New Air Evac base now operational in ...

New Air Evac base now operational in Rushville

There are 6 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from Mar 18, 2008, titled New Air Evac base now operational in Rushville. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

In an effort to provide critical care transportation to patients when time is of the essence, Air Evac recently completed constructing a base station in Rushville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

Lark Coughlin RN BSN

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Mar 20, 2008
Welcome to Air Evac, even though this area of the state is already well served and saturated by air medical services.

While I sincerely appreciate that Air Evac does hire local medics and nurses at all of its bases, and attempts to underwrite operating costs by drawing from the local community via membership drives, please keep in mind that they are for-profit, and can be gone if the base does not generate enough flights (revenue). This means if you buy a membership, it could be worth nothing if they leave town.

I am not suggesting that Air Evac will absolutely/eventually fold up shop and leave Rushville, but it's food for thought before buying a AEL membership.

Take for example, Ottumwa Iowa. Here's a link to a recent newspaper article from February 2008:

http://www.ottumwacourier.com/local/local_sto...

I'm absolutely sure from a medical necessity standpoint, PHI or Lifeline did a fine job of serving this area of Indiana already. Care Flight in Dayton has three helicopters and University AirCare in Cincinnati are also close enough to adequately back up PHI and Lifeline.

In the interest of full disclosure, and, for the record, PHI is also selling memberships in Indiana (and is for-profit) and Lifeline is not selling memberships at this time and is not-for-profit as a division of Clarian Health.
EMS

Lubbock, TX

#2 Mar 21, 2008
Has anyone in your area checked the saftey record of AirEvac. If my numbers are correct, they have approx 15 crashes. I would consider them one of the most unsafe providers in the nation. Might be something to look in to.
Concerned Citizen

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Mar 22, 2008
It does seem our area has very good air medical helicopter service already. Air Evac is in this for the profit potential only. They are going to try and put one of the other companies out of business. Definitely look at Air Evac's safety record. I would question flying with them. As stated they do have a history of coming into an area to make a financial go at it, collecting membership fees, then bailing out on the community without any return. As the other comment stated we are well served here by PHI and LifeLine. I have personal experience with University Air Care from Cincinnati flying here and providing exceptional service. Cincinnati Air Care even flies with an emergency room doctor and a flight nurse. Dayton with two flight nurses, and our local programs with flight nurse and paramedic. From what I understand the nurse and medic combination is very good but imagine bringing a doctor to the scene or your accident. Anyway, say no to Air Evac by saying no to their membership drive - especially if you have insurance already.
Jim

New Braunfels, TX

#4 Mar 27, 2008
Save your $$$, you'll get transported by nearest and quickest service and anything paid beyond insurance is not expected. And above all, don't turndown nearest and quickest to wait for your partnered provider, they may be indisposed and your wait may compromise your situation.
truth

Glasgow, KY

#6 Sep 1, 2008
Year to date:

Thus far, 20 dead and 8 injured
in 12 medical helicopter crashes this year.(Source Bryan Bledsoe, DO)

Air Evac Lifeteam has accounted for 3 of these fatalities (2008), the majority of the rest are under the wings of PHI and Air Methods (CJ). The 3 companies are the 3 largest aeromedical service providers in the nation.

People can argue safety records until the sun sets, Air Evac is top rated for safety by CAMTS and Aviation Research Group (ARG/US), as are many PHI and Air Methods programs. CAMTS & ARG/US are the two leading non-profit groups that do safety inspections for medical aircraft training, maintanance, and medical care(CAMTS).

The sad truth is that these tragic accidents are an industry problem, not a company problem. We can only hope something happens in the near future that makes the industry safer. If you need any proof that something needs to be done for ALL aeromedical service providers check this stat out;

Since 2000, 60 people have died in 84 crashes more than double the number of crashes during the previous five years. During that period, more than 10% of the U.S. air ambulance helicopter fleet crashed. If commercial airlines lost the same proportion of large passenger jets as air ambulance companies lost helicopters, 90 airliners would crash each year.(Source USAToday
artical 7/18/2005 1:54 AM) This doesn't include the 20 dead from 2008 alone, also consider 06 and 07 that are not noted.

Please, with the above posted TRUTHS, stop the bashing and show some love and compasion for the brave souls that are lost and thier family members. These people lead very noble lives and we should all pray that they will be rewarded for it now that they have passed. God speed to this crew, thier families, and this community.
Lark Coughlin RN BSN

Dayton, OH

#7 Sep 4, 2008
While I have nothing but sympathy for the families and friends of the pilot, nurse and paramedic who perished on AEL 76...I'd kindly ask that you don't hijack this thread.
Accidents can, and do, happen to any air medical program in the US no matter what the corporate umbrella is. HEMS accidents are dominantly human error mishaps (>80%) and the industry as a whole has done little to try and correct that. That's an NTSB fact, not a USA Today media snippet. I'm not going to speculate about the cause of this accident, like the media has.
There's no correlation between my comment posting that kicked this thread off and the tragedy last weekend in Decatur County.
Don't forget, you PAY $20,000 or more for your CAMTS accreditation, and CAMTS is not a safety rating organization...it's a recognized accrediting body.
If you'd like to honor those that died, go to www.flightweb.com and post a condolence. Otherwise, none of the above comments constitute bashing, but fact and predate the accident last week by months.
truth wrote:
Year to date:
Thus far, 20 dead and 8 injured
in 12 medical helicopter crashes this year.(Source Bryan Bledsoe, DO)
Air Evac Lifeteam has accounted for 3 of these fatalities (2008), the majority of the rest are under the wings of PHI and Air Methods (CJ). The 3 companies are the 3 largest aeromedical service providers in the nation.
People can argue safety records until the sun sets, Air Evac is top rated for safety by CAMTS and Aviation Research Group (ARG/US), as are many PHI and Air Methods programs. CAMTS & ARG/US are the two leading non-profit groups that do safety inspections for medical aircraft training, maintanance, and medical care(CAMTS).
The sad truth is that these tragic accidents are an industry problem, not a company problem. We can only hope something happens in the near future that makes the industry safer. If you need any proof that something needs to be done for ALL aeromedical service providers check this stat out;
Since 2000, 60 people have died in 84 crashes more than double the number of crashes during the previous five years. During that period, more than 10% of the U.S. air ambulance helicopter fleet crashed. If commercial airlines lost the same proportion of large passenger jets as air ambulance companies lost helicopters, 90 airliners would crash each year.(Source USAToday
artical 7/18/2005 1:54 AM) This doesn't include the 20 dead from 2008 alone, also consider 06 and 07 that are not noted.
Please, with the above posted TRUTHS, stop the bashing and show some love and compasion for the brave souls that are lost and thier family members. These people lead very noble lives and we should all pray that they will be rewarded for it now that they have passed. God speed to this crew, thier families, and this community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milroy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jail 21 hr Just a taxpayer 1
News 7 month investigation leads to arrest (Jun '11) May '17 The Anti-Connersv... 13
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Sep '16 Truth 95
thin thighs equal wider camel toe. (Jul '13) Feb '15 bill 2
Curious (Nov '14) Nov '14 Bypasser 1
Trick or Treat?? Milroy 2014 (Oct '14) Oct '14 new in town 1
Young man shot in Milroy (Jul '11) Oct '13 boo 2

Milroy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Milroy Mortgages