Crist offers Gustav evacuees hospitality

Crist offers Gustav evacuees hospitality

There are 9 comments on the News Press story from Sep 2, 2008, titled Crist offers Gustav evacuees hospitality. In it, News Press reports that:

PENSACOLA - Gov. Charlie Crist served orange juice to Gulf Coast evacuees, listened to their problems, consulted with their governors and encouraged them Monday not to hurry home to the region struck by ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Press.

james

AOL

#1 Sep 3, 2008
Hospitality..yea,right...I work in a popular retail store and these ghetto acting new orleans
refugees have been shoplifting my store like it was a give-away! I caught one and she said she has immunity cause she's a gustav victim!!! look
out businesses..there back......and with the katrina mindset!!!!
CLW

Crestview, FL

#2 Sep 3, 2008
Geez, I'm sorry but Gustav was no Katrina. It is sad that anyone would use that as an excuse to break the law.
james

AOL

#3 Sep 3, 2008
these new orleans evacuee's are still thinking their getting another $2500 debit card like they did during katrina...there was minimal if any,damage to n/o during gustav,so why do they expect a payout?(maybe because they were'nt allowed to stay behind and loot?
CLW

Crestview, FL

#4 Sep 3, 2008
I agree. People forget that Katrina didn't hit NO, it hit the Gulfport/Biloxi area. What happened in NO wouldn't have if the levees would have been up to code (which they had been warned and warned about). It is terrible to lose your home, however, there comes a point where you have to get back on your feet and either rebuild your home or rebuild your life somewhere else. I know of no one who has lost their home in a fire still living in a Red Cross sponsored hotel or government-funded trailer three years later.
Amanda

Pensacola, FL

#5 Sep 3, 2008
CLW wrote:
I agree. People forget that Katrina didn't hit NO, it hit the Gulfport/Biloxi area. What happened in NO wouldn't have if the levees would have been up to code (which they had been warned and warned about). It is terrible to lose your home, however, there comes a point where you have to get back on your feet and either rebuild your home or rebuild your life somewhere else. I know of no one who has lost their home in a fire still living in a Red Cross sponsored hotel or government-funded trailer three years later.
Agreed. I really don't understand how no one ever anticipated being hit by something when they are that close to the coast. More steps should have been taken beforehand to ensure that such a disaster would have never happened. But hindsight is 20/20.

I hope they have more law enforcement about in areas where evacuated people have been going so that more incidents like this fellows don't happen. That's a terrible mindset for people to have. So many people were scared of evacuating this time because they were fearful that someone would break in and loot their house. That's just a terrible sin.
Maggie

Bonifay, FL

#7 Sep 3, 2008
CLW wrote:
I gree.There comes a time when you have to #$%^ or get off the pot. Some of those folks need to get off the pot. If i lost my home over & over again.I"d start out someplace else.Granted,Some had no Ins.But, Unless the Govt. wants to keep spending out Tax Dollars on replacing homes & moving people out every year or so,Why don"t they just buy the property from the people ( Like they do in imminent domain cases ) and get over with it? That way the people have the $$"s to move to safer places & it would cost the tax payers less in the long run. I sure wouldn"t want to move back underneath a levee,It would be too nerve wracking. If they did that,It would solve Many,Many problems for the homeowners & the City.Restore the wetlands & water wouldn"t be such a Major problem during hurricanes.I certainly would encourage friends & relatives to get out of there.
Maggie

Bonifay, FL

#8 Sep 3, 2008
sorry for the typo"s.I think i need a new keyboard.
Maggie

Bonifay, FL

#9 Sep 3, 2008
CLW wrote:
Geez, I'm sorry but Gustav was no Katrina. It is sad that anyone would use that as an excuse to break the law.
There is no excuse for it
james

AOL

#10 Sep 4, 2008
after the katrina refugees fled to Houston Texas, the crime rate trippled in only a few month's,
citizens were demanding the city remove these people,some people only want to leech off of others and society,and refuse to help themselves
and only want a hand out.I am sick of my tax dollars paying to rebuild these homes over,and over,and over,while the resident sit's with arms folded waiting on us to fix their problem..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
richard lee or kenneth allen griner Jul 14 missouri gal 1
News Prosecutor David Rimmer is appointed circuit judge (Dec '09) Jul 6 Katy Betts 14
News 'Runaway Mom' Brenda Heist now in Panhandle jail (May '13) Jun 25 Joe 3
santa rosa and escambia twirlers (Sep '11) Jun '16 Ksarg 6
Weston Hastie (Nov '12) May '16 beans tostada 7
who knows her? (Jan '16) May '16 freebie 2
Vote For Donald Trump May '16 Dump the Hump Trump 2

Milton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Milton Mortgages