Father and Two Sons Died

Father and Two Sons Died

Posted in the Millstadt Forum

Sad

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jan 14, 2013
This is such heartbreaking news. I can not imagine the pain this family is going through. I heard the dad was a Scout Leader, does anyone know if it was for the Troop or the Pack?
news

Arnold, MO

#2 Jan 14, 2013
he was out with just his 2 sons from what the news article say.
Sad

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jan 14, 2013
I was wondering if he was a Scout Leader for the Cub Scouts or the Boy Scouts. One is the Troop, the other is the Pack.
news

Arnold, MO

#4 Jan 14, 2013
got ya. not sure on that one. so sad.
Kim from Texas

Houston, TX

#5 Jan 14, 2013
I know this family. I went to college with Dave's wife and have known Dave for over 10 years. Dave was a scout master for the cub scouts and was a co-founder of one of the Germany packs. He was former Air Force and served all over the world. He and his family were newly back in the states and had recently settled in Millstadt. The camping trip was a surpise 12th anniversary present for his wife. This whole family is very outdoorsy and it was not at all unusual for them to just pick up and go hiking or camping somehwere. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole sad situation. I know that the family will appreciate prayers and words of encouragement that all may offer.

Since: Dec 11

United States

#6 Jan 14, 2013
Kim from Texas wrote:
I know this family. I went to college with Dave's wife and have known Dave for over 10 years. Dave was a scout master for the cub scouts and was a co-founder of one of the Germany packs. He was former Air Force and served all over the world. He and his family were newly back in the states and had recently settled in Millstadt. The camping trip was a surpise 12th anniversary present for his wife. This whole family is very outdoorsy and it was not at all unusual for them to just pick up and go hiking or camping somehwere. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole sad situation. I know that the family will appreciate prayers and words of encouragement that all may offer.
They will be in my prayers!
Just sayn

Lockhart, TX

#7 Jan 15, 2013
I'm from ellington missouri the county where this tragedy happened. My heart goes out to the friends and family. For more info visit ellington topix
Polecat

O Fallon, MO

#8 Jan 16, 2013
I have home in the area. Several of us locals know the terrain well and have resources for a search. They could have called us all out, we would have searched all night. Our sheriff dropped the ball and I am saddened this had to happen. We were all cozy in our homes with quads, horses, jeeps, trucks, spot lights. We could have helped, but no one even told anyone in town about the search. If you know the family tell them to i have this investigated. E are all tired of our sheriff not doing his job. In the past year there were 2 other children dead and one adult not investigated properly.
sorry but

Columbia, IL

#9 Jan 19, 2013
they should of prepaired for the hike, a few dollars of gear and all would still be alive. he lost repect for nature and they pidfor it. not the shriffs fault.
Kim from Texas

Houston, TX

#10 Jan 19, 2013
sorry but wrote:
they should of prepaired for the hike, a few dollars of gear and all would still be alive. he lost repect for nature and they pidfor it. not the shriffs fault.
You do NOT know the kind of man that Dave was, that is clearly obvious by your completely insensitive remark!! Had you known him you could NEVER say that. I did know Dave, for 10+ years and I have been close friends with Sarah for 15 years. Dave and the whole family respect nature, love nature, and appreciate nature. Hiking was one of their family's regular pastimes. I do NOT blame Dave for what happened. Had his flashlight not broken, he wouldn't have missed his turn and he and the boys would have made it back safely.

It REALLY makes me angry that so many people feel it's okay or even their right to tear apart a man they NEVER knew, a man who can't defend himself. How about you just keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say. Dave's family and friends have been through ENOUGH. We don't need you or anyone else pouring lemon juice in our wounds. Why can't you just say I'm sorry and leave off the blaming crap!! I'm glad you're perfect, I'm glad you never had something fail on you, I'm glad you have never made a mistake. Have some respect for Dave, the boys, and the rest of the family!!
AppleMoon

Easton, MD

#11 Jan 19, 2013
Kim - I am sorry for the loss and the anger you received from a previous write. Loss affects everyone differently, and just like what was said earlier in a post on wrapping there head around what had happened.

With your closeness to the family, do you know why an autopsy was not involved, this would have been an unattended death for the father. I realize that the only information provided on details of the events is that of the paper, and the one I had read said no autopsy was scheduled.
Kim from Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
You do NOT know the kind of man that Dave was, that is clearly obvious by your completely insensitive remark!! Had you known him you could NEVER say that. I did know Dave, for 10+ years and I have been close friends with Sarah for 15 years. Dave and the whole family respect nature, love nature, and appreciate nature. Hiking was one of their family's regular pastimes. I do NOT blame Dave for what happened. Had his flashlight not broken, he wouldn't have missed his turn and he and the boys would have made it back safely.
It REALLY makes me angry that so many people feel it's okay or even their right to tear apart a man they NEVER knew, a man who can't defend himself. How about you just keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say. Dave's family and friends have been through ENOUGH. We don't need you or anyone else pouring lemon juice in our wounds. Why can't you just say I'm sorry and leave off the blaming crap!! I'm glad you're perfect, I'm glad you never had something fail on you, I'm glad you have never made a mistake. Have some respect for Dave, the boys, and the rest of the family!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Millstadt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
50% off toilet paper sale 2 hr richard 1
Columbia Kinder College teacher accused of chil... 3 hr Derek 88
Chris chartrand. N Chris Marchbanks Ha... 5 hr Prove it 2
Black Friday Sales 6 hr Rollo 9
Frontier internet 7 hr Rollo 5
News St. Clair County resident wins $300,000 Illinoi... 11 hr BornRaised314Stl 3
Meth head 13 hr crack is wack 14

Millstadt Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Millstadt Mortgages