Bill to hurt Amish dog breeders

Bill to hurt Amish dog breeders

There are 34 comments on the Vindy.com story from Oct 12, 2007, titled Bill to hurt Amish dog breeders. In it, Vindy.com reports that:

“It will shut down many of the kennels currently operated in Holmes County”

Amish residents who breed dogs in Holmes County sell millions of dollars' worth of puppies each year, according to one professional breeder. via Vindy.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vindy.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cindy

Ithaca, NY

#21 Feb 24, 2009
Musician wrote:
The Amish are an easy target.
This is the way nannies work.
They won't go after the big boys that breed fighting dogs.
They will go after the Amish since they are an easy target.
This is the way nannies work, no matter what the topic happens to be.
I am not in favor of cruelty to animals with excessive breeding, no matter what the creed of the breeder.
However, the Amish are an easy target for these nanny bullies.
And bullies are exactly what they are.
Good Luck, this gal's exhausting.....:)

Since: Jan 09

United States

#22 Feb 28, 2009
bully how am i bullying them?
they dont have computors so i guess none are here to even read this post
i dont care whoi does it...its wrong
cindy

Ithaca, NY

#23 Feb 28, 2009
You have done nothing but bitch and blow smoke. You haven't told anyone anything that they don't already know. All the comments that you have posted in this and related topix have all been the same rant. You have asked for no help, have offered up no solutions, and have listed no facts. This is a discussion. You are argumentative, defensive, and immature. If you would actually read the other posts, you would realize that no one disagrees with you as far as animal cruelty. However they do not feel that PETA is taking the right approach to their cause.

United States

#24 Feb 28, 2009
ok so what have you said that people dont already know? what help have you asked for?and you havent given any solutions that people arent already doing..what because my opinion is different than yours means im defensive immature or argumentive? i could say the same of you..i know you dont disagree with animal cruelty as i did read, but you are defensive of the amish as musisian is also, argumentive what exactly would you call musician when he is ranting about people actling like nannies? would you call that ranting,
and on the other topic about the amish did i not say i dont agree with everything peta does? if you would have read what i actually wrote you would know that as well..we agree that animal cruelty is wrong and when i say the amish are wrong to do it too doesnt give anyone the right to argue with me, the first few comments on this topic were people that opposed the amish doing this then musician has to be rude about it..you need to practice what you preach, we have different views on the topic, and we have different opinions on how to handle it, but thats how the world works people dont always have a same opinion

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#25 Mar 3, 2009
I don't rant about nannies.
I just expose them.

United States

#26 Mar 4, 2009
whatever you just dont like it when others have a different opinion than you

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#27 Mar 4, 2009
SHS is an opinion, you are quite correct.

United States

#28 Mar 5, 2009
musician your a jerk..
Oh My Goodness

United States

#29 Apr 15, 2009
The story is dated Oct 12 2007
James

Houston, TX

#30 Apr 22, 2009
I admit to near-total ignorance in the realm of dog breeding, puppy mills, etc. However in reading the comments made by the Amish who so vehemently protest this bill, a few oddities stand out. Most notably;

"The people don't ask for anything from the government. All they want is an opportunity. The people work hard and play by the rules."

This is perhaps the most striking to me. First, they do ask things of the government - specifically, the right to avoid paying many taxes, the right to avoid military service through exemption from the draft, etc. They ask for these things and get them. Secondly, please tell me which rules they play by? Not to stereotype all Amish, but the ones near my community barely respect their own rules(and I'm being quite generous by saying only that), let alone anyone elses. In my opinion, to regulate them as our government regulates the rest of us is not only fair, but long past due.
dog lady

Little Valley, NY

#31 Jun 12, 2009
luvapup wrote:
What is brucellosis?
Brucellosis is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria of the genus Brucella. These bacteria are primarily passed among animals, and they cause disease in many different vertebrates. Various Brucella species affect sheep, goats, cattle, deer, elk, pigs, dogs, and several other animals. Humans become infected by coming in contact with animals or animal products that are contaminated with these bacteria. In humans brucellosis can cause a range of symptoms that are similar to the flu and may include fever, sweats, headaches, back pains, and physical weakness. Severe infections of the central nervous systems or lining of the heart may occur. Brucellosis can also cause long-lasting or chronic symptoms that include recurrent fevers, joint pain, and fatigue.
How common is brucellosis?
Brucellosis is not very common in the United States, where100 to 200 cases occur each year. But brucellosis can be very common in countries where animal disease control programs have not reduced the amount of disease among animals Where is brucellosis usually found?
Although brucellosis can be found worldwide, it is more common in countries that do not have good standardized and effective public health and domestic animal health programs. Areas currently listed as high risk are the Mediterranean Basin (Portugal, Spain, Southern France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, North Africa), South and Central America, Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, the Caribbean, and the Middle East. Unpasteurized cheeses, sometimes called "village cheeses," from these areas may represent a particular risk for tourists.
I have to say about the brucellosis you are complaining about. You forgot to ad that sometimes there is no signs or symptoms of the disease without testing then you do not know that your dogs have this. So there has to be an extensive investigation to see if the seller actually new that the dog had brucellosis and if the breeder intended to make compensation after they found out that the dog was in fact infected with the brucellosis. i am not fond of the amish I have gotten several bad dogs from the amish but my best breeder also came from the amish over 8 years ago it has been said that there are bad in everyone and this is correct. I know people that breed and they keep their so called loved breeders outside in little 12x12kennels with only a little dog house this to me is inhumane.
dog lady

Little Valley, NY

#32 Jun 12, 2009
Hey all. I think Ohio needs some kind of laws to protect the buyer and the seller. I also think that all people should be effected by the law if you breed 2 litters a year or 10 a year I am so sick of hearing I am just a hobby breeder. If you breed a dog with the intentions of selling it you are infact a breeder probably not a very good one but you are a breeder. We need laws for everyone. I personally think these people with 100 dogs and all are breeding need someone to step in cause hey I only have a few and it takes all I can to keep up with them infact I am doing the right thing and adopting out alot of them. Of course it is hard for me to say no when someone comes up and says I can't take care of this dog anymore so I end of feeling sorry and taking it in. But back to the laws at hand we do need laws for EVERYONE this needs to also include the amish they are not above the law if they are going to live in our communities shop at our stores then they need to go by our laws.
justmyopinion

Warsaw, IN

#33 Jun 14, 2009
i might not agree about the way some people are raising animals but whats wrong with america these days. if people put as much energy into helping underprivaliged kids and orphans and starving kids as they do for animals i think that would make alot more sense.
GardenThyme

Acton, MA

#34 Jun 15, 2009
i agree 100%

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Millersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reward Looking For Mitch Gann (Ran ujunkedit.c... (Apr '16) Jan 16 Ur a dummy 6
English man wants a life change Jan 1 Qwiktim 2
News Amish Communities Deal With Meth Problem | Ohio... (Aug '11) Dec 30 DoctorWho 6
Rt 39 Dec 28 NeverVisitingAgain 2
Rapist will be Living in Sugar Creek,yep friend... Dec 28 NeverVisitingAgain 3
News a Skins taking on top-ranked Pirates in regiona... Nov '16 good season 1
Vote for Donald J Trump Oct '16 MAGA 2

Millersburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Millersburg Mortgages