Forcing Small Farmers Out of Business

Forcing Small Farmers Out of Business

Posted in the Millstadt Forum

Family Friends

Waterloo, IL

#1 Nov 1, 2011
Did anyone know why Gene Stumpf of Columbia is trying to force us small farmers in Millstadt out of business. He supposed to farm 6000 acres down in Marissa and New Atens. The little farm I farm is nothing compared to all the land he aready has. Lester Arlene and my Mother have gone back for years. How could they let their son do this you would think they would put their foot down. Who is financing him. The crops pices until recently have not been that good to do the set up like he has takes millions.
ralph

Waterloo, IL

#2 Nov 1, 2011
gene is all talk he is a real joke.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3 Nov 2, 2011
Family Friends wrote:
Did anyone know why Gene Stumpf of Columbia is trying to force us small farmers in Millstadt out of business. He supposed to farm 6000 acres down in Marissa and New Atens. The little farm I farm is nothing compared to all the land he aready has. Lester Arlene and my Mother have gone back for years. How could they let their son do this you would think they would put their foot down. Who is financing him. The crops pices until recently have not been that good to do the set up like he has takes millions.
I sympathize with you, but how does the number of acres farmed by Stumpf affect your operation?
FAF

Columbia, IL

#4 Nov 3, 2011
Wild Bill of Millstadt wrote:
<quoted text>
I sympathize with you, but how does the number of acres farmed by Stumpf affect your operation?
The number of acres he farms I could care less about but going after the one or two small farms I farm I do care about. He bragged down at the Monroe County Fair that he wants to farm 7 thousand acres. So what does he want with small acreage around here.
so long

Waterloo, IL

#5 Nov 3, 2011
In the last couple of years, prices have allowed me to make a good profit farming, finally. As a small family tenant farmer, these same good prices will be my doom. The rich agribusinessmen will soon own everything. I take great pride in being a 5th generation small family farmer. There are so few left. Of the 250 acres that I did farm, I have lost 80 in the last year. Just as one thinks he has finally got over the hump, in come the vultures. And these vultures are well funded. They want it all. Expand at all costs. Rich agribusness sorts, I can't call them farmers, recieveng hundreds of thousands of government dollars. They have to find a place to spend it so that don't have to pay taxes on it. They are independently wealthy. They don't need the tax dollars but recieve them anyway. So here they come. Offering rent to my landlords that I cannot compete with. Rich guys in other businesses that buy up farmland and offer it to their cronies to farm. I made the choice 25 years ago to stay small. I didn't want to take land from other farmers. Back then, bankers, doctors, lawyers, all these big money sorts were buying up property under blind trusts as the small farms went broke. In America, it seems to be a standard to get big, or get out. The greedy will not let me exist. We small farms have always been easy prey for the rich. If you were fortunate enough to have land passed to you, you could survive. I wasn't that fortunate. So called farms were set up by corporate interests and employees pretending to be farmers ran them. Anyway, I can except my fate. The most current loss represents 25% of my operation. After 30 years of farming that ground, a telephone call from a third party informs me that another agribusiness sort will farm it next year for the rich guy that recently bought the property. I realize its his ground. He didn't even have the integrity to officially contact me, just had someone else do it. So long America. I soon will not be able to farm. One of these days you will realise the great loss that you allowed to happen. You let it happen in oil, comunications, and banking. Just wait until it happens with food. These are college educated lean mean moneymaking machines, the same that brought you the current problems with the above mentioned industries. Monolithic food will dwarf all of them in the future. Good luck with that.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#6 Nov 3, 2011
FAF wrote:
<quoted text>
The number of acres he farms I could care less about but going after the one or two small farms I farm I do care about. He bragged down at the Monroe County Fair that he wants to farm 7 thousand acres. So what does he want with small acreage around here.
OK, now I understand what you mean. Thanks for the explanation.
FAF

Columbia, IL

#7 Nov 4, 2011
so long wrote:
In the last couple of years, prices have allowed me to make a good profit farming, finally. As a small family tenant farmer, these same good prices will be my doom. The rich agribusinessmen will soon own everything. I take great pride in being a 5th generation small family farmer. There are so few left. Of the 250 acres that I did farm, I have lost 80 in the last year. Just as one thinks he has finally got over the hump, in come the vultures. And these vultures are well funded. They want it all. Expand at all costs. Rich agribusness sorts, I can't call them farmers, recieveng hundreds of thousands of government dollars. They have to find a place to spend it so that don't have to pay taxes on it. They are independently wealthy. They don't need the tax dollars but recieve them anyway. So here they come. Offering rent to my landlords that I cannot compete with. Rich guys in other businesses that buy up farmland and offer it to their cronies to farm. I made the choice 25 years ago to stay small. I didn't want to take land from other farmers. Back then, bankers, doctors, lawyers, all these big money sorts were buying up property under blind trusts as the small farms went broke. In America, it seems to be a standard to get big, or get out. The greedy will not let me exist. We small farms have always been easy prey for the rich. If you were fortunate enough to have land passed to you, you could survive. I wasn't that fortunate. So called farms were set up by corporate interests and employees pretending to be farmers ran them. Anyway, I can except my fate. The most current loss represents 25% of my operation. After 30 years of farming that ground, a telephone call from a third party informs me that another agribusiness sort will farm it next year for the rich guy that recently bought the property. I realize its his ground. He didn't even have the integrity to officially contact me, just had someone else do it. So long America. I soon will not be able to farm. One of these days you will realise the great loss that you allowed to happen. You let it happen in oil, comunications, and banking. Just wait until it happens with food. These are college educated lean mean moneymaking machines, the same that brought you the current problems with the above mentioned industries. Monolithic food will dwarf all of them in the future. Good luck with that.
Thank you so much for explaining it the way I couldn't.
Save ourselves

United States

#8 Nov 17, 2011
The only way to get rid of the TOO BIG to fail is starve them. They are too big not to eat. Stop! Do not buy another thing from a big business. Find a small business and support our too small to save! It is the only way little people can fight back, together we are bigger than any TOO BIG!
NO R-M Here

Waterloo, IL

#9 Apr 17, 2012
Did you know that Gene Stumpf of Columbia only paid Alan Payne $135.00 an acre cash rent. That is why Alan had to sell his farm because he was being cheated by Gene. Gene goes around Millstadt and other area landowners and offers $200.00 to take land away from their renters but cheats everyone else.
I heard that his father in law (Chainsaw Miller) finances his farming. So in other words farmers that buy from R&M oil are putting themselves out of business.
tenant

Highlandville, MO

#10 Apr 17, 2012
I think Gene does a great job... sometimes you get better work done if people get paid more.... it might also depend on the quality of the ground being farmed... some areas yield better crops so people will pay more to farm that land
Tell Me

Waterloo, IL

#11 Apr 18, 2012
OK I am curious why do you call him chainsaw Miller
Oh Boy

Waterloo, IL

#12 Jun 12, 2012
Yes
More please

United States

#13 Dec 8, 2012
More farming dirt please!
Check and know your facts

Valmeyer, IL

#14 Jan 29, 2013
Wow; the things you find online that people believe are true. Let me put a little truth to this string of comments, and I have known the family for over 30 years.

1. If your family is that good of friends with the Stumpf’s you would know his dad’s name is not Lester.

2. Gene has never farmed close to the 6,000 acres especially in the Marissa/New Athens area.

3. Why would they put their foot down? The Stumpf’s have taught their children to work hard and are proud of how they raised their children.

4. Bragging at the Monroe County Fair...really this is not his style by any means. And if he did make a comment of wanting to farm 7000 acres, who cares, everyone has dreams.

5. He does not go after other farmers’ acreage. It is the farmers who say they’ll do the 1/3 – 2/3 farming that turn around and rip-off their landlord by not paying their fair 1/3 that created the high cash rent prices for everyone else. Not only that, but elevated grain prices are pushing land prices higher too. If you owned the land wouldn’t you want to be guaranteed more cash instead of letting the farmer take a huge cut….and know that there is no way for them to cheat you? If a landlord opens up a farm to bid for cash rent anyone has the right to submit the price they are willing to pay.

6. R&M backing Stumpf’s Farm - ABSOLUTELY NOT!

7. Alan Payne being cheated….really, you need to check your info. The Stumpf’s had farmed the property for 25+ years. Mr. Payne inherited this property in 2006/2007. In 2010 his Monroe County taxes on the 2 parcels totaled $260.90. Now if Gene paid him $135.00 per tillable acre (77 according to the sale flyer) that would equal $10,395.00. If Mr. Payne cannot pay his tax bill of $261 with the amount of income is that Gene’s fault? It was Mr. Payne’s choice to sell and move to Florida. He did not do too badly on his inheritance. 41.81 acres at $14,600 =$610,426; 57 acres at $10,000 =$570,000; totaling $1,180,426.

8. Great point that some areas do yield better crops and anyone who farms should know this. It can change dramatically by county(s), state(s), or country.
bucnduc

Kansas City, MO

#15 Jan 30, 2013
Farmers make way too much money at our expense
Really

Lebanon, IL

#16 Feb 1, 2013
If that were true, everyone would be a farmer.
former farmer-s daughter

East Carondelet, IL

#17 Feb 1, 2013
Small farmers have never had it easy. With Big Agra buying more small farms and profiting from the Farm Bill, it's a wonder there are any small farms left. When millionaire celebrities receive money from farm subsidies because they own some land or a portion of a giant farm, you know there's a huge problem.

Since: Feb 13

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Feb 2, 2013
You obviously don't understand what it takes to raise crops/livestock....chances are a bag of seed corn which roughly covers 2.5acres cost more than half your weeks salary. Or the fuel they put in there tractor in one day cost more than you spend to drive too and from work in a month. Next time you eat a steak dinner or if you go to McDonald's you can thank the farmer that spent 15
months or more raising that 1 steer you just ate part of...and if your vegetarian you can thank the truck farmer.....
really its more like the farmers expense for your conveniences....very well said (check and know your facts)!
bucnduc

Kansas City, MO

#19 Feb 2, 2013
You failed to mention that the seed corn as well as fuel,(diesel, gas, propane) for there cars, trucks, four wheelers, house heating and new trucks, new cars, new farming equipment, new clothes, new guns for those pesky varmints that eat crops and live stock, new pole barns, and the list goes on THAT ALL OF THESE are all write offs against those bushels of corn(8.25 per bushel) and soybean(12.00 per bushel)
Amazing that they laugh all the way to the bank and this needs to change.
Ground taker 7000 acres

United States

#20 Feb 2, 2013
Where did you people find your information?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Millstadt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swansea Burger King (Sep '16) 8 hr Rollo 4
Skatepark Actiion (Jul '16) 9 hr Rollo 119
News James T. Hodgkinson showed all the signs before... 10 hr bohart 34
WHat is it with the "I paid my way stuff?" 12 hr The real Mike Wil... 14
448 Godin Ave Tue Leroy 5
Trump took a dump Jun 20 grumpy grandpa 7
Saturday Open Weight Challenge on Godin Jun 18 Estelle Rollo 14

Millstadt Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance