Comments
61 - 80 of 86 Comments Last updated Monday Aug 18

Since: Oct 09

Hart County, KY.

#62 Feb 9, 2012
JOHN KIERNAN wrote:
Didn't Yarlow's sell gym clothes?
Isn't it he only place to get Sachem gym clothes?
I don't know if it was the only place to get 'em, but yes...they definitely sold gym clothes! Darn! That brings back memories- I remember those black shorts! They were so short!(Now everything's so long...and I complain 'cause I can't find short swim trunks and shorts!)
Kevin C

Holbrook, NY

#63 Mar 8, 2012
The Butcher shop was Straubs which now is a Tire place and if you go in there you can see on the left wall is still a light green that is still the same wall in the butcher shop, I went into there all the time as a kid.. Also Faynes pharmacy and Yarlows 5&10 store amoungst others.. I remember going also to Powers shoes as a kid to get my shoes..
Debbie

Denver, CO

#64 Mar 30, 2012
I lived in ronkonkoma and went to first street and peconic jr high. I remember riding my bike and loving it. The railroad tracks and I also had my birthday party at Dairy queen.i loved going to the Jerry Lewis theatre. It just seemed so safe to me. We lived 1 house down from the woods on walnut st and remembering thinking it was kind of haunted. We went to the st Joseph catholic church. I don't understand what you mean by the town being ruined what has happened to it. I live in Colorado now and haven't been back for over 20 something years.
Jimmy

Hicksville, NY

#65 Mar 30, 2012
Debbie wrote:
I lived in ronkonkoma and went to first street and peconic jr high. I remember riding my bike and loving it. The railroad tracks and I also had my birthday party at Dairy queen.i loved going to the Jerry Lewis theatre. It just seemed so safe to me. We lived 1 house down from the woods on walnut st and remembering thinking it was kind of haunted. We went to the st Joseph catholic church. I don't understand what you mean by the town being ruined what has happened to it. I live in Colorado now and haven't been back for over 20 something years.
Debbie, Ronkonkoma has experienced a lot of growing pains but it is still a great place to live. I remember coming home from the Army and making many new friends at HubaHuba. Time can change many things but hold on to your memories.
Jayar

Brentwood, NY

#66 Mar 30, 2012
Jayar

Massapequa, NY

#67 Mar 31, 2012
JOSEPH LAZZARO

Centereach, NY

#68 May 19, 2012
MY FAMILY OWNED THE DELI NEXT TO BRUNOS IN THE LATE 70S AND 80S --I REMEMBER TONY--AND THE PINK LADY!!
lee wittemamm

Ronkonkoma, NY

#69 May 28, 2012
jeanne carroll wrote:
does anyone remember the old hat went over train tracks on ronkonkoma ave?
yes my kids love to go over the old bridge.
lee wittemamm

Ronkonkoma, NY

#70 May 28, 2012
still live in ronkonkoma 43years. things have changed but i love the town.
jason

Commack, NY

#71 Jul 2, 2012
Anybody know anything about the old house that used to be on hill next to friendlys on Hawkins road?
jvogel

Dallas, TX

#72 Jul 3, 2012
Holbrook Fan wrote:
I was referencing the carvel on Portion Road close to Holbrook Road. Do you remember the name of the Pizzeria that was in the shopping center behind Roy Rogers? I remember going their as a kid with my dad and they gave us two sicilian pizzas for free because they messed up our order. Did anyone take driving lessons from Lake Auto School over by St. Joseph's Church? I will post more memories as soon as I can remember them.
I am from Centereach but my sister my mother and I all took lessons from Mel at Lake Auto Driving School. I used to have to get my orthopedic shoes from the Powers brothers until I was 11. Is the 5 corners deli still around?
Sachem 1964

Hicksville, NY

#73 Jul 4, 2012
Sachem 1964

Hicksville, NY

#74 Jul 4, 2012
Original T Jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the bakery you referring to was the H&H Bakery.
Man! Tom's Stationary back then was the BEST! I got 90% of my Matchbox cars there; punks to light and hold in mouths as if they were cigarettes and my mother even bought me 2 bikes there!!(One was a Ross, with a unique D-shaped handlebar).
I didn't even know Yarlows sold kids clothes (thankfully)- I thought they just sold old-lady clothes:D
And those clothes from Sears! They'd never wear out- they got passed down to several generations! I have a few old Sears catalogs which I bought on Ebay...I see some of the things I used to have and wish they still made them today- I was better dressed as a child than I am now!
Speaking of the Mall, anyone know where I can find any pics of the mall site as it was before the mall was built?
We were lucky to have grown-up in such a place....it was amazing.(I'm about 2 hours south of you, in southern KY.-only been here for 9 years so far- I've never been back to NY since moving here....it makes me sick to see what it has become- i.e. just the way it was when I left)
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/8597
barbara

Charlotte, NC

#75 Dec 15, 2012
I grew up in L Ronk in the 50's and 60's. My house was on foster rd. where the shopping center is now. The developer bought the house and moved it further down Foster Rd, and a bowling alley and movie theater then sat where my house used to be. I remember the pavilions around the lake, I used to go to cedar grove with my grandmother. I remember when Paul Fariello drowned in the lake. I remember the Tavern on The Lake. I remember that the library and then a pocketbook store used to be in the building on Hawkins ave where I think the historical society is now. I remember a group of guys had a "club" called the "Lake Rods" and they would hang out behind a candy store that was on the corner of Cleary and Portion. I remember the merchants in town would have drawings and people would win gift certificates to their stores. I remember at the time I thought it was BORING, but I miss it now.
anyone remember

Little River, SC

#76 Feb 7, 2013
as a kd(i'm 59 now) my family used to vacation on the lake and stay at a motel. right behind the motel was a beach and a tiny dock with some row boats. across from the motel was another, kinda mirror image motel with a pool behind it....anyone remember the name of the motel(s)..?? just remeer that the "owner" was guy named karl....
Jim

Endicott, NY

#77 Jun 6, 2013
Reeanne wrote:
I grew up in Ronkonkoma in the 60's and 70's and I LOVED it! I think we moved there about 1968 (I was 4 or 5)and we were like pretty much the only house around surrounded by woods(trees)EVERYWHERE. It was SO country and lots of nature to love until they started to develop it over the years. It happened so fast. I get so sad thinking about it. I can't even go visit anymore. I miss the way it was. Now there is a zillion homes, industrial buildings everywhere and no trees. I left that area in '79. I remember the Hardees and LOVED their burgers. I still think of them at times when I'm eating some crappy burger. I've told people about that place and they think it's the same Hardees that still exists around in places, but I don't think it is. I remember Wessons too(another great burger place), The Grant shopping center, Billy Blakes (then became Korvettes)...those were not in Ronkonkoma though, I don't think, but nearby somewhere. I was little and didn't know. Always wonder if the Macedonia farm is still there off 5th I think (otherwise known as the pig farm). I remember when that 7-Eleven was built on Peconic St. right by the Junior High School. We kids were THRILLED we were there all the time buying all the candy we wanted..LOL. I have many fond memories of living there and feel lucky I grew up there.
Hi Reeanne, I am from Ronkonkoma also - Billy Blakes was at the corner of Sunrise Highway and I believe Lakeland drive in the town of Holbrook before they built the over pass - I worked in Billy Blakes for the summer when I was 16 yrs old - My Mom had a horse ach and bording stables across the highway from Billy Blakes, Jim Doyle - jcdinform@yahoo.com
Kat

Smithtown, NY

#78 Jun 6, 2013
Caldor was Woolworth and then Woolco before it changed to caldor... I'm not sure if it was grants before or after? Anyone remember those two stores being there?
Ronk Man

Los Angeles, CA

#79 Jun 8, 2013
Kat wrote:
Caldor was Woolworth and then Woolco before it changed to caldor... I'm not sure if it was grants before or after? Anyone remember those two stores being there?
I do! It was Grant's first, when the shopping center was first built. Then, when Grants folded, the old Woolworth from Portion Road & Foster Ave. moved into the Grants building- and then became Woolco, I believe; Then Caldor; and now Kohls.

Anyone know if Eddie's Pizza is still in that center? That was there from day one!
Smokin Joe

West Babylon, NY

#80 Jul 15, 2013
Jayar wrote:
Great book on Lake Ronkonkoma...

http://books.google.com/books...
Moralbass

Holtsville, NY

#81 Jul 22, 2013
George Lipponer wrote:
The Yarlow brothers were named Max and Al. They had also owned a 5&10 in Brooklyn and lived on Smith Road.
Tom's Stationery was known as Gehweiler's, a department type store.
Bahrenburg's was the bakery across the street, now a Greek restaurant.
The former Ronkonkoma Stationery, directly across the street from Straub's market was the first A&P
in Lake Ronkonkoma.
I worked in yarlows when i was 14. great memories. I can still remember the smell of their pipes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Miller Place Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr crusty 117,970
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 4 hr Lol 16,781
Public School 74 (Feb '14) Thu Jayar 2
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Wed Vote Zornow 6,408
Slime Bags (May '12) Wed Busted 9
Ground Spraying for West Nile in Rocky Point Se... Wed Erin 1
Why hasn't CHRIS PARSLEY been arrested? (Feb '13) Aug 26 Billy Troel 6
•••

Miller Place News Video

•••
•••

Miller Place Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••