LI police: `Satanic' taggers bragged on MySpace

Full story: Newsday
It wasn't long before four people were charged with a hate crime. "We tagged the street with spray paint, then drove to the church we passed on the way there and tagged all over it with inverted crosses, ... Full Story
Reverend Ygraine Mitchell

Sun City Center, FL

#1 May 15, 2007
"They were deep in Satanism," Reeckes said. "This was a message to the church: Satan is the Antichrist."

Nothing should scare us as much as that sort of ignorant comment from someone who is supposed to protect the populace and understand the nature of a "hate crime."

The criminals who vandalized a church and bragged about it on myspace.com are NOT Satanists, and the only thing they were deeply into was pretending to have some sort of religious motivation to excuse their anti-social behavior.

The religion of Satanism is codified in The Satanic Bible, and other literature endorsed by The Church of Satan. There are no "sects" of Satanism. There is Satanism and then there is Devil Worship which is based on Christian heresy. These crimes are un-Satanic and digusting to those of us who are members.

That someone in authority would give creedence to the old myths about Satanism is thinly disguised bigotry and profoundly ignorant. Moreover it does nothing but justify hatred of those who follow a legal and ethical religion.

Based on this stupidity ALL cases investigated by Reekes should be examined to discern whether his bigotry has affected other cases.

The Church of Satan supports the arrest of these criminals, but refuses to accept responsibility for the acts commited by those who have accepted definitions of Satanism from bigots, Christians, and the intentionally uninformed.

Rev. Ygraine Mitchell
Magistra, Church of Satan

Since: May 07

New York

#2 May 16, 2007
The accused have pleaded innocent, despite seemingly incontrovertible evidence. I wonder what their defense will be. Will they claim, for example, that someone else hacked into their MySpace account and planted "evidence" there? Such a thing is possible, of course. The evidence would need to be examined in more detail, to determine for sure that the accused are indeed guilty. The rest of us should keep in mind the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" and not be too hasty about drawing definitive conclusions.

Or will the defendants admit to having vandalizing the church, but simply deny that their activities constituted a "hate crime," "aggravated harassment," etc.?

Anyhow, I do not agree with Ygraine Mitchell's narrow definition of "Satanism." The word "Satanism" was in dictionaries and in use elsewhere long before Anton LaVey's Church of Satan came along. The word "Satanism" does NOT refer solely to the beliefs of the Church of Satan. For CoS members to claim such a semantic monopoly is hypocritical, given that LaVey himself did NOT respect the similar attempt by Wiccans to commandeer and monopolize the word "witch." (LaVey wrote a book titled _The Satanic Witch_.) There are, in fact, MANY kinds of Satanists out there, not just LaVeyan Satanists. The many other kinds of Satanists can easily be found in Internet forums. I myself am the owner of a website and some large Yahoo groups devoted to theistic Satanism.

But I WOULD say that activities such as church vandalism are not an expression of any serious form of Satanism. It serves no useful purpose in terms of the goals or principles of any serious and viable form of Satanism that I am aware of. Furthermore, the manner in which the recent vandalism was carried out (if indeed the defendants are guilty as charged)-- on the spur of the moment, then being so stupid as to brag about it on MySpace -- shows that it did not spring from any serious, thought-out religious conviction. This was just a bunch of very immature young people looking for trouble.
Adveluci

Danielson, CT

#4 Jul 7, 2013
Curious to see satanists quibble over origins and dogma since satanism is as old as satan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Miller Place Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arrest Report: DWI, Criminal Possession (Nov '11) 2 hr Busted 17
MARTIN SCHULTZ. GREECE. Tsipras 5 hr WAG 1
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 6 hr AN NFL FAN 120,765
Suffolk Community College (Jul '13) Fri Carol 7
Louis Volpe Thu Pontiac Salesman 7
Mr Steffan. Seibert Jan 26 Amg 1
vincenzo scarpetta uk . greek elections Jan 26 Cantor 1

Winter Storm Watch for Suffolk County was issued at January 31 at 3:34AM EST

Miller Place News Video

Miller Place Dating