cna's- underpaid and underappreciated

Posted in the Milledgeville Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
disgruntled

United States

#1 Dec 7, 2010
We don't make nearly enough for what we do. And some of the families of the people we take care of think we are servants apparently.
truebut

United States

#2 Dec 7, 2010
That's very true. CNA's do deserve better pay than they get around here for the amount of hard labor that they do. You guys are often pushed to the max and have to cut corners just to get things done. I know, I've dated a few in the past and heard all the stories.... But, on the same hand please also bear in mind that it is the healthcare field and your primary motivating factor should be that you enjoy helping people. Granted that some people are more agitant than others but nontheless you must keep in mind that the families loved one that is in the nursing home is probably not in too good of shape and the family itself is most likely very stressed out over this, if they even come to visit. I hear some don't. All in all, demand respect but also be compassionate and patient to not only the patient, but the family that is also suffering through this. After all, they are the ones paying you to help them and I don't mean that in a smart way.
Dang Tootin

Johnson City, TN

#3 Dec 7, 2010
Yes , this is true but, if these nursing homes and health care providers paid more they would get better service. People don't become CNA's just to help take care of the elder or handicapped. Although, they do care about their jobs and patients most also have a family to feed and support. When you have extra money it makes your home life better and when your homelife is better then you'll feel better at work and can perform the tasks that your suppose to do. Heck most of them that I know barely makes enough to get back and forth to work. That's not the way it's suppose to be for anybody. Savannah Health Care hasn't gave their CNA's a raise in I know 2 years if not more. The only folks there making the money is the administrater and her few good friends. Park Rest is just as bad. They hire you in at a certain rate and that's all you get. No raise no appreciation for the work you do. I don't work at these places but I have very close friends that do and I don't see how you do it and I feel for each of you. Because I know sometimes you don't feel appreciated for what you do. Truth is God sees it and you will be rewarded for this someday. The ones that do you wrong( by not giving raises). Well they will get there's too.
Grizzly

Summerville, GA

#4 Dec 8, 2010
Yes there are a few that deserve to make more. But there are just as many that are slugs and don't deserve anymore. I no longer work in the health care field, but things are still the same you get paid for what you know not what you do. And if its that bad start looking for a new job. Don't stay miserable.
Cynthia

Kingsport, TN

#5 Dec 8, 2010
I have been a CNA for 10 years now. I care for my patients but it is a very stressful job. I get paid very little for doing the most work. Not only does this job affect me mentally but physically as well. What gets me the most is when we are short. There's plenty of people in the office sitting on their as$ and we are busting ours while we make barely anything and they make a lot more. Some of the nurses think they are better then us so while they text on their phone they scream at us to get a patient if they call wanting care(mostly something simple like another blanket)Just because they have a nursing license they think they are to good to do on hands care. We are only human so if we happen to get sick(being around sick people can sometimes do that) we will get in trouble. We get recognized for our faults but never praised for our contributions.
Well Wipe my Butt

Olive Branch, MS

#6 Dec 8, 2010
When I get old and crusty I'll be very appreciative when you come scape the dried poop off my hiney.

True, I bet it doesn't pay what it's worth.
Lonesome Pine

Cookeville, TN

#7 Dec 8, 2010
Well, I hear ya, I'd like to be paid more too and believe I deserve it. BUT, the way the economy is right now, I'm just glad I have a job. And I appreciate my employer too. With so many out there out of work, he can replace me if he wants to. And if you think that you can't be replaced, then just try it! Appreciate what you have right now and work on things getting better later on
truebut

United States

#8 Dec 8, 2010
Cynthia wrote:
I have been a CNA for 10 years now. I care for my patients but it is a very stressful job. I get paid very little for doing the most work. Not only does this job affect me mentally but physically as well. What gets me the most is when we are short. There's plenty of people in the office sitting on their as$ and we are busting ours while we make barely anything and they make a lot more. Some of the nurses think they are better then us so while they text on their phone they scream at us to get a patient if they call wanting care(mostly something simple like another blanket)Just because they have a nursing license they think they are to good to do on hands care. We are only human so if we happen to get sick(being around sick people can sometimes do that) we will get in trouble. We get recognized for our faults but never praised for our contributions.
Everything she said sounds like things I've heard from other CNA's in the past as well. It's not fair that the RNs and LPNs get to sit on their butts when they aren't doing paperwork. But as usual, those with college degrees are professional lazies. I don't have a college degree, I taught myself everything I know in my line of work. Time and time again I have run across those types of people that think they are better than everybody else because they spent thousands on a college degree. It's really sad
lmao

Kingsport, TN

#9 Dec 8, 2010
Well Wipe my Butt wrote:
When I get old and crusty I'll be very appreciative when you come scape the dried poop off my hiney.
True, I bet it doesn't pay what it's worth.
If you are lucky enough to make it to a nursing home. If your ss or retirement is a bunch and the ppl over you decide hell free money u might have to suffer a slow painful death while your hard earn money is spent and not on your care. It's sad but it does happen. So be careful who you put in charge of you in your time of need.
whocares

Chatsworth, GA

#10 Dec 8, 2010
I have been a CNA for 20 years and you are correct. I have met on nurse who says CNAs should be paid just as much if not more then a nurse.
well

Kingsport, TN

#11 Dec 8, 2010
Lonesome Pine wrote:
Well, I hear ya, I'd like to be paid more too and believe I deserve it. BUT, the way the economy is right now, I'm just glad I have a job. And I appreciate my employer too. With so many out there out of work, he can replace me if he wants to. And if you think that you can't be replaced, then just try it! Appreciate what you have right now and work on things getting better later on
Well then what do you do for a living? does it involve taking care of 10+ residents a day? all by yourself? doing everything humanly possiable for them? cna work is almost one of the hardest job a person can do! and it takes a very caring and loving person to do it!! they dont get paid near enough!! and yes the really good cna's bust there butt every day doing there job. while nurses sit on theres!!! getting paid to sit there barking orders.. and the economy has nothing to do with it..its been going on 4 ever!! and being replaced by someone else? yeah right!!! 90% of the time that someone else is just starting dont care about there job and only in it to only half way do anything while there at work!! so all the older hands need just as much if not more then the nurses..instead of getting rid of them and them just being thankful they have a job!!!
whocares

Chatsworth, GA

#12 Dec 8, 2010
Lonesome pine, you sound like someone who works out on Lonesome pine road.
wow

Chatsworth, GA

#13 Dec 8, 2010
there are several MUST professionals that are not paid what they deserve !! But, most are just happy to have a job right now.
Lonesome Pine

Cookeville, TN

#14 Dec 8, 2010
wow wrote:
there are several MUST professionals that are not paid what they deserve !! But, most are just happy to have a job right now.
That what I was trying to say when the dummies started jumping down my neck. They think that everyone that post on here is degrading them or a family member I guess.And it doesn't matter what I do or what anyone else does. If they are glad to have a job right now, then so be it. wiping butts, or intenation banking, it doesn't matter. just be glad in these times
whocares

Chatsworth, GA

#15 Dec 8, 2010
People should be glad they have a job right now. But they can also try to improve the existing job they have. CNAs need better pay for what they do.
disgruntled

United States

#16 Dec 8, 2010
I love my job and love the people I take care of. Why else would I choose to clean up poop and puke and to get spit on, slapped, punched,kicked, and e.t.c. My point was people look down on us like we are lower than them. I tell someone what I do for a living and they look at me like I just crawled out of a gutter. I agree nurses are the worst ones.
Now a nurse

Kingsport, TN

#17 Dec 8, 2010
I was a CNA for 4 years during which I worked full time to put myself through school to become a nurse. It was one of the hardest times if my life, going to school 5 days a week and working 37-40 hours a week on top of that. I worked every weekend!
CNA work is very hard and demanding. I understand you wanting to be paid more but it's not going to happen. Not to sound argumentative but you are the low man on the totem pole. If you are not happy do what I did and better yourself.
Brady

Memphis, TN

#18 Dec 8, 2010
You know, almost anyone with a job will tell you that they themselves are overworked and underpaid.
well

Kingsport, TN

#19 Dec 8, 2010
Now a nurse wrote:
I was a CNA for 4 years during which I worked full time to put myself through school to become a nurse. It was one of the hardest times if my life, going to school 5 days a week and working 37-40 hours a week on top of that. I worked every weekend!
CNA work is very hard and demanding. I understand you wanting to be paid more but it's not going to happen. Not to sound argumentative but you are the low man on the totem pole. If you are not happy do what I did and better yourself.
well then let me ask you this..since you worked as a CNA for 4 yrs and put yourself through school to become a nurse. do you look at your residents that need something right then and holler for the cna taking care of them? or are you a team player and take that resident and do what needs to be done? ive had nurses hunt me down and me being already with a resident doing something and they start screaming for me to hurry up because they refuse to lift one finger..or they are affraid of hurting there back! i was always taught residents are everyone resposabilty when they are in need of help but 50% of the time nurses just scream for you to do it!!! resulting in a resident having accidents and having to sit in it til that cna can get around to getten to em its sad!!! but i know how it all works been there done that!!! if you are one of the nurses that helps then i will say i am very proud for you doing all that you are doing!!! and have done!!! but if your one of the nurses sitting back screaming at everyone else then you need to think about this.. what if it were one of your family memebers work never hurt anyone!!!
whocares

Chatsworth, GA

#20 Dec 8, 2010
It's attitudes like you nurse who make it hard for CNAs to get a decent wage. If it wasn't for aids, nurses would be doing what we do. CNAs need better wages and people need to fight for that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Milledgeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steven Mitchell 5 hr Hesaloser 6
respect 11 hr Stand tall 2
Scotty powers! (Aug '13) 15 hr Guest 19
jada burns 16 hr Lil Rastus 3
trying to locate a troubled friend by the name ... (Sep '11) 17 hr tcare41 6
Methadone clinic 21 hr Pickwick girl 3
Chris Jett (Apr '15) Tue ButtFart McAssWipe 8

Milledgeville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance