston, MA

#1 Mar 29, 2011
Smart? No. Lucky? YES. Any time you for a hike in the Whites (ANY season) you have to be prepared to spend the night - especially if you are hiking alone. Heading out to hike during bad weather is not smart. I am so happy that she survived, but she was lucky she survived. The outcome could have been much, much worse.
whitemthiker

United States

#2 Mar 29, 2011
Smart? Prepared?? Learning the most basic use of a compass ....now that would be smart. Poor weather conditions plus altitude equals poor judgement in my opinion. Let's see... she came in from the west and departed the summit to the south. Her grade for Hiking 101 would be an "F". Best she stick to nature walks in the Blue Hills and give the NH rescue teams a break.
jacek rudowski

Waltham, MA

#3 Mar 29, 2011
julie horgan is personal friend of mine (i took her out to legal seafoods in feb.), she was properly dresed for the conditions & she had done this hike before. she had a cell phone. i think she should have had a partner, maybe she will now rethink her decision to hike alone. but i feel she was smart & could have as it turned out later could have got out without assistance. i am sure julie knows how to use use a compass but when you on a mountain lone in winter she kept her cool. the teams searching for her did no suffer any injuries & she has no lasting ill effects i am so glad eveything turned out all right.
Another View

Boston, MA

#4 Mar 30, 2011
All hikers can learn from the Code: See third item below...be prepared to turn back. The moment she hit the trail and saw that the conditions were bad, she should have turned back (I question why she started out in the first place?) As the Code reminds us: the mountain will be there, there is always another day. I am so happy that Ms. Horgan lived to see it.

HikeSafe Hiker Responsibility Code

You are responsible for yourself, so be prepared:

*With knowledge and gear.* Become self reliant by learning about the terrain, conditions, local weather and your equipment before you start.
To leave your plans. Tell someone where you are going, the trails you are hiking, when you will return and your emergency plans.

*To stay together.* When you start as a group, hike as a group, end as a group. Pace your hike to the slowest person.

*To turn back.* Weather changes quickly in the mountains. Fatigue and unexpected conditions can also affect your hike. Know your limitations and when to postpone your hike. The mountains will be there another day.

*For emergencies.* Even if you are headed out for just an hour, an injury, severe weather or a wrong turn could become life threatening. Don’t assume you will be rescued; know how to rescue yourself.

To share the hiker code with others.
hikeSafe: It’s Your Responsibility.
jacek rudowski

Waltham, MA

#5 Apr 10, 2011
i got together with julie horgan yesterday evening (9 april 2011) for a meal as it was my birthday. julie told me when she intially asked for assistance about 3:00 p.m. there was no one who could be sent to help her. as far as i am concerned n.h. dropped the ball which could have turned out a lot worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Finding Dope (Jun '13) 3 hr Kjb6988420 39
the goddam jews are to blame 14 hr BUD FOX 1
Text message from depressed girl 17 hr KitKat 2
Gfs see thru yoga pants am I a bad bf 17 hr KitKat 3
Navy Names Ship for Pedophile Sat Inquisitor 1
Navy Names Ship for a Queer Thu Inquisitor 1
News News | 18-Year-Old Shot at Latin Festival, Says... Aug 24 Mr Obama 2

Milton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance