Jury selection complicated by questions

Jury selection complicated by questions

There are 42 comments on the Daily Journal story from Feb 3, 2007, titled Jury selection complicated by questions. In it, Daily Journal reports that:

BRIDGETON -- By the end of the second week of the trail of Philip Eplin, 255 prospective jurors had been questioned in the selection process for a jury of 12 with four additional alternates.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
John Destronini

Tully, NY

#1 Feb 6, 2007
I find this case very interesting. How can a man that was a witness to a murder be tried for the murder while the person known to have killed the victim be free. There is a great injustice being done here. I think this case shows how messed up are legal system is.
Amanda

Richmond, VA

#2 Jun 30, 2008
This man is my friend of 23 years i know of this injustice first hand and thank you for your support
Jade Eplin

Fort Wayne, IN

#3 Jun 12, 2009
Thanks amanda and John.

I appreciate the comments. But the laws is not the way it should be. This was not about a innocent man, it was about the police, prosecutor and everyone involved trying to make a name for themselves and to move up in ranks at the cost of a innocent man.

They new he did not do it. And still convicted him. What kind of justice is that. They put my family through so much crap. But in the end a lot of police, etc lost thier jobs or were demoted for their role in this injustice.
John

Toms River, NJ

#4 Jun 11, 2010
If you see a murder and help a murderer you are just as guilty!!! The only injustice is murdering/ being a part of a murder and only getting 10 years The victim will never breathe or see his children again not for 10 years but forever I wouldn't wish it on anyone but think about if someone watched someone else kill your love one and then helped the murderer clean it up would you call that person innocent? I followed this case closely and can argue the only injustice is that he isn't on death row! I am in law inforcement and know for a fact no jobs were lost and no policemen were demoted. He did nothig to help the police or the case that is a crime! You can argue facts and argue with the courts but you can not argue with God and God will judge you all.
Jade Eplin

Crawfordsville, IN

#5 Aug 18, 2010
apparently John you dont have the facts..
john

Crawfordsville, IN

#6 Aug 24, 2010
Jade Eplin wrote:
apparently John you dont have the facts..
I know the facts, i know that youre blinded by being family, and noone wants to think of someone they love as a murderer but when push comes to shove he is a murderer. close your eyes picture someone killing your friend putting him in a shallow grave and leaving him for dead. the man was struggling for life when buried! how cruel..
and the defendant philip eplin ADMITTED to murder, and helping with the murder/ cleaning up/ lying/ plotting/ etc. so clearly jade, you dont have the facts.

im not trying to start an internet war, i just want everyone to know this man is dangerous he belongs behind bars and please people dont believe any of the innocent or wrong place wrong time crap. POLICE DONT PUT RANDOM PEOPLE AWAY FOR RANDOM CRIMES. The USA would rather see 5 guilty men set free then 1 innocent man be convicted that sir, is what helped philip eplin. SEMANTICS. SIMPLY STATED: SEMANTICS ARE THE ONLY REASON PHILIP ISNT SERVING LIFE.

P. Eplin will one day grow old and have children of his own and will live a full life, The victim,& his family will NEVER get that luxury because Mr. Eplin took that from them. That is injustice. Think before you speak, you all will be judged.
john

Crawfordsville, IN

#7 Aug 24, 2010
YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO SAY NJ PUT YOUR FAMILY THROUGH CRAP????? HOW SELFISH CAN YOU BE? MAY GOD SAVE YOUR SOUL, YOU NEED IT. Maybe NJ wouldnt have pushed so hard against mr. eplin if he would have acted like a "big boy" helped the police and the victims family as much as he could and took his punishment like a man. Philip was given many chances to help and recieve help he was too inconsistent and continued to try and save his own butt.

its called responsibility.

do any of you people realize the man Eplin slaughterd had young children? More than one jury found him guilty on more then one occassion. No cops were out to get him no judges, or journalists or lawyers were out to get him and "making a name for themselves" THEY WERE DOING THEIR JOBS, PROTECTING THE PEOPLE OF NJ FROM A MURDERER/ACCOMPLICE. Do not, DO NOT question me on my facts mr. jade eplin, you dont know me and you dont know what philip did.

so speak softly.

i love being in law enforcement, i love knowing i take people like Mr. Philip Eplin off the streets. I hold this case close to my heart due to how cruel and unjust this homoicide was. everyday i wake up and remind myself people like mr. eplin are in this world and its my job to protect the people. even you jade.

ironic jade? jaded.

remember,
God always has a plan. God is always watching. God will hand him what he deserves. Im sorry to inform you of that.
Jade Eplin

Crawfordsville, IN

#8 Sep 3, 2010
I can understand your views on the issue, but you were not there and can only go but what you happen to know about the case. All I know is that the real killer were set free "period" and you know that as well. Chris should have been put away not him. I do feel for the family. But the officers conducted themselves very inappropiatly when it came to the case. There is more to the story but I can speak anymore about it.. Eitherway he's out and can move on with his life. I am not going to discuss this anymore. I've said what said and you expressed your view on the issue. How ever I do wonder why you are so emotional about this case and how you happen to come to this site.
John

Crawfordsville, IN

#9 Sep 3, 2010
I understudied this case it was my first cruel crime I was ever introduced to I can cope with phil being the only one locked up but the other guy could have been sentenced with phils help instead of jerking the police around phil should have stood up and confessed his part and told the whole story the real story maybe if he stepped up and excepted his consequences everyone wouldve been able to move on the only emotion towards this case is that I can't believe BOTH men aren't in jail for life I'm a man and I accept all responsibilities for any wrong I've done I wish BOTH men would step up and be a MAN this case and the case of the Millville man who shot his wife infront of his children are my two favorite cases to research I hope that people like phil (and his accomplice) the Millville man and everyother monster that takes someone elses life gets what they deserve and bytheway BOTH cases were open court I do know the facts :) and as my closing I'd like to say you're right phil is moving on with his life but the man he killed isn't I hope that family never sees this site or forum and if they do I apologize for anything I have said that may offend them... and jade I'm sorry if I offended you in any manner I just feel strongly about cruel crimes and the people who commit them obviously you have some attachment to phil and you cannot accept what he did I wouldn't be able to either
John

Crawfordsville, IN

#10 Sep 3, 2010
You said I don't know what happend because I wasn't at the crime scene... Were you??? How do you know what happend better than I do? I'm just a fat old man who loves to argue law and plays on the computer all day at work that's how I found this site not that it concerns you... And I'm sorry you feel like the police were unprofessional but how should police treat a liar and a murderer? Candies and bubble baths??? Oh please! I'm sorry and I know opinions are like buttholes everyone has one and they all stink!!!! Well this is just my opinion and I'm sorry for any offense again! Thank you for the debate and have a good night!!!
Jade Eplin

Crawfordsville, IN

#11 Sep 3, 2010
I understand your emotional attachment to this case, I would probably feel the same way if I was law inforcement myself. And I am happy that there are people out there who are fighting for the victims. You are correct I definitely have a personal attachment to philip based upon the fact the he is my brother. But I still believe that the wrong man was accused of this crime no matter what part he had in it. I believe are justice system needs to be corrected. I dont accept killing anyone it is wrong and sin. My bothers lower intelligence made him a easy victim in this case as well. I hope he never reads this but that is def. the truth. They should have taken that into consideration when deciding on what to do. If done correctly they could have gotten the real killer instead someone who happen to witness it. eitherway I dont have an issue with your views, I can def. understand them but the real killer is walking free..
Jade Eplin

Crawfordsville, IN

#12 Sep 4, 2010
I would like to add I don't believe you are law enforcement. If you were you would probably be in trouble right now. I dont know if you have any idea what i do for a living but your job would have been terminated for even discussing this case if you were an officer. Why dont you look me up, I bet you would be surprised who I am..

eitherway.. goodnight
Jade Eplin

Crawfordsville, IN

#13 Sep 4, 2010
come on... whats your full name I have given mine.. but app. you can say what ever you want.. "I am law enforcement".. blah blah.. give me a name lets your words stand.. I will look you up if you are law enforcement I will have your job.. ;)
Jade Eplin

Crawfordsville, IN

#14 Sep 4, 2010
remember threw my connection I have seen the discovery you have not.. so keep assuming you now what you are talking about.. mr law enforcement.. lol.. whats your name???
John

Crawfordsville, IN

#15 Sep 5, 2010
I never said I was a cop. ever. I can have all the opinions I want and why would I look you up? I have no grudges with you you're not a killer and I'm sorry your family was put in this crap and I agree the main man wasn't sentenced but the only way he could be is with your brothers testimony.. I'm assuming and I am sorry I didn't know he is your brother and I do cope with what you went through and I do agree both men should have been equally sentenced your absolutely right and I said I was in law enforcement and criminal justice I'm actually a journalist and I've been studying law for over 7 years now I'm an old man who doesn't need to tell you who I am because the internet is a beautiful thing oh and even if I were a cop aslong as I didn't work that case or have anything to do with it I could say WHATEVER whereever however about it either way I can express whatever opinion I have that's why we live in good ol' USA lol but the name is John and I'm sorry I'm not going to look you up because I don't care but I have loved arguing with you!!
John

Crawfordsville, IN

#16 Sep 5, 2010
Obviously with your brothers past im not giving you any personal information like my name but I will explain myself and my interest I'm working on my second phd and planning on passing the bar ASAP all for fun of course and I've been in journalism and medical journalism since I was about 27 I'm really just a geek with alot of time and alot on my mind anyway I told you this just happens to be one of my 3 favorite nj cases ever and all information about the case is public records ...... What discovery are you talking about?? You mentioned a discovery what are you talking about
Jade Eplin

Crawfordsville, IN

#17 Sep 6, 2010
I am surprised that you would not know what a discovery is? Also you did say in your first comment on this page that you were law enforcement. Thats why I said it. Eitherway I've said my peace.. It would be a waste of time to discuss this anymore.
good day
john

Crawfordsville, IN

#18 Sep 7, 2010
yes law is apart of law enforcement and i know what a discovery is im asking you what YOU mean by it? i wasnt sure if you mean you knew the victims side of the story or you had a break in the case...clearly im lost on how you could know the victims side... connection or not i still think your in the shadows my friend. your brother is a criminal, a violent criminal. didnt multiple jurys convict him? and i do love how you call your brother stupid. ive met alot of stupid men, none were murderers. youre right there is no reason to continue this because you and i are hard headed- i like that about you. either way your brother murdered someone, cleaned up the mess, and buried someone half alive thats ALL i know. i'd love to know more details if you have any... if your brother is free why hasnt he stepped up and argued against the guy you say is the "real" murderer??? double jeopardy would protect him from further punishment and it may even clear his name a little bit...again, these are MY personal opinions and in noway do i mean any harm or suggest any harm. it has been great debating with you mr. eplin have a great night.

ps. please do not insult my intelligence mr. eplin if you are planning to do so in the future i highly suggest you take a grammar lesson or two.
Jade Eplin

Crawfordsville, IN

#19 Sep 7, 2010
lol, your to much.

please read your previous comments your grammer needs a little help as well. I didn't know I was being graded here.

Read your comments. There is no way you would know more then I would about this case accept what you have read in the newspapers. You didn't read the discover or see how the officers acted in this case nor do you know if any jobs were lost. You have no way of knowing anything that you have tried to indicate in your comments. And he was not convicted multiple times. Do your research "journalist" (if you really are one). You just proved my case. There were multiple trials but he was only convited once. It was overturned because the offices lied on the stand and they were caught. As for my brother being stupit, he was not just to young to realise what was going on and not aware of his rights.

I hate when I see people comment on things that they have no idea what there talking about and either do it to argue or just to sound smart. Which I would believe you just made your self look stupit. Sounds like you just like hearing yourself talk or type.

If you posted a comment about a trial in the newspaper they would require your name. It holds people more accountable for their comments and
showed if they were educated and informed enough to be credible. I gave my name because I was saying thank you to the people who happen to have known my brother. There was no need for your comments on it.. Espically when you don't even no the facts. But again anyone, even a kid can post here.

So I repeat what I said in my comments following yours "your clueless". I'm sure that your have more comments for me. But I have been feeding your uneducated fire. Heres some water. There will be no more comments from me. Its beneath me to argue with some who clearly is wrong.
John

Crawfordsville, IN

#20 Sep 7, 2010
Like I said it was open court I do know alot and I know alot of the news papers were wrong news papers try and sell news papers but I do know he was convicted by multiple jurys if they were over turned they were over turned by a judge for some small loop hole a defense lawyer found that doesn't mean his peers aka the jurys didn't convict him it just means he weezled his way out as for him being young an dumb my 4 year old knows the difference between right and wrong a man over 20 doesn't??? And as far as his rights I'm sorry but murderers don't deserve rights did he care about that mans rights? Like i said I'm not giving you my name why could you possibly need it? So your brother can cover me in Lyme and bury me? No thanks!

Btw my grammar errors are simply typos yours are simply "stupit" btw I didn't claim to be brilliant but I do know one this murder is murder and It makes mr sick others don't know that because you and I both know if John or Amanda from the previous comments or even you and phil had a loved one killed you'd be the first ones to beg for justice and again there are 3 sides to every story you only know one you want me to believe this was a conspiracy cops don't pick names out of a hat and charge that person with murder and again people like amanda and john make me sick clearly they don't know what they're talking about but you thank them for support? Phil didn't witness a murder he was apart of the murder if he wasn't and he was just a witness he shouldve called the police or been truthful while being interrogated and given up the other man so I have no pity did you know if you witness a murder or a kid napping or any violent offense and you don't report/// help cover up the mess you are 100% just as guilty as the kid napper// murderer? So even if he didn't do the actually deed covering it up (which he admits to) is just as terrible and deserves life eye for an eye he took someones life the prison system deserves his I know where your coming from I'd stick up for my brother also but in your heart you know I'm right no no in your heart you know he's wrong! And please tell me which detectives were demoted or lost their jobs?? If a cop wouldve lied it wouldve been a mistrial again please don't insult my intelligence nExt time you or your brother go grab a beer think about the man he put in a makeshift grave and tell me he's innocent again

Admits to murder
Admits covering it up
Admits he poured Lyme on the victim
Admits he lied multiple times about multiple things to everyone INCLUDING his family (did you know that???)
Admits he dug the hole (premeditated)
Will not testify against the other man even though he's protected by double jeopardy
My list goes on and on and they are facts
He wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time he planned on being where he was when he was that's murder no actually it's premeditated murder which is punishable by death / life in prison it's unjust that he's not serving that time! By the way stop suggesting you'll "look me up" do not threaten me I've never threatened your family or you in anyway!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Millville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Desoto Movers (Feb '12) 15 hr sgtsmoke 3
News VINELAND: Afternoon police beat update includes... (Aug '08) Fri Shaz 18
News Female prison employee files lawsuit over retal... Nov 24 Justout2251 1
News Notes From Bridgeton Jun '16 karen vick 1
Looking for Michael Krick (Jan '11) Mar '16 Leona 2
News Angels' Mike Trout brings joy, presents to N.J.... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Cumberland community 1
News Commercial Township hires new principal for Por... (Jan '10) Sep '15 victim 3

Millville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Millville Mortgages