Yaphank shooting range dispute may go to state

Full story: Newsday

Brookhaven Supervisor Brian X. Foley has agreed to ask the state Pine Barrens Commission for a ruling on whether Suffolk Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays constitutes development in an environmentally sensitive ...
Comments
401 - 411 of 411 Comments Last updated Jan 29, 2014
First Prev
of 21
Next Last
nogunloverbut

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

i am no gun lover, but it is ridiculous that these people want to shut the range. yes, there were 3 houses before range was built, but all the houses build since then know that the range is there. they are saying that the developer told them that the range would be closed (or stay closed as the case may be) shame on you for believing a salesman! you bought your house near a shooting range. if you don't like it move. nobody is forcing you to live there. if you moved next door to a school would you try to get the busses eliminated, because they cause pollution too.

you should have thought about the noise before you bought your house.
Laz wrote:
Don't close the range!! It's been there since the 60s, apparently that means it's been there longer than most of these houses...what kind of morons buy homes next to a shooting range and then complain about the noise? Duhhh...maybe you shouldn't have moved there then. Where are we supposed to enjoy our hobby? We can't shoot off guns in our backyards or in any random patch of woods. Leave us our shooting ranges, don't close it down and build more mini mansions...if that happens I swear I will puke.
County Executive Gaffney

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2008

Judged:

nogunloverbut wrote:
i am no gun lover, but it is ridiculous that these people want to **** range. yes, there were 3 houses before range was built, but all the houses build since then know that the range is there. they are saying that the developer told them that the range would be closed (or stay closed as the case may be) shame on you for believing a salesman! you bought your house near a shooting range. if you don't like it move. nobody is forcing you to live there. if you moved next door to a school would you try to get the busses eliminated, because they cause pollution too.
you should have thought about the noise before you bought your house.
<quoted text>
You may wish to check the records
recently "uncovered" from around 1993-94. A letter from then County Executive Robert Gaffney stating that the county needs just one more year in order to move the range. So....who wouldn't "bet the house" and move here? The poor people who moved here were lied to by the county then, and still now. The difference now it..Steve Levy had a chance to right a very obvious wrong knowing all the wrongs involved, and he intentionally reopend it with the help of Ginny Fields, Cameron Alden, Foley and Foley, Michael Deeringm and many many others. The only question to ask is...how much did they have "donated" wink..wink...to them in their pockets by the supporters?
Executives Gaffney - Levy

Wappingers Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

County Executive Gaffney wrote:
<quoted text>You may wish to check the records
recently "uncovered" from around 1993-94. A letter from then County Executive Robert Gaffney stating that the county needs just one more year in order to move the range. So....who wouldn't "bet the house" and move here? The poor people who moved here were lied to by the county then, and still now. The difference now it..Steve Levy had a chance to right a very obvious wrong knowing all the wrongs involved, and he intentionally reopend it with the help of Ginny Fields, Cameron Alden, Foley and Foley, Michael Deering and many many others. The only question to ask is...how much did they have "donated" wink..wink...to them in their pockets by the supporters?
Amazingly sad story. Let me get this straight. We have two Suffolk County Executives purposely trashing a growing community,ruining peoples lives and putting our groundwaters in danger from the lead that the county itself classified as "hazardous waste", not to mention the admitted danger and concerns from lead dust. For what? votes and campaign money more than likely. Example: As Steve Levy told someone we all mutually know when asked why he reopened the ragne: " It was easy, a few pissed off residents or thousands of votes and donations!"

While on a roll here, considering the fact that county records state their concern for our environment because of the lead, where is Adrienne Esposito who heads Citizens For The Environment when she is needed most? She sat for years and still sits on county environmental review boards and one would think she would be all over this issue. Or is it the look the other way for my friend Stevie plan.
Lied to for too long

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

I actually have a copy of that letter and it's dated 1993.

In the letter, County Executive Gaffney describes the ongoing search for a new location for the range (as promised to the brand new residents by the COUNTY not the builder)and that the county needed a little more time to work out the details and that he was going to extend the vendor's contract one more year.

So let's recap, shall we?

Around 1991 - 92 people interested in buying new homes in the area near the range are told by the builder that it's moving to a new location. 1993, resident gets a letter from the County Executive explaining that the RELOCATION is going to take a bit longer than expected.

What relocation you ask? Why, the one the COUNTY said was going to happen.

So let's see, the homeowner's say they were told of relocation, then the County Executive confirms the story of relocation in an official letter to one of those very homeowners.

Once again, FACT trumps rumor.

But then, the range supporters wouldn't know a fact if one walked up to one of them and introduced itself.

Actually, they'd probably shoot it before it got that close because once you let one fact move in, it can ruin a whole shooting range (not to mention a year's old bullshit story).

