Sad

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

This is such heartbreaking news. I can not imagine the pain this family is going through. I heard the dad was a Scout Leader, does anyone know if it was for the Troop or the Pack?
news

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

he was out with just his 2 sons from what the news article say.
Sad

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

I was wondering if he was a Scout Leader for the Cub Scouts or the Boy Scouts. One is the Troop, the other is the Pack.
news

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

got ya. not sure on that one. so sad.
Kim from Texas

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

I know this family. I went to college with Dave's wife and have known Dave for over 10 years. Dave was a scout master for the cub scouts and was a co-founder of one of the Germany packs. He was former Air Force and served all over the world. He and his family were newly back in the states and had recently settled in Millstadt. The camping trip was a surpise 12th anniversary present for his wife. This whole family is very outdoorsy and it was not at all unusual for them to just pick up and go hiking or camping somehwere. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole sad situation. I know that the family will appreciate prayers and words of encouragement that all may offer.

Since: Dec 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Kim from Texas wrote:
I know this family. I went to college with Dave's wife and have known Dave for over 10 years. Dave was a scout master for the cub scouts and was a co-founder of one of the Germany packs. He was former Air Force and served all over the world. He and his family were newly back in the states and had recently settled in Millstadt. The camping trip was a surpise 12th anniversary present for his wife. This whole family is very outdoorsy and it was not at all unusual for them to just pick up and go hiking or camping somehwere. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole sad situation. I know that the family will appreciate prayers and words of encouragement that all may offer.
They will be in my prayers!
Just sayn

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

I'm from ellington missouri the county where this tragedy happened. My heart goes out to the friends and family. For more info visit ellington topix
Polecat

Lake Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

I have home in the area. Several of us locals know the terrain well and have resources for a search. They could have called us all out, we would have searched all night. Our sheriff dropped the ball and I am saddened this had to happen. We were all cozy in our homes with quads, horses, jeeps, trucks, spot lights. We could have helped, but no one even told anyone in town about the search. If you know the family tell them to i have this investigated. E are all tired of our sheriff not doing his job. In the past year there were 2 other children dead and one adult not investigated properly.
sorry but

Columbia, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

they should of prepaired for the hike, a few dollars of gear and all would still be alive. he lost repect for nature and they pidfor it. not the shriffs fault.
Kim from Texas

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

sorry but wrote:
they should of prepaired for the hike, a few dollars of gear and all would still be alive. he lost repect for nature and they pidfor it. not the shriffs fault.
You do NOT know the kind of man that Dave was, that is clearly obvious by your completely insensitive remark!! Had you known him you could NEVER say that. I did know Dave, for 10+ years and I have been close friends with Sarah for 15 years. Dave and the whole family respect nature, love nature, and appreciate nature. Hiking was one of their family's regular pastimes. I do NOT blame Dave for what happened. Had his flashlight not broken, he wouldn't have missed his turn and he and the boys would have made it back safely.

It REALLY makes me angry that so many people feel it's okay or even their right to tear apart a man they NEVER knew, a man who can't defend himself. How about you just keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say. Dave's family and friends have been through ENOUGH. We don't need you or anyone else pouring lemon juice in our wounds. Why can't you just say I'm sorry and leave off the blaming crap!! I'm glad you're perfect, I'm glad you never had something fail on you, I'm glad you have never made a mistake. Have some respect for Dave, the boys, and the rest of the family!!
AppleMoon

Salisbury, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Kim - I am sorry for the loss and the anger you received from a previous write. Loss affects everyone differently, and just like what was said earlier in a post on wrapping there head around what had happened.

With your closeness to the family, do you know why an autopsy was not involved, this would have been an unattended death for the father. I realize that the only information provided on details of the events is that of the paper, and the one I had read said no autopsy was scheduled.
Kim from Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
You do NOT know the kind of man that Dave was, that is clearly obvious by your completely insensitive remark!! Had you known him you could NEVER say that. I did know Dave, for 10+ years and I have been close friends with Sarah for 15 years. Dave and the whole family respect nature, love nature, and appreciate nature. Hiking was one of their family's regular pastimes. I do NOT blame Dave for what happened. Had his flashlight not broken, he wouldn't have missed his turn and he and the boys would have made it back safely.
It REALLY makes me angry that so many people feel it's okay or even their right to tear apart a man they NEVER knew, a man who can't defend himself. How about you just keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say. Dave's family and friends have been through ENOUGH. We don't need you or anyone else pouring lemon juice in our wounds. Why can't you just say I'm sorry and leave off the blaming crap!! I'm glad you're perfect, I'm glad you never had something fail on you, I'm glad you have never made a mistake. Have some respect for Dave, the boys, and the rest of the family!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Millstadt Discussions

Search the Millstadt Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 1 hr arby 6,534
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 1 hr arby 504
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr Dusty Mangina 47,063
new strip mall 14 hr Fred 16
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Fri jimtownhounddogsniffing 3,777
Saxtown Murders (Nov '09) Thu What is your name 48
Common Core Wed name 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Millstadt Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Millstadt People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE