Bill to hurt Amish dog breeders

Oct 12, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Vindy.com

“It will shut down many of the kennels currently operated in Holmes County”

Amish residents who breed dogs in Holmes County sell millions of dollars' worth of puppies each year, according to one professional breeder. via Vindy.com

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of34
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Cheryl G

Walled Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2007

Judged:

I fully agree with passing this bill. The more I read into this topic(of which most people aren't aware!) The more my respect has fallen for these persons. The picture is painted that they are almost earth-bound angels, but they are appearing to be worse than the poor beasts they abuse for PROFIT!!!
God must be surely disgusted with these phoney judgemental cult of people.
Deb

Clarksville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

Judged:

The Amish in the Wayne and Holmes counties of Ohio have begun to think they are above the law. I believe that passing this bill is one of the best things that could happen! These counties cater to the Amish and will help push not to have the bill passed as they don't want to lose the business these people bring in through tourism and other business venues. Having lived among them for many years, they are NOT what they seem. They hide behind their religion ( or lack of ). The law, has at times, left punishment for crimes done, to the elders of the church instead of doling it out as they would the rest of us. ALL in the name of the almighty dollar. I say " Pass the bill." If enough investigation is done they will find this should have been done long ago and find that their other animals don't fare much better.
Dawn

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2008

Judged:

This should be passed. The Amish treat breeding dogs like livestock. They do not care if the animals are inbreed or not. MOST puppies end up with some sort of genetic issue like my Lhasa Apso who had to be put down at age 4. She had seizures, knee and hip problems, back problems which left her paralized. It was horrible to watch and go through. I tried EVERYTHNG to save her and couldn't. They should be closed down.
Deb

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2008

Judged:

I've seen some of the puppies that come out of the Amish kennels. They do not care about these animals, like puppymills, these innocent, helpless beings are simply a profit business. The best thing that can happen to puppies, and all animals, is to shutdown puppymills, shutdown these Amish kennels, start saving the lives of the millions of dogs and cats that are killed every year simply because they don't have a home. How very sad. Shut 'em down!
janice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2008

There is bad in both Amish and in anyone else there is also good but people tend to overlook them I have seen many good animals also come from the Amish and have wen to Non Amish people and have seen horrible puppies. I have also been to the dog auction and have bought a Boston Terrier that was in great shape and is a wonderful dog. Any auction you go to whether its a livestock or dog our Household or Farm equipment you get good and bad its everywhere.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Judged:

Warning to Holmes Countians.

Watch for these out of state nanny busybody posters to throw paintballs at your leather coats and shoes.

Too bad the Amish can't read all of these terrible things said about them unless they are running their laptops off of a windmill generator.
cindy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2009

janice wrote:
There is bad in both Amish and in anyone else there is also good but people tend to overlook them I have seen many good animals also come from the Amish and have wen to Non Amish people and have seen horrible puppies. I have also been to the dog auction and have bought a Boston Terrier that was in great shape and is a wonderful dog. Any auction you go to whether its a livestock or dog our Household or Farm equipment you get good and bad its everywhere.
DOG AUCTION?!?!?!? WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?
cindy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2009

I've heard of livestock sales. I've even heard of adoption fairs. DOG AUCTIONS!??? Come on. It even sounds awful.
cindy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2009

Musician wrote:
Watch for these out of state nanny busybody posters to throw paintballs at your leather coats and shoes.
Too bad the Amish can't read all of these terrible things said about them unless they are running their laptops off of a windmill generator.
Funny:)

Since: Jan 09

Gadsden, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Musician wrote:
i dont use leather...but that cant be compared to what they do....the poor amish everyone is being mean to them and i cant figure out why omg get serious whith all these people complaining there must be a good reason, im starting to think you are one of them,tell me do you really think the treatment of these animals are ok

Gadsden, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

cindy wrote:
I've heard of livestock sales. I've even heard of adoption fairs. DOG AUCTIONS!??? Come on. It even sounds awful.
it is terroble..its a never ending cycle starting like this
a mother dog is put in a cage to live out her days,she is underfed sometimes starves to death,she recieves no vet help,her cage is so small she cant move around,her nails are over grown not being cut get caught in the chicken wire follr she lives on she sometimes breaks bones b/c of this,some mommies have a rod put down their throat to mess up the voice so they cant bark,when she can no longer breed they toss her away like she is nothing and unless a good person comes by to rescue her she will die,her puppies make it into the pet stores or even kennals advertising from your paper as a loving breeder,when these puppies get bigger and dont sell its off to the puppy auction, and most often being bought to go to a mill and do just what her mother did...
i dont care if you are amish,or my neighbor, or the rich man in town or the judge or the catholic priest i would say its wrong....the amish does it yes and others do it yes= all are wrong that do this
cindy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

No kidding? That is what a puppy mill is? Everyone knowswhat a puppy mill is and how awful they are, but sometimes these things go too far. There are puppy mills everywhere, not just among the amish people. Protesters time would be best spent discussing issues of animal cruelty with their congressmen, or proposing to their individual state governments a bill that banishes puppy sales from the local pet stores. Think of the recent puppy auction in Ohio. Think of the number of protesters who attended. Think of how much money was spent traveling, and how that money could have been combined as a whole to serve a greater purpose for these animals.
Another thought...... Puppy auctions... Isn't funny how all of the people who are buying dogs from auctions to "rescue" them are basically contributing to the problem. Every penny that is spent by "rescues" to pay for these dogs is going back into the hands that mistreated them in the first place. For every dog that is "rescued" from a dog auction, another breeder female is bought. How do you think they get the money? It doesn't just come from the pet stores, it comes from people like yourself. People whom are standing up for a good cause, but in the wrong way. I have read over a few of your comments that you have made on the subject in the past few days. You have spent all of your words ranting in anger, and trying to tell everyone something they already know. You have not once in a calm,logical way give any possible solutions to this problem.
The problem isnt' just the puppy mills, it's anyone who puts money into their hands........ whether it be petstores or rescue organizations.

Gadsden, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

well i think i did say dont buy from pet stores...i think i said pet shop puppies come from mills..and there are people in washington working for laws, there are many people doing different things, and anyone being cruel has a way to piss people off, and no not all knows what mills are, no not all knows where pet shop puppies come from, you say im pissed off look at you i mean you seem so very upset cause protestors are there as i am upset with what they do, you say my way is wrong, i say your supporting them is wrong,you say im ranting well i say you are defending them, you might not feel compasion for animals i do, btw i dont have pet shop dogs, as i already said i dont care who is running the mill or auctions it could be a rich man a neighbor the presadent or the priest wouldnt make a difference to me it is wrong, so dont go and think im picking on your amish friends cause im not,i dont care who it is...
injustice is wrong and people should care,some people do have a heart, and this topic was about passing a bill, you and musician are the only ones in defence of them why
cindy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

cindy wrote:
People whom are standing up for a good cause, but in the wrong way.
I am not going to argue with you.I agree that puppy mills are wrong. If you would actually listen to what I'm saying you would understand that I feel that ..........Oh, I give up.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

The Amish are an easy target.

This is the way nannies work.

They won't go after the big boys that breed fighting dogs.

They will go after the Amish since they are an easy target.

This is the way nannies work, no matter what the topic happens to be.

I am not in favor of cruelty to animals with excessive breeding, no matter what the creed of the breeder.

However, the Amish are an easy target for these nanny bullies.

And bullies are exactly what they are.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

ok musician
as i have already said more than once ....i dont care who is doing it the amish, the president, a teacher or the priest
im not saying this because its the amish..whats wrong is just wrong
im going to give you a link so you can read up on what a amish puppy mills sold to a family
a boxer puppy with brucellosis aka malta fever and can be spread to humans
http://www.todaystmj4.com/features/iteam/7225...

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

What is brucellosis?
Brucellosis is an infectious disease caused by the bacteria of the genus Brucella. These bacteria are primarily passed among animals, and they cause disease in many different vertebrates. Various Brucella species affect sheep, goats, cattle, deer, elk, pigs, dogs, and several other animals. Humans become infected by coming in contact with animals or animal products that are contaminated with these bacteria. In humans brucellosis can cause a range of symptoms that are similar to the flu and may include fever, sweats, headaches, back pains, and physical weakness. Severe infections of the central nervous systems or lining of the heart may occur. Brucellosis can also cause long-lasting or chronic symptoms that include recurrent fevers, joint pain, and fatigue.
How common is brucellosis?
Brucellosis is not very common in the United States, where100 to 200 cases occur each year. But brucellosis can be very common in countries where animal disease control programs have not reduced the amount of disease among animals Where is brucellosis usually found?
Although brucellosis can be found worldwide, it is more common in countries that do not have good standardized and effective public health and domestic animal health programs. Areas currently listed as high risk are the Mediterranean Basin (Portugal, Spain, Southern France, Italy, Greece, Turkey, North Africa), South and Central America, Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, the Caribbean, and the Middle East. Unpasteurized cheeses, sometimes called "village cheeses," from these areas may represent a particular risk for tourists.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Is there a treatment for brucellosis?

Yes, but treatment can be difficult. Doctors can prescribe effective antibiotics. Usually, doxycycline and rifampin are used in combination for 6 weeks to prevent reoccuring infection. Depending on the timing of treatment and severity of illness, recovery may take a few weeks to several months. Mortality is low (<2%), and is usually associated with endocarditis.

Lafayette, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

i am in no way saying the amish are bad people their are good and bad in all people...
if there were a dog auction where i live i would be there to prtoest it....i believe animals should be treated good not bad, and not used for profit, if you cant treat it good then find someone that would
and as far as others being targeted there are others different people work in different areas
like for instance i knew a man that was fighting roosters wich i think is very cruel i told him what i thought about it, and as most he didnt care, i called animal control on him and they did nothing, my 10 year old son seen one of his roosters that had lost a fight, he asked him what he was going to do with it, and basically what he said was use it to tease the others wich meant he would get hurt again, my son has a big heart for animals and the man living down the road from us, my son went and got a play station game took it to him and said here i will give you a game for the bird, and so he said yes, believe it or not the rooster made a good pet for my son, and the rooster can live out his days not being tortured anymore....
this is what its about having a heart for animals, and when the bif shots wont help you do what you can
i just dont want people thinking im after the amish, thats not in amyway it,
but the topic was about the amish i wasnt here about the amish i was here b/c of puppy mills

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

1 min ago
yes i live in tn and the officials raded a big puppy mill aprox 700 dogs living in filthy conditions, dont see how anyone can do this to anything that is living,
so see its not just amish country, there are people working all corners on this
there are people working to stop dog fights cocke fights, puppy mills, dog auctions, transport of exotic species, working to save endangered specied, working to save the enviroment for us and them, protecting lands for wildlife to live on,people against the poching of wild animals,
the list goes on and on
there is a wide area not just the amish
but this topic was about amish puppy mills so not trying to step on anyones heals but this is wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of34
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Millersburg Discussions

Search the Millersburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 45 min xxxrayted 28,647
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sun gertrud 227
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 2 Lindsay 2,213
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun 27 Bobby Nye 178
Justin Melton is at it again May '14 Jamal 5
Puppy Mills (Oct '06) May '14 Berlin Pets 14
mobile home needed May '14 rsh 1
•••
•••
•••
Millersburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Millersburg Jobs

•••