LTFTL
Gaffney-Levy-Law suit

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2008

Lied to for too long wrote:
I actually have a copy of that letter and it's dated 1993.
In the letter, County Executive Gaffney describes the ongoing search for a new location for the range (as promised to the brand new residents by the COUNTY not the builder)and that the county needed a little more time to work out the details and that he was going to extend the vendor's contract one more year.
So let's recap, shall we?
Around 1991 - 92 people interested in buying new homes in the area near the range are told by the builder that it's moving to a new location. 1993, resident gets a letter from the County Executive explaining that the RELOCATION is going to take a bit longer than expected.
What relocation you ask? Why, the one the COUNTY said was going to happen.
So let's see, the homeowner's say they were told of relocation, then the County Executive confirms the story of relocation in an official letter to one of those very homeowners.
Once again, FACT trumps rumor.
But then, the range supporters wouldn't know a fact if one walked up to one of them and introduced itself.
Actually, they'd probably shoot it before it got that close because once you let one fact move in, it can ruin a whole shooting range (not to mention a year's old **** story).
LTFTL
Could it be that the head cahuna's of ALL shooters, John Cushman, and Bill Rabb were lied too also? We know they would not lie or testify on record to our legislators right?
They along with Legislator Cameron Alden, Ginny Fields, Mark Wrooble and many other shooters were/are always so confident when they demand proof of who said what. So now that you have such, maybe they all actually did lie and are still lying at the expense of a once growing community, at any expense. Sad crew. Good news is that the facts always win and will prevail soon.
Good find, and may your find, find its way to the proper authorities. Question I have now is, do the poor people who invested their lives here because of such facts and statments form elected officials have legal recourse to sue the county and range operators for knowingly ruining their lives and putting their children and families in harms way intentionally?
Now that would be some lawsuit! A couple million each would be well deserved.
Bill Raab Suffolk County

Middle Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2008

Hey Bill,
I hear you attended the parks committee meeting recently to complain about lack of support in the face of neighbors complaining etc....
now Bill...isn't this the same committee you all "managed" so well in your hey day to re-open this illegal and hazardous waste site?
Maybe now that they know that we and everyone else knows this thing was railroaded through and many "benefited" from reopening it, they will not be so helpful to you?
Maybe they all know they did a very bad thing and are now going to right a very obvious wrong Bill.
Good stuff. We are happy see Cameron Alden actually may be helping us now.
See you on the front lines Bill.
Glenn O
Lied to for too long

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2008

You may be right.
Maybe Cameron was trying to tell us something a few years back when he talked at length about "Due Diligence".
We took his "advice" and after a lot of poking around, we've uncovered a treasure trove of information as well as disinformation regarding what went on behind the scenes to reopen the range.
Now that Cameron is leaving office and he no longer "needs" the shooters, his conscience is beginning to show and as you say, he may indeed be trying to correct the horrible mistake - which is this range.

-LTFTL
Mr Realistic

Sayville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2009

Were you one of the 3 homes? 3 homes are hardly a leg to stand on compared to the hundreds built after the range so move or stuff it
Cameron Diligence wrote:
<quoted text>Actually you are incorrect. There were three homes there long before the range and they were paid a yearly fee not to sue the range when it was opened back then proving it has always been a nuisance. I really wish everyone would do their due diligence before sounding off so the facts are published properly and not the simple rhetoric we always see from supporters. Thank you for your time.
Jeff

Ronkonkoma, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2009

Just visit:

www.LongIslandFirearms.com for a complete story!
Pamela Powers

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

there are hunting seasons,where farmers listen to the shots of the hunters guns,its like knowing a ball park is going to get built in your neighborhood,more traffic,lots of noise from spectators,seems most are aware of these situations before they buy there homes,and then there are some that have the homes beforehand and are told what is being put in progress,meaning you had the chance to sell and relocate,nothing is done without ordinances,I personally think that shooting is more an outdoor sport,I also believe that some people find reasons to omplain,if it wasnt shooting perhaps they would find fault with breathing,shooting has been a way of survival for years ,hunting for food,protecting ones land,it is a natural right,done properly of course,and proper to me in at the range,with professionals teaching and our young and old playing a sport together,I wish people would let people enjoy some of the little things in life without this complaining,after all maybe just maybe one day one of your own may want to venture into the wonderful world of shooting,besides they dont shoot at night keeping you awake,,,,hours vary,wake up america,stop taking away what some value
yaphank resident

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2014

i hear a lot of you sayin what moron would buy a house near a gun range and then complain about the noise??? well what you don't know is I bought my home in Yaphank in 2004 when the gun range was closed,, and before buying the home, we did extensive researching on the the gun range before buying the home. we found that the gun range could not reopen after being closed down for so long and hence there would not be a gun range there any longer. Well people pulled strings politicians were politicians and after moving into my nice quiet home in 2004, a couple years later the range was reopen and now its soo noisy and embarrassing on the weekends when we have company over. I am in favor of you guys shooting your guns at gun ranges, I am all for it, however im just sticking up for the people who bought there homes in Yaphank around the time my family did. We were all told by everyone that the gun range could not legally reopen ever again!!! The noise levels are way above the legal limits, is that ok? one pissed off dude!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Miller Place Discussions

Search the Miller Place Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 7 min teddy Joe McCarthy cruz 6,341
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 hr CowardlYID Fkrs 114,979
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 9 hr Redumblican Teabagger 6,359
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 12 hr Sham Hannuty 16,777
Giant Garage Sale Jul 21 Charlie 12
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Jul 20 Sham Hanutty 436
Fake Prostitute Snares 20 Men In Bay Shore Sting (Aug '06) Jul 19 CarolineZ 61
•••
•••

Miller Place News Video

•••
•••

Miller Place Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Miller Place People Search